What is it? Set 416

This week's set is ready, I haven't changed anything here since the newsgroup service provider said they would look into the problem of dropped posts, hopefully they have it figured out by now.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

That's the first original post I've seen by yourself in months, so looks like ES have sorted it.

David B

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

I believe #2412 is a blowtorch for use with a lead pot . Plumbers useta use them for making joints in cast iron drain pipes .

Reply to
Snag

I believe #2412 is a blowtorch for use with a lead pot . Plumbers useta use them for making joints in cast iron drain pipes .

Reply to
Snag

Glad to hear that they fixed the problem!

Reply to
Rob H.

I did not do well on any of this puzzle's mysteries other than the blow torch I agree with Snag about the plumber's lead pot. Here is an overly simple picture:

DanG

)>>

)>>

)>> Rob )>

)> That's the first original post I've seen by yourself in months, so looks )> like ES have sorted it. )>

)> D ) ) ) Glad to hear that they fixed the problem!

Except that in this post you wrote something different (the comment about not having changed anything), so it wouldn't trigger the 'almost exact same post' filter. By stating that you didn't do anything different, you did something different. Heisenbug, indeed!

SaSW, Willem

Reply to
Willem

2410: A welders chipping hammer. It is missing the brush on the back. No question about it. The chisel end has been ground to a point, it is usually a straight chisel edge new.
Reply to
Phil Kangas

I wonder if the #2411 is some type of carpet stretcher

Yep, found one on Ebay:

DanG

Rob H. wrote the following:

2410 appears to be a slag remover for a welder.
Reply to
willshak

This is correct, some people also call it a welders slag hammer.

Reply to
Rob H.
2412 is a blowtorch for use to preheat an old traktor engine:

Am 24.11.2011 10:53, schrieb Rob H.:

Reply to
Walter Kraft

I'm sure it could also be used by a plumber but according to the owner it was used for a different purpose other than soldering or melting lead.

Reply to
Rob H.

2407: stirling cycle engine

Well i can see it Rob so it looks like it worked wooo hoo

Reply to
Robin Halligan

Yes, the owner said it was for preheating the early Hit/miss oil field gasoline engines. Thanks for the link, I couldn't find another one of these torches on the web.

Reply to
Rob H.

2407 - Stirling engine 2408 - Looks like the bar is to knock down whatever you are collecting with the tines. Hand collecting grain? 2409 - Best guess, a crimper for decorative metal foil ribbon. 2410 - Yup, Welder's Slag Hammer with a reground tip and no brush. 2411 - Wool carding hand tool 2412 - Vertical gasoline blowtorch - for a lead melting pot or other stationary uses.
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human
2407 A couple of people have stated that this is a Stirling engine. I was led to discount that possibility because of 2 factors: Both cylinders seem to have cooling fins, while one cylinder of a Stirling engine is heated. The pistons, unless there is an interesting gear arrangement in the middle, seem to be 180 degrees out of phase, rather than 90 degrees for a Stirling engine. If this is a Stirling engine, can someone explain how it works?

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

I'd need to see it up closer, because that sure looks like an alcohol burner in the middle at first glance... but two cylinder Stirling with the hot sections common in the middle.

-->--