OT: amyloid markers as precursor to Alzheimer's

There was an article in today's paper about chemical markers that might be early signs of risk for Alzheimer's, similar to the way that cholesterol is regarded as an early marker for risk of heart disease ... the latter now recently coming under question.

One of the Alzheimer's early markers was amyloid protein.

I am not a religious man, but Mary regarded herself as a "spiritual person" and anyone who knew her would agree that the way she gently, kindly and generously treated others (aside from those that pissed her off) should win her a place in Heaven if there is such a place.

While her departure far short of a normal lifespan is difficult and painful for me and us to accept, it may well have been a blessing to her and perhaps to all of us who loved her. I thought about her comment in her phone message to a friend where she said "I have lost all track of everything". That was not typical of Meticulous Mary, even in the rehab center. Her instructions and requests to me had been very specific and detailed until the last week or two.

Dr. B, her and our mince-no-words cardiologist, said it succinctly last fall: amyloidosis is a terrible, horrible disease.

Mary 'n I did the trip together all the way, with good cheer and smiles most of the time and love every nanosecond of the way. If there is anything I don't doubt it is that she knew until her last conscious awareness before fade to black how much I loved her. She told me so many times while in rehab. I may have been short on words but not in deeds and she regarded deeds more than words.

I did acupuncture again today. I don't know that it's helping but I don't see any downside other than paying for ineffective treatment and the cost is too minor to worry about. I had a nice nap in the recliner while listening to some kinda oriental music. I wouldn't have taken that nap in my recliner at home and I probably needed the nap so it was probably worth the price of admission even if the needles did me no good at all. Past that, daily contact with empathetic people is essential to my survival and recovery just now.

Gunsmoke tomorrow, yay! I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's gunsmoke social and luncheon.

Brian always wants a competition. I'm thinkin' maybe I should shoot a target for Mary with her favorite pistol as her surrogate in memory of her and the gentle presence she brought to that periodic gathering of friends. Maybe next time Laura could shoot her target, and so on.

Reply to
Don Foreman

As I age, two things scare me. One is the big C, the other is the big A. I have days where I'm so damned forgetful, I'm sure the big A is just around the corner. The only plus I see is getting to the point I wake up with a strange lady in my bed every morning

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Sure looks like it could be in the cards for me, what where we playing again?

As a kid it was my job to pull the paraquat soaked marijuana off the landing gear of the crop dusters, while they where running BTW. I also flagged, washed the windshields, and fueled them. When the fields where within maybe 10 miles I'd race the planes back and do the above chores. There where many times I'd have to jump in the canals to wash the pesticides and herbicides off and a couple of times where everything starts turning into chrome with driving functions fading fast trying to find water and contemplating if drowning might be a possibility.

There was a better link, but it was too long. Funny that they finally admitted that the mexicans would ship the pot into the US anyhow. Our gov't is more insidious than most are willing to acknowledge.

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

There are far too many nastyass diseases out there.

You're a good man, Foreman.

Bueno, bwana.

Go for it!

Or perhaps let everyone shoot a round (or mag) through Mary's gun at Mary's target as a last goodbye in that venue...once? To grieve and move on is part of the normal healing process. It's best not to dwell because some people can never let go, and grief overtakes them until their dying day. Your call. Whatever you do, have fun!

-- Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Until you realize that she's your age. >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I had a shoot today with Todd 'n Laura. Brian couldn't make it. After shooting my .45 and my .357 for a while, I took out Mary's favorite: the Browning Buckmark .22 semiauto. It was her hands-down fave because it has essentially no recoil, no flash, and goes pop rather than BLAM. She could manage a .357 Mag with no prob but bull-barrel Bucky was her fave. It's the pistol she used when she maxxed the CCW qual test. Her instructor had never seen anyone max that test. I put up a fresh target and started to say that I'd be shooting this target for Mary since she couldn't be here ... but I lost it and couldn't talk. I could still shoot. I'm a vet. So I shot it for her without saying any more. Todd 'n Laura knew what was going on. I didn't shoot as well as Mary would have on a good day, but I did my best and that's all anyone can do.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Cool. Dad's old Colt Woodsman .22 had a vicious kick for a small bore.

I still get all weepy thinking about Dad now and then, but it lessens over time.

The kind who works with animals or the kind who joins his friends with short haircuts in exotic lands and shoots furriners?

Goodonya, mate.

-- If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? -- Shantideva

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The kind who thought, however misguidedly you might think, that military service was a patriotic duty. My example was my Dad who enlisted to serve in the South Pacific in WW II though academic deferment was available to him.

Reply to
Don Foreman

I'm sorry that my attempt failed to provide some humor to you, Don.

-- Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets; then can come the best of benedictions - 'If I had my life to live over, I'd do it all the same.' -- Joan McIntosh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Maybe since Mar enjoyed target shooting so much you should consider having a small version of a target carved on her gravestone Don. I did something like that personally for my mom's stone when she passed away at the turn of this century:

(IIRC Don we met online about then. You needed some lost wax casting wax and I sent you some of the excess from the thick sheet I'd bought to form the model for my mom's plaque.)

I've told SWMBO that when I go to my reward I'd like the back of my tombstone to have HA! engraved in it. (My last laugh y'see.)

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

OK Larry. That's enough of that. It's too early in the morning to laugh so hard. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

jeff_wisnia wrote in news:ios3ku$bhq$1 @dont-email.me:

The British comedian Spike Milligan reported has "I told you I was sick" written on his tombstone.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

My apologies for being a bit touchy about that subject.

Reply to
Don Foreman

At least _someone_ got it.

-- Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets; then can come the best of benedictions - 'If I had my life to live over, I'd do it all the same.' -- Joan McIntosh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK, I guess I'm the tightass here, dang me and hang me. Fun puns about vets, callow grins without respect for the graves of the brave.

Ever shoot any furriners? Adolescent furriners who'd never shaved? Female furriners with intent to kill you? Anybody you had to kill to avoid being killed?

Life can be confusing at times, certainly so during war and diffuse combat.

Reply to
Don Foreman

The pun was veterinarian vs veteran. The reference was to the mock recruiting poster, Don.

This disses the military, not the brave men in it, nor the gallant men who died for our country.

Luckily, no. I received my Order to Report for Induction while I was in the process of moving home from school in Phoenix. They told me to report to the San Diego draft board and I did. They already had all the men they needed so I avoided the draft by chance. At that time, all the draftees were going to Vietnam during the time the Congress had turned off the funding, allowing our soliders to die. While I wasn't for the war, I cursed the protestors who spat at returning soldiers. Their and Congress' actions were, and are, unpardonable.

I've heard the stories from WWII and Vietnam vets 1000 times and still can't fathom the extent of it.

-- Accept the pain, cherish the joys, resolve the regrets; then can come the best of benedictions - 'If I had my life to live over, I'd do it all the same.' -- Joan McIntosh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sorry. As a Vet that served a hitch in the Korean mess I think I'm entitled to laugh at a "Vet" joke if it comes across that way. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick