OT-breaking rock

I have a nice load of flagstones--about 2" thick, up to 3x4 feet. What's the best way of breaking them into suitable size for laying--maybe getting

4 pieces out of one of those slabs?

Or is there a more appropriate forum in which to post this question?

Reply to
Joe Landau

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 05:21:18 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Joe Landau quickly quoth:

Go to Harbor Freight (43669 $20) or the local stone supply ($80+) and get yourself a set of mason's brick chisels (metal content) and a 2lb sledge or drilling hammer. Score the top where you want the slab to break, set the slab up on something supported approximately where you want the break, and carefully slam the crap out of the unsupported side, praying vehemently all the while. It may break somewhat similar to your preparations on occasion. ;)

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 05:21:18 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Joe Landau quickly quoth:

Save some of the larger slabs for the centerpiece. It'll be a stunning and unique layout, Joe.

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I would try using a silicon carbide masonry cut off disk in an angle grinder to score the flagstones. Wear appropriate safety equipment. I would support the scored stone so the scored line is in compression and use a chisel in the scored line to break the stone.

----------------------v-----------------------------

----------------------------------------------------- XX XX

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Id second the scoring with a disk, but id go up to 1/2in deep, and id break it the otherway up. ie have he score mark underneath. Use your sledge and strike gently along the line several times above the score mark. gradually increasing the strike. youll find it will crack to start with then break cleanly. This assumes you mean your slabs are stone. However it will work just as well with a compressed conc paving slab. The deeper you score he better it will break.

Reply to
Ted Frater

Joe Landau quickly quoth:

Why break them up? Large slabs are much easier to lay and keep level. A previous owner of my house laid paths of broken slabs, all pieces about 6" diameter, and they have moved and subsided to a dangerous state.

I am building a new workshop over most of the path area and have had to pick up about 2000 broken bits of path while levelling the pad, now I have to dispose of them. #2 son has a large excavation on his property begging to be filled before the topsoil is replaced, guess where it is going. Also closer than the council tip and no fees.

Alan Alan, in Gosnells, Western Oz. VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 6174

Reply to
alan200

Thanks to all. That helped.

Joe