[OT] automotive battery

This pertains to large batteries in an environment where the floor (or submarine hull) is much colder than the surrounding air. I don't think it's an issue in a garage -- but it's easy enough to set the battery on a block of wood.

It wouldn't be an issue if a maintenance charger is present.

Reply to
Don Foreman

for what it's worth, my understanding was that the dischage when placed on concrete (or metal) related to the early automotive batteries with hard rubber cases (not bakelite), because the cases had carbon black as the darkening agent and were thus slightly conductive. I understand that with modern poly-plastic cases this is no longer the case.

Reply to
william_b_noble

"Don Foreman" wrote: (clip) It wouldn't be an issue if a maintenance charger is present. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And hooked up.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Yes

Reply to
R. O'Brian

Theoretically you are right - but I STILL won't store batteries on the concrete floor. Mine are always either in a plastic case or on a block of wood or both. The only batteries that have gone dud on me while sitting were sitting on concrete. Not saying that caused it - but I don't take chances any more.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce