Oddball endmill : What is it?

A friend gave me a box of about 25 strange HSS cutters which I can only describe as single flute endmills, or maybe they are router bits. They are

5/16" dia. and are marked "OCEANA 5/16". The flute is about 1" long. Now the really strange part: the shanks are tapered with the small end starting at the flute origin. The shank measures about 0.328" dia. at the small end and goes up to 0.410" over the shank's length of about 1.3" They are obviously intended to go into some some sort of taper bored collet or chuck but the taper direction is the opposite of the standard Morse taper type tooling we all know. What is it?

Randy

Reply to
Randal O'Brian

Sound like profile cutters for a Taylor-Hobson engraver

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson