What is it? Set 417

Just posted my set for this week:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

2415 looks like a potting soil plug press.
Reply to
Mouse

2418 looks like a hand powered hedge trimmer.
Reply to
joeljcarver

2414: A catch to hold window shutters open?

2416: Very old polished brass or bronze vanity mirrors.

Reply to
anorton

2413 A tool to assist in manually baling hay (or equivalent)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

2416: BB gun targets?
Reply to
J Burns

Correct, they are also known as soil blockers.

Reply to
Rob H.

This one would be hard to guess so I'll give a clue, it's part of a tool.

Nope

Reply to
Rob H.

It isn't for baling hay but it _is_ farm related.

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope

Reply to
Rob H.

hmmm.... maybe, just maybe, these could be "doorbells"? ding ding there's someone here........ very polite..... ;>)}

Reply to
Phil Kangas

2413 Horse Harness

2414

2415 Soil Block maker for Growing seedling

2416

2417

2418 Hedge trimmers

Robert

Reply to
Robert

That's not it, they are animal related.

Reply to
Rob H.

2413, Guess#2: For stretching a hide (as in making leather)?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

ahhh huh! They could be bridle or leash anchors?

Reply to
Phil Kangas

2413) Too small for a horse.

Perhaps a harness for drawing a cart using a goat?

2414) A multi-position stop for something like the push handle on a lawnmower. A lever on the handle would connect to the left-hand eye, and it would pivot on the right hand eye. It would have to move a certain distance to allow the locking pin to move from one slot to the next to lower or elevate the handle.

2415) Perhaps for making cubes of potting soil and poking holes into which to place one seed per cube.

2416) Mirrors which normally hang with the reflective surface pointed away?

Targets to designeed to spin around the pivot when hit? (But that small, it would be likely that the decorative frame would be hit too often.)

2417) Interesting. I can only make a guess here.

The rim mounts a reflecting lens, which is designed to focus just a bit below the conical hole in the upper frame. This could be used for heating something in a crucible mounted in the conical socket which protrudes below the frame to protect the frame from being in the primary focus.

The figures are probably inches of focal length for the reflective lens.

If the conical hole were faced the other way, I would expect a refractive lens instead of a reflective one, but with the existing hole, the contents would fall out too easily.

2418) A hand powered hedge trimmer -- cuts one tooth worth at a time because the force required to cut all at once would be too great for easy hand operation.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Nope

Reply to
Rob H.

No but you're pretty close.

Reply to
Rob H.

Am 02.12.2011 09:46, schrieb Rob H.:

they might be holders for the reins on a carriage?

Walter

Reply to
Walter Kraft

Good guess, they are fly terrets, the ones in my photos are mostly just for decoration on work horses, but similar items that don't have the center part are used as guides for reins.

A while ago I had posted a strange looking item that the owner had said was a hood ornament for a car but I'm pretty sure that it's actually a fly terret, a photo of it can be seen here:

The answers for this week's set have been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.