[OT:] Car repair parts microspam

The only reason I'd take a vehicle into a dealership is for warranty service or recalls, both of which are free to the owner. And that's any dealership brand, too.

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Took my newer Camry in to have a new key 'programmed' so I'd have a spare. They did that job, then they re-programmed the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) threshold so that it triggered a week after I got the car back. I sighed heavily and replaced their leaky valve core, set the tire pressure to factory spec and then re-adjusted the threshold back down to factory spec. It's worked trouble - free for a couple years now.

Dealer Service. Feh.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Interesting. So how do you reprogram the TPMS? Mine just saved a tire by notifying me of a leak from a nail. I had the oil changed and asked them to check it. Sure enough, a nail was in there that I hadn't seen during a quick on-ground check. They fixed it and rebalanced the tire free of charge. And since they bumped me during my wait, she gave the LOF to me free. Anywho, I got the truck back and drove 1 block over to NAPA for a tool. I noticed that the tire light was on, so after my NAPA dealings, I took it back to Expert Tire. He verified that all the pressures were the same, and said the light would go off within a mile of driving, which it did.

That trip was a minimum of $50 cheaper than having the dealer do it.

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

There's a push button switch in the glove box. After adjusting the air pressure in all five tires, turn the ignition switch to the 'on' position and hold the button down for 3 seconds. The TPMS light will blink

3 times at a 1/2 Hz rate. Release the button. Leave the ignition switch 'on' for 3 minutes longer to allow all tires to report in.

Hey presto! Back on the road.

I paid a medium - sized fortune for the shop manual set and it is slowly paying me back.

Yup. This is not 'high speed' telemetry.

And you got your truck back without the mechanic damaging it further.

Well done!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Well, it *was* a Prius. I'm sure the level of drama was an order of magnitude below say, a V8 Mustang. Unless you're a [cue Lee Ermey] pansy-ass.

Reply to
RBnDFW

(...)

below say, a V8 Mustang. Unless you're a [cue Lee Ermey] pansy-ass.

Not a lot of sound FX like a Mustang but, at half the acceleration, pretty zippy (0-60 MPH = 9.8 seconds vs 4.9 seconds for the 'Stang.)

An order of magnitude slower would be 0-60 in 49 seconds. :)

I took my first ride in a Prius a couple weeks ago. I figure one could be at the Prius' maximum speed (103 MPH) well before the 911 operator came on line.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston