Welding Rates

Anyone have a link to a site that has information on the relative speed of each process (MIG, TIG, stick, O/A, etc.)?

Inches of bead per minute is the kind of data I'm looking for.

Reply to
Jake

Nope.

You would have to talk to the sales droid for each machine.

From fastest to slowest would be Mig, Tig, Stick, OA, but there are horses for courses.

My initial impulse is why do you want this stuff? It seems a bit like comparing a porsche, mack truck and a bicycle. Each has their benefits and specialities.

Reply to
Terry Collins

That is difficult to state, except for mechanical welding machines.

It is my experience that the actual welding rates are meaningless since a very high % of a good welder's time is spent preparing for a weld. And rightly so. If you got everything right, you can get a good weld. It things are not prepared, you can get a poor weld. You get one shot at it, so do the prep work and do it right.

If you are talking weld deposition rates for mechanical welding, that information should be available from each manufacturer. But then, that would only be accurate on a good day in a perfect world. If you are talking about hand welding, it will vary with wire diameter, process, type of bead, and other things.

I would treat any such information/rates garnered as guesses at best, and not base any estimates or production schedules on them.

Just $.02 from the Peanut Gallery.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Since you don't say what for, I'm going to start speculating.

1) you are doing some sort of heat input / deflection / residual stress calculation. If this is the case, a place to start looking is the Lincoln Procedure handbook or whatever literature the machine manufacturer provides. 2) you are estimating. If this is the case, you need some historical data or time studies. Terry is 100% correct with the statement about fitting & joint prep. Hood-down time is not anywhere near 100%. (Aside: I'd put stick as faster than TIG, especialy in lbs / hr. You also forgot subarc, which trumps all.) For data, try the Means books or something.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Jones

Lincoln has a lot of information in print about deposition rates. It's spread around a lot in different literature so I don't know of one single source of a list of deposition rates for different processes. Inch of bead per minute data will be harder to find, unless you want to do the work to convert deposition rate to inch per minute. Time and motion studies (a fancy word for timing different tasks) will quickly tell you how many inches, of a particular size, in a particular position, under particular circumstances of weld can be deposited in a minute (hour, day, ect.). Inches of weld deposited is very important in quoting work, especially when the welders weld. Every one is cautioning about fittup time but that's irrelevant when the fitters fit and the welders weld. As Rich Jones said, estimating books will give you pretty accurate information on many specific welding tasks. He was also right in putting stick way ahead of tig.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

I would have said the fastest was (out of the common processes):

  1. Submerged arc
  2. MIG
  3. Stick
  4. TIG