Of Interst -Fort Worth Texas

I believe this to be a Gorton 3-Z pantograph..which makes a very nice small milling machine all by itself, let alone an engraver.

Mine gets a good work out as a small parts miller with endmills up to about 3/8"

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Now THAT'S a bit closer. And it will fit on the trailer. Hmm....

Reply to
Gary Brady

And if you DONT want to use it as a pantograph..you can sell the type and get most of your money back. (Currently at $107)

They show up on Ebay pretty regular btw...however..where you are..shrug..thats another story.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Gunner will you be quiet. I'm sitting 30 miles from it and watching. Sounds like you know the owner???

BIG GRIN

Reply to
Clif Holland

Lol..nope..the guy is a stranger, and the pictures are poor enough that it may NOT be a 3z..but Im pretty sure it is.

Btw...I have the Gorton pantograph book, and I may be scanning it before long into a PDF file. Covers all the various models and setups.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 08:22:43 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

OOOH! Please do. I urge all owners of old machines and manuals to scan them to make them available to future users of the machines which outlast us all.

Oh, and while I have your attention, emails to you don't seem to be ACKed, so here's one all (but Terry Collins) will enjoy:

--snip-- Retirement Check The Navy found they had too many officers and decided to offer an early retirement bonus. They promised any officer who volunteered for retirement a bonus of $1,000 for every inch measured in a straight line between any two points in his body. The officer got to choose what those two points would be.

The first officer who accepted, asked that he be measured from the top of his head to the tip of his toes. He was measured at six feet and walked out with a bonus of $72,000.

The second officer who accepted was a little smarter and asked to be measured from the tip of his outstretched hands to his toes. He walked out with $96,000.

The third one was a non officer, grizzly old Chief who, when asked where he would like to be measured, replied, "From the tip of my weenie to my testicles."

It was suggested by the pension man that he might want to reconsider, explaining about the nice big checks the previous two officers had received.

But the old Chief insisted and they decided to go along with him, providing the measurement was taken by a medical officer. The medical officer arrived and instructed the Chief to "drop 'em," which he did. The medical officer placed the tape measure on the tip of the Chief's weenie and began to work back. My God!" he suddenly exclaimed. "Where are your testicles?"

The old Chief calmly replied, "Vietnam."

--snip--

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Sin-free Website Design

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Odd..Ive replied to everyone you sent..assuming I got all of what you sent.

You are on my "semi-civilized" list

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Gunner What kind of tooling would fit this thing?

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

Gunner Asch wrote:

Rex B

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:25:41 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Damn, I'm slipping. ;)

--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day --

Ending Your Web Page Angst.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just about anything with a 3/8 shank

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Am I bidding against someone here on this?

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

Gunner Asch wrote:

Rex B

If you look at the sellers other items he has an additional machine also for sale.

Reply to
tomd

I think one of the posters here is desperate for a small machine (mill) for his home shop. Ive been in contact with him on this, and if he decides to speak, he can identify himself.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

I made some noise about it earlier, but didn't bid on it. I would, however, have thrown at least $350-$500 or so at it. I didn't know much about that type of machine and had other things on the burner (travel plans) this week, so I decided it against bidding.

Reply to
Gary Brady

It failed to hit reserve at $191 or so. I had a snipe in at more than that, but cancelled it at the last minute.

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

Gary Brady wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

So what's this machine really worth, as a milling machine? Is it

1ph/3ph? Weight and size looks OK for a home shop. Apparently no one in Fort Worth wanted it very badly-not at $191.50. No way of telling what the reserve was.
Reply to
Gary Brady

I figure, with the spare tooling and the box of type..$250 would have been fair, if it was in good shape. One could sell the font set for at least $50-100 and recoup a fair chunk of change.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

I decided to wait and get what I really needed. I have his phone number if anyone is interested. snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Thanks for the advice, Gunner.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

He said it was 120V 1 phase

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

Gary Brady wrote:

Reply to
Rex B

Actually, that was what I had my Snipe set at. But my interest was pretty mild, and I figured someone here had more desire. Apparently not.

But I would like to find out more about these machines before it gets relisted. How is the type used, and what sort of items is it made to produce?

Any online documentation?

- - Rex Burkheimer WM Automotive Fort Worth TX

Gunner wrote:

Reply to
Rex B