O/A question

My new Harris O/A setup has the regulated oxygen guage scaled to 150 PSI.

Not much resolution when I am trying to set Oxy to 3-5 PSI "per the book" for small stuff. None of the charts the vendor gave me show a Oxy PSI above 60, most far below that.

Is it common to change out the Oxy regulated pressure guage for something scaled lower ?

thx, FF

Reply to
Flash

No expert here, but not too common, AFAICT, due to general phobias bout O/A.

What I would do is put in a T, and some hose connected to a regular air "quick connect", put the male fitting on the lower-pressure gauge, and snap it on whenever I needed it. This way the stock gauge is always there, and if you will be using the O/A 'traditionally" you can just pop off the small gauge.

Or T up the small gauge permanently, w/ it's own little ballvalve.

Mebbe some safety stuff I'm omitting. But, I've made it this far... :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Maybe your gauge is showing the TANK pressure and not the OUTLET pressure? - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I've always seen those gages at 60 psi on the O2 regulator, but even *those* don't read very well below 10, no mechanical gage like that reads well on the last tic mark, really.

I like to have a 30 psi gage, I don't do any cutting with the rig.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

pressure? - GWE

Nope... 2000 psi wouldn't be outta line. An unregulated oxygen tank would blow the Bourdon tube in a 150psi gauge.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I'm not an expert, but I do have an O/A rig. I don't think it matters much. The final adjustment is done at the torch handle. All the regulator does is drops the pressure down to a small pressure and maintains it there. The valve on the torch needs a constant pressure to work consistently.

I would guess that the regulator will control the pressure between 0 (more or less) and 100 psi. This guess is based on the 150 psi gauge. If the manufacture puts a 60 psi gauge on a 100 psi regulator, then most people will end up destroying them and demanding a new one.

Vince

Flash wrote:

Reply to
Vince Iorio

It really doesn't matter. Set the Oxygen about where you think 5 PSI is and you'll be fine. While 150 PSI is a bit over the top, it is rated significantly higher than the welding pressures for use with a cutting torch.....

OTOH, if you never expect to need a cutting torch there is no reason not to change the gage out for an OXYGEN (QUALITY) gage. Go to a welding shop to buy one.... do go cheap on an oxygen gage...

Reply to
Gene Kearns

"Gene Kearns" It really doesn't matter. Set the Oxygen about where you think 5 PSI is and you'll be fine. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The low pressure gauge doesn't really give you useful readings until you get up to cutting pressures. I think most people just watch the needle move up a little, so they know they have gone past the free travel of the regulator setting.

I was taught by a very good welder, who recommended lighting the torch, and then using the regulators to balance the flame. You can then "fine tune" using the torch valves, and the flame is very stable. I like that method. Trying to adjust the torch from recommended settings, using the pressure gages, doesn't work for me.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

You can change the gauge, but be SURE to get a new Oxygen-rated and cleaned gauge, and use only approved thread sealants (if any). When in doubt, take the regulator in to a welding supply and let a trained technician do it for you.

Pure Oxygen reacts rather violently if it comes in contact with any oils or greases and many other chemicals (up to and including going BOOM! and starting big fires if the cylinder starts venting) and you REALLY don't want to be in the area when it does.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman