O T mountain bikes

Does anyone have experience with mountain bikes? Im looking to upgrade mine and my daughters (she is 8 going on 9, hers is to small.) I currently have a Mongoose, which states on the bike " designed in USA by mongoose made in taiwan" Who makes them? Anyway it is the typical

200 dollar bike, frnt and rear susp. 21 speeds. I tried looking up Mongoose, they dont list it on there site. Im looking for advice on new bikes what to stay away from etc... Mine is about 2 years old and has quickly turned into junk. It is built very poorly. Any advice on brands to look at and brands to stay away from? Thanks, Craig
Reply to
Craig Suslosky

I once borrowed a Specialized RockHopper from a friend of mine. Light as a feather, strong as a bulldozer, and superbly balanced. An amazing bike- even a beginner like me looked like a hero on it. Not cheap and I have no idea where it's made.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

depending on how much you are going to ride the bike, makes a difference in how much you should spend. someone who rides everyday doing 20+ miles should spend in the 700+ but someone who is a weekend casual rider ie less than 20 should spend in the 300 range. last I knew even the huffy was made in the east. all of the components are generally made either in japan/east or by the italians. there are many very good custom frame builders in this country but the framesets start above 500 minimum. then your gonna put shimano components on them or campagnolo if you want a good bike. the more you spend will produce a better component (bearings, smoothness, repairability). for a young person buy a decent used bike from a bike shop or get one from a superstore. this way when they drop it and mistreat it you won't mind so much let alone if it gets stolen its cheaper to replace since most homeowners don't carry low enough deductable to pay for the new bike.

spent 5 years working as the mechanic in a bike shop and ten years racing 10 speeds.

Reply to
Jran

Some of the local bike shops in my area will rent bikes. That might be a way to find something you like before investing a lot of money.

Most of my bik>

Reply to
Connie & Roy L. Murphy

All the lower priced bikes are made in Taiwan. I've heard there are two companies which make all the bikes for the American companies. I ride a Specialized Stumpjumper. It's 10 years old and only the tires, chain and brake pads have been replaced. Not cheap though, about $1K new. The frame is aluminum, TIG welded in the USA. Trek makes a good bike too. It's also aluminum but they join it with industrial adhesive as I recall. I had one of their road bikes, very light and rigid.

Fred

Reply to
ff

pads have been

I bought a Trek Navigator 300 last week for my wife - aluminum frame and the joints appear to be nicely welded together as far as I can tell.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

pads have been

in the USA.

You are correct. In the mid 80's Trek made aluminum frames bonded with adhesives but today they are all TIG welded. Their carbon fiber frames are assembled with adhesives now

Fred.

Reply to
ff

So they can't Tig carbon fiber yet?

Reply to
dann mann

Sure, but you have to use a diamond rod.

ff

Reply to
ff

There is a decent Trek at the local DAV thrift store for $75, and a Diamondback (missing the front rim) for $34. But this particular store is noted for being pricey and then marking down quickly

Gunner

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Ben Franklin

Reply to
Gunner

I bought a used Cannondale M-700 at a yard sale for $150 about 5 years ago and it has been dead reliable and never need any work. It is aluminum framed, 21 speeds, with no suspension on either end. I bought a larger/more comfortable to me seat, a pair of those up and over bar extensions to get some weight off my hands (carpal tunnel problems) and enjoy every minute I spend on it.

And it is light and easy to handle as far as getting it on and off the bike rack and out of the way in storage.

Any of the bike guys out there have a front fork with a suspension that will bolt on this? Email me if you do, I'd like to take just a little more of the punishment off of my hands if I could.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

One of my customer btw..but Ive not been to their factory in a couple years. I was told that they can fit them to just about any front fork.

Gunner

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Ben Franklin

Reply to
Gunner

Nope. Because a suspension fork has to be longer than a rigid fork, bolting one onto a frame not designed for it will alter the steering geometry. Increasing the trail and flattening the head angle will make the bike ride like a tank.

Reply to
Ted Bennett

That would do it wouldn't it.

Thanks for the link but I not sure that I'm ready for anything that takes up that much more space on the road and I also enjoy some riding trails. I can throw mine on a rack on the back of the motor home real easily too.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Hmm, I guess you're right. If the resting height was to be the same the wheel would have to be smaller. Then when it compressed, the handling could go from enduro like to trials like.

As a guy that has probably highsided at least one of every model of Montesa and Bultaco made in the mid 70's, I understand the difference that the front end geometry can make. I think the best all around bike I ever had was the Bultaco Alpina. It could be ridden fast without becoming too treacherous and still handled good at walking speeds. Not a Matador, and not a Sherpa, but a good compromise bike.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Bikers call this "chopper"? :-)

Nick