MES machine vice kits

Has anyone built one of these - I just bought a couple of complete sets, purchased years ago but never started. Unfortunately, there are no drawings/assembly instructions with the
kits.
They are still available, not from MES but from here:
http://www.lawm.freeserve.co.uk/vice.htm
There are a couple of pictures of the completed item from which I can get a pretty good idea of how they are supposed to be but some drawings, or words of wisdom from anyone with 1st hand experience of these would be most welcome.
Thanks & Regards
Barry :confused:
--
BarryK

That site is MES. The homepage is: http://www.lawm.freeserve.co.uk /
Charles

Looks very restricting to me
what with that tongue sticking out the back of it ...would hit the coluum ..and restrict table movement
all the best.mark
I suggest that you gentleman read my post again...
I am asking for 'words of wisdom', assembly drawings and/or first hand experiences of people who have actually built these things.
I see no trace of that in your answers, so far.
What I did not want was criticism of the (unimportant) fact that I'd got a name wrong, I especially did not want an opinion on the suitability of the item.
Compare this posting with my recent question on releasing tapers - every response to that question contained specific, sensible answers.
[ BTW - I haven't released that taper yet - it's still in the Freezer - should be cold enough in another few days........ :) ]
I find this forum to be easily the best when it comes to getting useful answers to specific questions.
I hope this forum is not going the way of some of the others, where those who do not know the answers, choose to criticise the validity of the question.
Cheers, have a nice day :) Barry
--
BarryK
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:12:43 -0500, BarryK

I don't think this forum is going to the dogs at all.
The purpose of my post was to point out that MES were still in business so try asking there first. Have you called them to ask /offer to pay for for for a set of drawings yet? Their web page clearly says:
"All screws and dowel pins are supplied together with a set of dimensioned drawings and working instructions."
The chap who runs the company is very helpful.
Charles

Barry. I think your comments are rude and should be withdrawn. This is not a forum, it is a newsgroup operating on Usenet, and thus is open to anybody who chooses to contribute. That means there is no panel of experts humbly waiting to answer questions at your behest, nor are there any rules about what may and may not be said. Rather it is a collection of individuals like yourself who have some interests in common and who choose to discuss those interests in public.
As it happens the two people who responded to your question are amongst of the most knowledgable and helpful here, and the fact that they have not directly answered your question does not mean this group is going to the dogs. In point of fact that free-ranging diversity is one of the strengths of this newsgroup, along with the ability to correspond in a reasonable manner without descending to a slanging match. If you don't like the comments being made about your questions you should reconsider your participation.
Regards, Cliff Coggin.
Cliff Coggin Wrote:

I think you are probably right...........
--
BarryK

Bye
PS. You still need to call MES!
Mark Rand RTFM
BarryK wrote:

Good grief.
Call the makers, and buy the damn prints already.
And learn how to get onto Usenet, with all that crap from RC groups!
I am not a "guest" on RC Groups. They are taking this post of usenet, and pounding it to you along with a healthy dose of advertising to pay the bills.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Trevor Jones Wrote:

I don't understand the perceived problem that some of you have with RC Groups,it's free,you can post photos easily and a new post doesn't mean you have to scroll through all the previous replies that seem to be included in nearly each new post from a newsgroup,even if someone has only posted a one line reply.
There is a private message facility in RC Groups,so need to hide email addresses either.
Adblock takes care of any adverts,not that I read them anyway.
I don't see any reason why I should join a newsgroup or any reason to complain about people that do,they both serve a purpose and there's no reason for the "us and them" mentality that persists with some people.
RC Groups also cater for a wide variety of interests.
Allan
--
Allan Waterfall
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:01:57 -0500, Allan Waterfall

You can't post binaries on non-binary Usenet groups. This is a non-binary Usenet group, not a web forum. Quoting and selective or bottom posting are part of the etiquette that go with using this newsgroup. If you don't want to be a good citizen, then don't annoy people by posting in the group.

Irrelevant. This is not RC Groups, this is Usenet

Usenet doesn't do adverts.

If you don't see any reason for using the newsgroup, then why are you posting in it?

Usenet currently has approximately 107,000 news groups. That's right, one hundred and seven thousand.
Mark Rand RTFM

Notwithstanding what I said earlier, it's not a problem from my point of view either, provided the poster realises what he is doing and understands the implications, which Barry clearly didn't. What galls is the person who asks questions here and then complains when he doesn't get the sort of answers he wanted. There was even one instance some while ago when a writer was so aggrieved at the replies that he called for the moderator of this group to ban or blacklist the author of the replies!
As to the need to edit replies, I agree that some folk are too lazy to edit sensibly, (you will note I have edited your message to contain just the points I refer to), while others (possibly posting from RC groups or the like, I'm not sure) don't append any of the material they refer to in their replies so those replies become meaningless. Like most things on the Internet, one should learn how to use Usenet before opening ones mouth.
Cliff.
BarryK wrote:

I can help with this one Barry. I'll do a scan of the opins and drawings if you email me at: snipped-for-privacy@-------lb.plus.com Just put my surname infront of the lb. I also have a working pair of these.
Geoff Johnson