vacation policy?

I have a guy that worked less than two years. He has taken six days vacation. He quit and now says he is owed four days of vacation. His contention is that he is due a full week of vacation after Jan. 1.

That seems unreasonable to me. Does anyone get a week of vacation the day they start?

Reply to
dlevy

your policy is whatever you say it is, but you have to say , preferably in writing, what that policy is. My policy has always been to accrue all during the year, payroll service even did it that way on the checks for me.

University I worked for gave you 4 weeks a year, vested the day you started.

I gave 2 weeks a year btw....

might be cheaper to pay him to go away if he threatens suit....

dlevy wrote:

Reply to
yourname

So it is possible to begin a new job and immediately take a week off?

Reply to
dlevy

theoretically, yes

also took every damn holiday available. more than once in 2 years I drove 45 mins to work and no one was there........course I never was very bright

Reply to
yourname

Go figure. Do you work in the US?

Reply to
dlevy

dlevy-- Its been my experience in the machine tool world that you normally get one week of vacation AFTER one year of service. Accumulation of sick days, if offered, begin after 60 or 90 days probation period. The key here is taht the employer MUST have that policy stated in writing and posted for the employees to see.

Neal

Reply to
Neal

"dlevy" wrote in news:0hn_d.34884$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

Typically, vacation is earned on a per hour worked method. Say you offer

40 hours of paid vacation per year, then as an employee, you earn 40/2080th (80/2080 for 80 hours vacation, etc) of an hours vacation for every hour worked. You start out with ZERO vacation. In order to get the full 40 hours of paid vacation, you would have to work 2080 hours (1 year).
Reply to
Anthony

yup

Reply to
yourname

dlevy:

This seems like a prime case where having a "policy handbook" would have been a good idea, even for a small shop with one employee. This sort of thing is spelled out in our handbook, IIRC, there is a 90 day probationary period where there are no paid holidays and *after* working for a year an employee is entitled to 40 hours (1 week), vacation pay. After three years an employee is entitled to 80 hours (2 weeks) vacation pay, and 3 weeks after 6 or 8 years.

-- BottleBob

BottleBob

You need a revolution.

In the UK the typical holiday entitlement after 2 years is 5 weeks, and thats the worst in Europe. One place I worked at you got 25 days + 8 days national holidays (easter, xmas, etc.), but because we actually worked 42 hrs a week that entitled you to an extra 13 days holdays (or overtime payment if you preferred), then there was a reduction in hours from 40 to 39 a week, which equated to 6.5 extra days holiday. So totaling up we got:

25+8+13+6.5 = 52.5 days or 10 weeks.

Do you lot know how to make molatov's?

Reply to
Guido

Guido:

Sounds like a worker's paradise for sure. Doesn't sound so hot for small shop owners though. Do machinists OR shop owners make a livable wage over there?

-- BottleBob

BottleBob

Well a lot has gone off to China and the Far East, just as it has with yours. Typical basic rates being offered at the moment $40,000 - $60,000+.

Reply to
Guido

I'm surprised there isn't any kind of legislation or guide regarding that there. Here in Ontario I get 4% of the gross I earned in the past year. If you don't have any legislation regarding vacation pay etc. then why do you leave yourself open to all sorts of nonsense by not having the terms of employment clearly defined on paper and signed at the outset ? If you run a business remember it is a business, not a friendship and an employee is not a volunteer. Laz

Reply to
Laz

Man, I would kill for that much time off. As it is now I, as the owner, bust my ass to pay their health, workman's comp insurance, and retirement fund (and business insurance). I'm the one that works weekends. I guess $14 - $22/hr for a person that can't calculate a surface rate is the norm.

I'm going to buy a time clock today. I also think I'm going to hire an engineer instead of another primma donna machinist. Besides, technology is progressing to the point that engineers need to be running these machines. As an engineer, I would welcome running a machine 20 hours a week and designing the other 20. I like machining.

BTW, I paid him the pro rated vacation time he was due. I didn't get back the bonuses he was given at the end of the year nor was I reimbursed for the Solidworks training that prompted the departure. He still can't calculate a surface rate.

Reply to
dlevy

No matter whom you hire I would suggest a good Company Policy Manual that spells out vacation, sick leave, and holiday pay. This can save you a lot of trouble in the future.

Our company also covers issues such as attendance, safety, smoking, substance abuse, breaks, etc.

An important clause in any employee hand book in my opinion is a statement that, "employment is at will". Meaning that you can let them go at anytime, and they can quit at anytime.

Reply to
Garlicdude

I'm going to put together a policy manual. Thanks Steve.

In a matter of 15 minutes I have found a new hire........an electrical engineer..... who's actually excited about machining..... I'll send him to Solidworks training and maybe start some new product designs incorporating his background! Maybe I'll get to run machines more often too. I'm excited again!

Working with people that just want to suck as much as possible out of a job gets very old. I consider what we do to be interesting and a challange. All this guy ever wanted to do was work less for more money.

Reply to
dlevy

Back when I had employee's, we actually had a formula for vacation days. you got .04 hours vacation for every hour worked, or something like that. It equaled out to 80 hours vacation paid for a 2000 hour work year. That way, if they take extra days off, sick time, headaches, or just show up late every day, it all balances out.

Guido wrote:

Reply to
Jon

where can one find solid works training?

Reply to
williamhenry

I know, this sounds hard-ass but it's really your own fault. We have a three-month trial period at about half-salary. Probaly illegal in the US but fine in China. Had to give up keeping a deposit on their salary tho, that was illegal :) Anyway, if the person isn't any good, ditch him or her right away. If they are flakes you should know pretty soon. They NEVER get better, so bite the bullet and try another one.

If they *are* good, then the money you spent on them you got back already. You do wanna keep the good ones so maybe figure out what's wrong in those cases. Talking helps, listening helps more.

Any money you spent on SaladWurx training was wasted anyway. Get Pro/E and move up to a real program. It's not expensive anymore :)

Reply to
hamei

No place I have worked at, not even in the military.

The military policy is you earn 2.5 days, per month, as long as you don't go AWOL, or to the brig.

Some companies I have worked for acrued 80-hours vacation, after the first year, upt to 5-years senority. Over 5, but under 8 years and you got 120 hours.

Above 8-years you got 160 hours per year.

Vacation time was pro-rated per month of attendance.

:/

Reply to
Halcitron