O/A Tank Transportation

I'm thinking about getting an O/A welding setup, but only have a small car (Honda Civic).

I know filling the larger cylinders is cheaper in the long run, but there's no way for me to carry these in my car. Do I have any options here, or should I forget about O/A for now?

Jake

Reply to
Jake

For OA, you don't need huge cylinders. I use ones which are about waist high. These fit in my back seat easily. When I'm transporting them in my car I make sure they are secured (usually with seatbelts) and have the safety cover over the valve stem. I try to keep the acetylene as upright as possible. Even so, I let the acetylene stand upright for at least an hour before trying to use it.

I can *barely* squeeze a 249 cubic inch bottle of Argon or C25 into my car.

If you are doing more than hobby work and need *big* cylinders, you can always look into having them delivered.

Jeff Dantzler Seattle, WA

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Buy, rent, or build a small two wheel trailer. Or rent a truck (Home Depot has a good deal if you only need the truck for an hour or so). Or have the gas supplier deliver. Most have trucks that run weekly delivering gases. Talk to your gas supplier to determine which would be your best option.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

I have no idea about other areas of the country, but here in New Jersey I have seen a couple of gas suppliers give folks a hard time about putting acetylene tanks in passenger cars. I think there is a state law that says you can't put them in an enclosed vehicle, because of the slight risk and huge cost of leaky valves.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Meier

When I had the Pacer I could'nt get cylinders in the back seat either. I just did all my welding on the street in front of the welding shop, and when the cylinders ran out it was very convenient because I only had to go 50 feet to get them filled again.

Reply to
Clovis

I should also have mentioned in my post that I drive with all the windows down when I've got a bottle(s). I pretty much make straight trips without other stops.

In Seattle I've never had a problem with the welding shop or the Man. I just try to use common sense. And I'm still looking for a truck...

Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Most cylinders are very light (relatively speaking).

You could weld up a cylinder carriage which mounts to the back of your vehicle somehow. Possibly bolting into the floor area of the trunk, possibly bolting to the bumper, possibly bolting underneath the car, or all three.

Should be very easy to assembly something like that and to do it safely, but I doubt that the polizei would be diggin' it unless it looked "exactly" like something which had been purchased and designed professionally.

I also think that it would be a very bad idea to mount it to your front bumper.

Reply to
Clovis

There was a lot of discussion about Grant Erwin's rig.

You could google up the discussion. It was on RCM.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Peter T. Keillor III

It looks good, but I think that it needs more steel in places. If you hit a bump it might bounce out. But otherwise I think it's a good looking rig.

Some cylinders have slots or holes around the base of the cylinder. If you lock them down somehow I dont see any problem for using this with Oxygen, CO2, or Argon. LP tanks are lighter, and you would probably want to create a very study bumper type of mechanism, because I dont think that it would take too much to crunch the new ones.

A trailer would probably be better .....

Reply to
Clovis

I've carried tanks in the back end of my S10 Blazer many times and haven't had any problems. The guy at Holox told me they weren't supposed to be carried that way but if I wasn't going far it shouldn't be a problem although he did warn me to be SURE the valve on the acetylene tank is closed all the way which kind of goes without saying. :-)

Lately though I've been buying gas from my local Northern Tools. They sell at far better prices than Holox or any of the other local suppliers (in hobbiest quantities at least) but they won't sell it to you if you plan to carry them inside a vehicle. The company that provides their gases is Thoroughbred Industrial Cylinder Exchange and they have an interesting picture you might want to take a look at on the safety page of their site:

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers (1879-1935).

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Reply to
Marc Jones