Of Interst -Fort Worth Texas

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lars-Gorton-Pantograph_W0QQitemZ7563649343QQcategoryZ92083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I believe this to be a Gorton 3-Z pantograph..which makes a very nice
small milling machine all by itself, let alone an engraver.
Mine gets a good work out as a small parts miller with endmills up to about 3/8"
Gunner
Gunner Asch wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lars-Gorton-Pantograph_W0QQitemZ7563649343QQcategoryZ92083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Now THAT'S a bit closer. And it will fit on the trailer. Hmm....
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

And if you DONT want to use it as a pantograph..you can sell the type and get most of your money back. (Currently at $107)
They show up on Ebay pretty regular btw...however..where you are..shrug..thats another story.
Gunner
Gunner will you be quiet. I'm sitting 30 miles from it and watching. Sounds like you know the owner???
BIG GRIN
--

Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Lol..nope..the guy is a stranger, and the pictures are poor enough that it may NOT be a 3z..but Im pretty sure it is.
http://inv.wencomachinery.com/q/webinv/008566=iform,4652,0E6500,,list,,,10121141,,1NPBIB http://www.carneymachinery.com/item_listing.php?inventory_id@06
Btw...I have the Gorton pantograph book, and I may be scanning it before long into a PDF file. Covers all the various models and setups.
Gunner
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:22:43 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner

OOOH! Please do. I urge all owners of old machines and manuals to scan them to make them available to future users of the machines which outlast us all.
Oh, and while I have your attention, emails to you don't seem to be ACKed, so here's one all (but Terry Collins) will enjoy:
--snip-- Retirement Check The Navy found they had too many officers and decided to offer an early retirement bonus. They promised any officer who volunteered for retirement a bonus of $1,000 for every inch measured in a straight line between any two points in his body. The officer got to choose what those two points would be.
The first officer who accepted, asked that he be measured from the top of his head to the tip of his toes. He was measured at six feet and walked out with a bonus of $72,000.
The second officer who accepted was a little smarter and asked to be measured from the tip of his outstretched hands to his toes. He walked out with $96,000.
The third one was a non officer, grizzly old Chief who, when asked where he would like to be measured, replied, "From the tip of my weenie to my testicles."
It was suggested by the pension man that he might want to reconsider, explaining about the nice big checks the previous two officers had received.
But the old Chief insisted and they decided to go along with him, providing the measurement was taken by a medical officer. The medical officer arrived and instructed the Chief to "drop 'em," which he did. The medical officer placed the tape measure on the tip of the Chief's weenie and began to work back. My God!" he suddenly exclaimed. "Where are your testicles?"
The old Chief calmly replied, "Vietnam." --snip--
-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT? --------------------------------------------- http://diversify.com Sin-free Website Design
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:52:46 -0800, Larry Jaques

Odd..Ive replied to everyone you sent..assuming I got all of what you sent.
You are on my "semi-civilized" list <VBG>
Gunner
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:25:41 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner

Damn, I'm slipping. ;)
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.
Gunner What kind of tooling would fit this thing?
- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX
Gunner Asch wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lars-Gorton-Pantograph_W0QQitemZ7563649343QQcategoryZ92083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Just about anything with a 3/8 shank
Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams
Am I bidding against someone here on this?
Gunner Asch wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lars-Gorton-Pantograph_W0QQitemZ7563649343QQcategoryZ92083QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
If you look at the sellers other items he has an additional machine also for sale.

I think one of the posters here is desperate for a small machine (mill) for his home shop. Ive been in contact with him on this, and if he decides to speak, he can identify himself.
Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams
Gunner wrote:

I made some noise about it earlier, but didn't bid on it. I would, however, have thrown at least $350-$500 or so at it. I didn't know much about that type of machine and had other things on the burner (travel plans) this week, so I decided it against bidding.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX
Gary Brady wrote:

Rex B wrote:

So what's this machine really worth, as a milling machine? Is it 1ph/3ph? Weight and size looks OK for a home shop. Apparently no one in Fort Worth wanted it very badly-not at $191.50. No way of telling what the reserve was.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

I figure, with the spare tooling and the box of type..$250 would have been fair, if it was in good shape. One could sell the font set for at least $50-100 and recoup a fair chunk of change.
Gunner
"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams
Actually, that was what I had my Snipe set at. But my interest was pretty mild, and I figured someone here had more desire. Apparently not.
But I would like to find out more about these machines before it gets relisted. How is the type used, and what sort of items is it made to produce?
Any online documentation? - - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX
Gunner wrote:

The basic Pantograph, is a "tracing engraver", where a stylus traces letters (the brass fonts) and the cutting head reproduces those letters, either bigger or smaller, on things like signs, panels etc etc. The fonts may be in a hundred different styles, both relieved and bia relieved. Basic pantograph stuff <G>
The P2s and others add a third dimension..ie the cutting head can travel over the entire surface, tracing the entire object.. An example would be if you wanted to make a copy of a knife handle, but 1/3 bigger or smaller (example only). You would clamp down the original. set your arm ratios, and put a piece of material under the cutting head, select the proper cutter, and simply start tracing the original, in all dimensions..and the cutter will do its job. and you will end up with the same handle..but larger or smaller. Think of the Stuff you can copy this way <G>
You can even copy that dashboard Jesus but larger or smaller <G>
Now because the work needs to be positioned exactly..there are x and y screws, same as a milling table. Plus the knee.
Some of the machines, such as the 3-Z, have the facility of being able to lock the cutting head into place, just like a verticle mill. Gorton calls this the "router" postion in some of their literature. This is the setup that will be most used for a home shop machinist. A small milling machine with spindle speeds up to 12,000 rpm (high speed for those small cutters)
The usual collet was for a 3/8 shank tool, but they go down to 1/8", and of course we all know that tiny cutters can have 3/8 shanks, so cutters are easy to find. The cutting head is operated by a "rope belt", which is a fabric belt, about 1/2" or so in diamter, running across various pulleys from a motor at the base of the machine.
It all looks a bit odd at first glance..but they work quite well.
Some of the machines, such as the 3-Z, have a rack on the cutting spindle, that allows you to raise the spindle about .5 or so above the work, making it easy to cut, raise, move to the next position, plunge and go back to cutting.
This is a Great tool for tracing electrical device face plates, with D holes, etc etc, and you can change the size ratios without making a new pattern, and you can engrave your custom logo into the face as well <G>
It works very well for small milling projects. My 3-Z was getting a pretty good workout by a couple older gents who were using it to not just trace wing spars and other model airplane parts, but mill motor mounts etc etc out of steel, aluminum and plastic. Think of it as a Shirline mill on steroids with a much bigger work area.
It will turn a 3/8 milling cutter just fine, though its not for big hogging, half diameter cuts are ok with a 4 flute in steel, if you are careful.
Not all Gorton pantographs are as versitle..so be careful of what you buy..some are simply engrave only for the most part and while they can be used as a mill..are a bit more unwieldy.
Ill try to scan the book over the holidays and post it on the web.
Gunner
Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams
Gunner wrote:

Very good info, and most helpful.
So the 3-Z is the most desirable? Followed by the P2? Could you tell what model that was in the ebay listing?