What is it? Set 416

On 11/24/2011 3:53 AM, Rob H. wrote: First is an Essex air engine...sold as toys in old Monkey-Ward cagalog and larger versions used for light power applications--arcade games amongst them.

--

Reply to
dpb

Here's a page of interest re:

Reply to
dpb

Yes, it's a hot air engine, 1/40th hp for running a fan or other light duty devices.

Reply to
Rob H.

2407) Looks like a Stirling heat engine. Not sure what it is intended to power but the groove on the flywheel looks like a match for the belt on the old foot treadle powered sewing machines, which would be a reasonable load for this kind of engine.

2408) Perhaps for digging up potatos.

2409) Looks like something to feed and (perhaps split) some ribbon form of workpiece. It feeds through the pair of gears with grooves. Whether it feeds out the U-shaped guide shown on the near side or feeds in through that is not yet clear. If the width of the guide matches the width of the workpiece, then the gears will punch two rows of holes near the edges of the workpiece -- leaving it looking something like movie film.

2410) Perhaps a grate shaker for an old wood stove, or a coal fueled furnace.

2411) No clue -- other than nasty to have sliding against your skin. Perhaps part of a wool carding setup?

2412) Gasoline or kerosene fired heater -- looks like a modification of the old plumber's blowtorch.

Now to post this and then go see what others have suggested. (It does not help that the punkin' chunkin' TV special is on while I'm typing. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

They do! Thanks for putting up with this furor.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

2408 looks good for controlling weeds that spread by stolons, such as Bermuda (devil's) grass and English ivy. The blade would serve as a depth gage so you won't damage desirable roots. The curved tines would pull stolons above ground level so you can yank them out.
Reply to
J Burns

Thanks for the info. The patent:

particularly good, in that it is short and clearly explains how it works. Tricky, using a loosely fitting displacer piston.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

2408 Hand Harrow

2411 Ice Shaver with pick in the handle

Reply to
phorbin

You're right about it being an alcohol burner in the middle, my answer for this is that it's a hot air engine, I don't know if it's considered some type of Stirling engine or not, I'll let someone else answer that question.

Still not sure about two of the items this week but the rest of the answers can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

On 11/25/2011 4:13 PM, Rob H. wrote: ...

Strictly speaking and by current convention, no.

'Stirling engine' should refer exclusively to a closed-cycle regenerative heat engine with a permanently gaseous working fluid.

These aren't.

--

Reply to
dpb

Hey, I resemble that remark.

-T.E.Stosterone

Reply to
Theodore Edward Stosterone

How about that! It actually says that running sewing machines is one of its uses - and that was what I had suggested based on the pulley groove being similar to the old foot-treadle operated sewing machine which my grandmother had and which I played with as a kid.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Exactly!

Is this that dead cat thing? :)

Reply to
William Bagwell

Rob, Just a thought on 2408. May be a garden tool, but also makes me think of something grab loose straw or hay with, as the tines look a little light for digging in dirt.The sping loaded piece looks like something to keep the tines from stabbing into unwanted areas, or to help push stuff off of te tines. nORM

Reply to
Nahmie

My guess for 2409:

2409 looks a lot like a machine for bending rods or tubing. The crank would feed the rod/tubing between the toothed wheels. The handle would control the bend radius.

I also use Eternal September, and for the first time in months I saw Rob's initial post.

Rob: Keep up the good work. Over 2000 objects, and you are still finding interesting and puzzling objects. Thank you!

Carl G.

Reply to
Carl G.

Sounds like a good use for it, I'll mention this to the owner and see what he has to say.

Reply to
Rob H.