OT: BRIGGS AND STRATTON Q

No gas is getting past my float valve. Without the pointed valve in place it runs freely. Is there any kind of spring that causes the valve to lower and lets the gas pass or it just the weight of the gas that causes the needle to lower until the float rises again?

If I am not missing any springs what is causing the valve to stick?

LB

Reply to
Leonard & Peggy Brown

Waynemak

The float needle should have an o-ring type seat, often red. There is a chance that this seat needs to be replaced if the float needle is fastened to the float and it is hanging up. Is there a chance that you have the float bowl turned? Some have a clearance dent in them that needs to be on the float's hinge end.

DanG

The needle and seat must be completely clean. The needle must slide freely, only gravity opens the valve. Remove the needle and clean out the brass seating area. Make sure the float is straight and moves easily.

Reply to
bw

Is your float still a float, or is it gas-logged?

Does the valve stick if you try to move it by hand? A carb rebuild kit will most likely get you a new needle valve and associated parts.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You know, on mine it looks like the valve should connect directly to the float, there is a slot on top of the float that connects to the valve, but when I took it apart the 2 were not connected... odd.

Lb

Reply to
Leonard & Peggy Brown

Reply to
Waynemak

Yeah, that needle's head needs to be slid into that groove. If not the float will keep the needle plastered against the seat all the time. If you have the carb off the engine a simple test to see if you have the float on right is to hold the carb upside down and the float ought to sit horizontally. If you don't have the carb off just push up on the float _gently_ and see if it's level when it stops. If not, something's amiss.

Reply to
B.B.