OT Carpenter Ants

This diverse group has presented many good solutions IMO to problems in both metal working and others so I thought I would pose a question here.
What are the best ways of controlling carpenter ants? I've been battling the dammed things for 20 years and they are still trying to eat my house. I've tried all chemical and mechanical means I've been able to come up with but they return and get into the house every summer. Any help appreciated.............
Laurie Forbes

both
with
Borate solutions, termite shields, and most of all-replace the damp, rotting wood they are eating...

battling
house.
rotting
I've tried various insecticides but the main problem is my house is next to a wooded area and I am unable to find the nests as these ants can live inside live trees as well as underground in buried logs. I have no damp, rotting wood except in the nearby treed areas - the ants don't seem to require such for nest building however as they prefer my open beam cedar roof with its rigid styrofoam insulation.
I'm not familiar with a "termite shield" - could you describe it please.
Laurie Forbes

Hire an exterminator?!
We had the same problem when we lived in the Puget Sound area. The only solution we found was to move to the Central Oregon desert. No more carpenter ants!
Now, how can you stop the spiders from finding a way into my 80 year old house?
Paul, KD7HB
snipped-for-privacy@coinet.com wrote:

Geckos. The word for spider in gecko is 'lunch'. --RC (who encourages anything that eats black widows.)

Good idea! What do you use to get rid of geckos?
Vaughn (WB4UHB)
Vaughn wrote:

Cats. In feline the word for gecko is 'play toy'
--RC
Rick Cook wrote:

Was that he she or I that swallowed the fly. I can remember the rythum but not the gender. I (he or she) swallowed a fly, I don't know why I swallower the fly I swallowed a spider to eat the fly, but I don't know why I swallowed the fly. But I keep thinking there is something that goes more like swallowed the spider to eat the fly down in side her, but I don't know why she swallowed the fly. fly,spider, rat, cat, dog, horse I guess that's were it gets silly cow might be better right I mean swallowing a cow makes more sence than swallowing a horse.
she swallowed a whale to eat the elephant that ate the horse that ate the dog that ate the cat that ate the rat that ate the spider that ate the fly (down in side her?) but I don't know why she swallowed the fly.
Ok so it's been 30 or 40 years since I heard it sue me.

PRETTY GOOD! I had made it 59 years without ever hearing that, but a quick search found it (quickly).
Vaughn
There was an old lady who swallowed a fly. I dunno why she swallowed that fly, Perhaps she'll die.
There was an old lady who swallowed a spider, That wriggled and jiggled and wiggled inside her. She swallowed the spider to catch the fly. But I dunno why she swallowed that fly - Perhaps she'll die.
There was an old lady who swallowed a bird; How absurd, to swallow a bird! She swallowed the bird to catch the spider That wriggled and jiggled and wiggled inside her. She swallowed the spider to catch the fly. But I dunno why she swallowed that fly - Perhaps she'll die
There was an old lady who swallowed a cat. Imagine that, she swallowed a cat. She swallowed the cat to catch the bird ... She swallowed the bird to catch the spider That wriggled and jiggled and wiggled inside her. She swallowed the spider to catch the fly. But I dunno why she swallowed that fly Perhaps she'll die
There was an old lady who swallowed a dog. What a hog! To swallow a dog! She swallowed the dog to catch the cat... She swallowed the cat to catch the bird ... She swallowed the bird to catch the spider That wriggled and jiggled and wiggled inside her. She swallowed the spider to catch the fly. But I dunno why she swallowed that fly Perhaps she'll die.
There was an old lady who swallowed a goat. Just opened her throat and swallowed a goat! She swallowed the goat to catch the dog ... She swallowed the dog to catch the cat. She swallowed the cat to catch the bird ... She swallowed the bird to catch the spider That wriggled and jiggled and wiggled inside her. She swallowed the spider to catch the fly. But I dunno why she swallowed that fly Perhaps she'll die.
There was an old lady who swallowed a cow. I don't know how she swallowed a cow! She swallowed the cow to catch the goat... She swallowed the goat to catch the dog... She swallowed the dog to catch the cat... She swallowed the cat to catch the bird ... She swallowed the bird to catch the spider That wriggled and jiggled and wiggled inside her. She swallowed the spider to catch the fly. But I dunno why she swallowed that fly Perhaps she'll die.
There was an old lady who swallowed a horse - She's dead, of course.
Vaughn wrote:

I think these are the repressed memories I keep hearing about.
Laurie Forbes wrote: (...)

(...)
I don't have any pets or kids, so I mixed up a gallon of boric acid 'ant food' and left it in several glass jars (punched lids) around the property.
Worked a treat.
Boric acid is a poison. Don't use eating utensils to mix it.
Snap on your face mask. Funnel 10 teaspons of (99%) boric acid powder into a one gallon *plastic* jug. Add 2 cups of sugar and one drop of liquid hand soap. Add a quart of hot water. Cap and shake the jug. Add hot water to make one gallon of solution. Cap and shake to mix.
Empty and wash several glass jars with screw top lids. Punch or drill many holes in each lid.
Fill the jars about halfway with the ant poison and place them around the outside of your property. Also place jars where you see ants entering the house.
The ants that don't fall into the jars will return to the nest with a load of the solution, eventually killing the nest. The soap solution lowers the surface tension of the solution, causing some of the floating ants to sink.
As a result of this operation, you may see one or more winged female ants flying around your property in an effort to establish a new nest.
Punch them in the nose.
Hard.
Best of luck.
--Winston

food'
jug.
the
sink.
flying
Thanks much Winston - I'll try it this summer (I've tried about everything else and maybe this will do it).
Laurie Forbes
Use light or clear karo syrup instead of sugar, it will not ferment and it also wilol not attract bees etc......
REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies! Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com /) she has NOT retired from helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS
"RoyBoy" wrote:

Commercial products using boric acid are of a thick consistency, like honey. The idea is to let as many ants as possible eat the product and return to the nest with the poison, thus killing the queen.
The way I've prepared it is to make a saturated solution of boric acid in water, and then add sufficient syrup (corn starch helps too) to yield a nice thick goop.
They love it to death.
Jon
Laurie Forbes wrote:

Carpenter ants mostly access your house by coming in on tree branches that are touching your roof or siding. Good prevention is to keep your trees trimmed well.
--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Greetings Laurie, I live in the northwest (USA). Of course, we have carpenter ants. Even though I had the things in my yard they never invaded the house. Because of what my yard used to be there was standing water in the crawl space for most of the year. My brother has had ants get into his house. The big difference is that his siding comes close to the ground and mine was always at least 6 inches above the dirt. The ant guy said that they need moisture so if the ground is wet or moist and is close to your house you will be invaded. My house sat on posts on piers so there was no moisture or moist dirt coming close to the house in the crawl space too. It was also well vented. Keep all vegetation at least 6 inches away from your house. Overhanging branches may also cause problems because if an ant falls onto your roof and finds something it likes on the way down to the ground it will leave a chemical pathway for subsequent ants to follow. And they will cross lots of dry area, like cement, or composition shingles, to get at what they want once there is a trail to follow. The trail lasts pretty long too. So it will be there the next day. And once traveled by many ants it gets even stronger. But take heart. In Australia live ants so voracious they will flatten tires of cars parked on the dirt for too long. ERS
Laurie Forbes wrote:

I found an ant spray that's supposed to be ultra bio friendly, uses wintergreen as one of the main active ingredients. It's quite deadly to ants, and when sprayed on a trail of ants, those ants not sprayed, really react when they get near it. Much more so that with regular ant sprays. If you can find their trail, might try spraying straight wintergreen oil on them and see if they refuse to cross it.
Jon

Isn't that an oxymoron?
Tim
-- "I've got more trophies than Wayne Gretsky and the Pope combined!" - Homer Simpson Website @ http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
Tim Williams wrote:

I've used up the can and not gotten around to buying another, so I can't copy off the contents. But it doesn't contain any of the truely nasty chemicals most sprays use. I do recall wintergreen oil as one of the major ingredients, but most of the others were herbs. It's touted as being indoor friendly, and smells one hell of a lot better than the other stuff. It also displays persistence in that areas I've sprayed with it stay ant free for several weeks on average, where I've really hosed down areas with regular ant spray and seen ants walking right through the very next day.
I'll go buy another can and post the brand and active ingredients, been meaning to...
Jon