OT '96 Saturn DOHC won't start

OK - you have fuel and pressure. What do the plugs look like - wet or dry, and do you get spark??? Do you have 12 volts on one side of the injectors with the key on??

Reply to
clare

You have no spark. Find out why. Do you have 12 volts on one side of the coil primary with the key on???

Reply to
clare

OK, pull all the plugs and put them on the BarBQ for a while to thoroughly dry them. With the plugs out and the injectors disconnected, crank the engine to expell any raw fuel. Reinstall the now clean, dry, and warm plugs, re-connect the injectors, and start.

Reply to
clare

Perhaps you pinched a wire? If you pinched a "control" wire the injector will stay open.

Reply to
clare

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

the

run.

Wet.

Yes.

Not quite 12V, about 11.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Will check tomorrow and post results.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Guess I can give that a try too; will let you know if it works.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That wouldn't prevent the engine from starting, though.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It sure would - and has on several occaisions. Grounding the control side of the injector holds it open, so the engine immediately floods - and does NOT start.

Reply to
clare

On my 91 Ford the two crankshaft position sensor signals can be seen on a meter while turning the engine with a wrench.

Plugs out, of course, and key on.

One is baseline and limp-home-mode timing, the other is which pair of cylinders to fire.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

[ ... ]

O.K. Then it is purged. Is it possible that the replacement fuel injector is bad?

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Hey, clare, don't you love the massive shotgunning this amateur has done? Hundreds of dollars worth of parts replacement with absolutely

-zero- satisfaction.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

DoN, why would all 4 plugs get fouled if only one injector was bad?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well ... it stopped running at all after the injector was replaced -- so really more likely something happening to keep all the injectors on -- say a short keeping power to all four?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

While extremely unlikely, it is possible. Zebras v. horses.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

His wires are now going to the wrong plugs: ignition is now 360 deg off.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message news:n9ydnVrLAJLIeGzPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com...

On my Ford that woud be a symptom of a missing signal from the CPS. The computer reverts to a random guess of which coil to fire after TDC, so that it should start after a few attempts.

It would be 180 degrees off, not 360. The waste spark system fires two cylinders at every top dead center. Supposedly the uncompressed hot exhaust gas in one of them doesn't absorb much of the spark energy. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I notice that you don't seem to have any more idea of what's wrong than I do, so that comment would seem to be somewhat out of place.

Perhaps you could suggest a better course of action than what I have already described?

Reply to
Doug Miller

On 2/4/2014 6:36 PM, Doug Miller wrote: ...

OK, it's next morning; I didn't get back last night.

The others are basically correct imo, too, you're timing is screwed up. You've demonstrated spark to my satisfaction; if there is a plug issue it'll be sufficiently minor to be dealt with later if it's still running a little badly; not that they're not firing so skip ignition issues.

Either you have swapped firing order w/ the plug wires or you've slipped a timing belt cog or the like...

Not sure about the sensors on that engine whether it's possible to get a polarity problem or otherwise screw up the indicated position while the mechanical is ok or not...the old Honda CRX lost the timing belt and tagged the valves so be careful cranking if it's actually out; you possibly could do same depending on particular engine.

Reply to
dpb

I've replaced a number of functional parts like the timing belt, coils and wires on my 25-year-old truck on the principle of military Preventative Maintenance. They are cheaper than a tow and easier to swap in my driveway than on the side of the road.

I figure I'm ahead if I spend less than $1000 a year to keep it running since a new one would depreciate much more than that and be more expensive to insure and register.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins