OT- Child Support again!

My child support paycheck deductions was ordered to end 1 year ago, my employer didn't catch it and I wasn't informed that their withholding order had an end date. So, my child support deductions continued until May 2011, that was fine by me because I would have had to send the payment until the youngest graduated high school.

Now after all was straightened out, my work deducted child support out of my pay for this week. I'm guessing since this was the week of the 1 year since CS was supposed to stop, it somehow got triggered to be deducted, maybe they entered 2011 in the computer as an end date instead of 2010 or something like that. Anyway they have already deducted over $4000 more than they were supposed to and now started deducting again, on top of this I was already around $1000 ahead on CS because IL Child Support Enforcement ordered arrearage because they are incompetent to calculate child support....

Needless to say, them restarting child support deductions the Friday before Christmas isn't good timing financially for me. I'll talk to payroll tomorrow (unless they got off for the holiday, we didn't), not sure what they'll do about it though.

My work took money from my pay that they weren't supposed to and sent it as child support and it will probably be deposited in my ex's bank account. I think my work should give me the payment they took (their mistake) and they can figure out how to get the money from my ex. I have heard that an employee can sue their employer for money deducted as child support when it's not ordered by the court. If they aren't real cooperative, I feel like taking them to court and getting the entire ~$4500 they wrongfully deducted. Understand this company has an "our employees can kiss our ass" attitude and has been sued multiple times because they have refused to follow their own company policy when it works in the employees favor, ie they treat an employee wrong, against the law and/or against company policy, and the employee has to take them to court to get what they are supposed to have.

Just wondering if anyone knows if I have any leverage, like demanding they immediately give me the amount they wrongfully deducted this week?

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I Goggled "child support attorney georgia" and got 3,920,000 results. Perhaps you should use the same search terms with your city and state. Ain't no child support lawyers in this group that give free advice.

Reply to
Usual suspect

In all such interactions, unless I personally know the people involved, I follow a "speak softly and carry a big stick" policy -- be nice and polite, but firm, and when you feel like you need to shout, call a lawyer instead.

It does help to know exactly what your rights are before hand. If you _know_ you're entitled to that $4500 and they're being really uncooperative about the $200 or $500 or whatever, then you can always casually mention that they owe you $4500 that you're not asking for at the moment.

And -- if they're such d***wads, why are you still there, or at least not actively looking for other work? If they're not otherwise perfect, you should vote with your feet.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

There are the local people that are pretty good people all seem to be trying to do their job making the company run. Then there is the corporate dictating how we do things, it seems more like they are trying to make us unsuccessful, probably in their own ignorance. It's a German owned company and when we get new manufacturing equipment, they specify that we have to buy this from the German manufacturer of their choice. So we get equipment from Germany and many of the parts are only available from Germany, not even stocked in the USA.

So we end up trying to manufacture ~35,000 tires per day with every machine pushed near the max. Something breaks and we end up needing parts that are not in stock because corporate doesn't want to give us the money to buy spares for the equipment they specify and there is a 6-12 week lead time to get the part from Germany. Basically we (local company) are in a battle with the corporate trying to keep the place producing.

There are the "difficult to deal with" that control the company but the local people I work with every day are also in a battle with the d***wads to try to keep things going. My other reason for staying is that sometimes, with overtime, a one week paycheck can be 4X my mortgage payment, that's pretty good pay for this line of work in this area.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Sounds like the good is outweighing the bad.

Good luck with your discussion with Payroll -- I hope it stays at the "discussion" level, and doesn't evolve into "battle".

Reply to
Tim Wescott