vacation policy?

I have a guy that worked less than two years. He has taken six days vacation. He quit and now says he is owed four days of vacation. His
contention is that he is due a full week of vacation after Jan. 1.
That seems unreasonable to me. Does anyone get a week of vacation the day they start?
your policy is whatever you say it is, but you have to say , preferably in writing, what that policy is. My policy has always been to accrue all during the year, payroll service even did it that way on the checks for me.
University I worked for gave you 4 weeks a year, vested the day you started.
I gave 2 weeks a year btw....
might be cheaper to pay him to go away if he threatens suit....
dlevy wrote:

So it is possible to begin a new job and immediately take a week off?

dlevy wrote:

theoretically, yes
also took every damn holiday available. more than once in 2 years I drove 45 mins to work and no one was there........course I never was very bright
Go figure. Do you work in the US?

dlevy wrote:

yup

I'm surprised there isn't any kind of legislation or guide regarding that there. Here in Ontario I get 4% of the gross I earned in the past year. If you don't have any legislation regarding vacation pay etc. then why do you leave yourself open to all sorts of nonsense by not having the terms of employment clearly defined on paper and signed at the outset ? If you run a business remember it is a business, not a friendship and an employee is not a volunteer. Laz
dlevy wrote:

No place I have worked at, not even in the military.
The military policy is you earn 2.5 days, per month, as long as you don't go AWOL, or to the brig.
Some companies I have worked for acrued 80-hours vacation, after the first year, upt to 5-years senority. Over 5, but under 8 years and you got 120 hours.
Above 8-years you got 160 hours per year.
Vacation time was pro-rated per month of attendance.
:/
dlevy wrote:

His
the day

dlevy-- Its been my experience in the machine tool world that you normally get one week of vacation AFTER one year of service. Accumulation of sick days, if offered, begin after 60 or 90 days probation period. The key here is taht the employer MUST have that policy stated in writing and posted for the employees to see.
Neal
I wouldn't work for a company only offering 1 week of vacation in one year. Norm is 2 weeks/ year. JS

You can negotiate. I'm amazed that people who will haggle a car dealer to death over 50 bucks on $30,000.00 vehicle, will sit there like a clam when offered a job. Everything can be negotiated. Only a mope would leave a place where they get three or four weeks, only to start over at one week of vacation time. Screw their employee handbook and their neat little rules. If they need you, and you are any good, they will give you what you ask for. Why would I leave a job for anything less than what I have now?
Dan

It is all only money, I had a spreadsheet where I could show you dollars per hour, vacation, sick, holiday etc, and show the dollar per hour cost to me. For instance is you pay a guy 20 bucks and hour, ups to 24 after comp and unemployment, your total cost is 49920 for the 2080 hours you are paying for, then divide by the amount of hours you are actually getting work for and you have your real cost per hour. If you have 8 holidays, 2 sick days and 2 weeks vacation, it is 26 and hour, 3 weeks vacation is 26.55 etc etc. YOu can do the same with medical diability...anyway, you would do well to make up such a spreadsheet[its on an old computer of mine] and use it for yourself and your employees.

per
you
3
spreadsheet[its
employees.
I'd like a copy of that spreadsheet, if you could clean any personnel information from it, and email it to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.
I have just the opposite of what you have.
As an job hunter, I made an Excel spreadsheet, where I can input my supplimental incomes (Military retirement), and a monthly budget, based on 160 hours per month, and find a break even point. It will show me what I need per hour, to make the budget.
I can also calculate the gasoline useage for the daily commute and my weekend driving, giving me a monthly fuel budget.
I have made three budget columns, for High (Dream on), Actual and Unemployment. I won't bore you with the details.
If I have an address, I can calculate an hourly wage, to the nickel, based on a living budget.
When job hunting, it is nice to be able to give - or accept an offer of -, a good wage/salary number, especially when the cost of living keeps fluctuating.
:)

Typically, vacation is earned on a per hour worked method. Say you offer 40 hours of paid vacation per year, then as an employee, you earn 40/2080th (80/2080 for 80 hours vacation, etc) of an hours vacation for every hour worked. You start out with ZERO vacation. In order to get the full 40 hours of paid vacation, you would have to work 2080 hours (1 year).
--
Anthony

dlevy wrote:

dlevy:
    This seems like a prime case where having a "policy handbook" would have been a good idea, even for a small shop with one employee. This sort of thing is spelled out in our handbook, IIRC, there is a 90 day probationary period where there are no paid holidays and *after* working for a year an employee is entitled to 40 hours (1 week), vacation pay. After three years an employee is entitled to 80 hours (2 weeks) vacation pay, and 3 weeks after 6 or 8 years.
-- BottleBob http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

You need a revolution.
In the UK the typical holiday entitlement after 2 years is 5 weeks, and thats the worst in Europe. One place I worked at you got 25 days + 8 days national holidays (easter, xmas, etc.), but because we actually worked 42 hrs a week that entitled you to an extra 13 days holdays (or overtime payment if you preferred), then there was a reduction in hours from 40 to 39 a week, which equated to 6.5 extra days holiday. So totaling up we got:
25+8+13+6.5 = 52.5 days or 10 weeks.
Do you lot know how to make molatov's?
Guido wrote:

Guido:
    Sounds like a worker's paradise for sure. Doesn't sound so hot for small shop owners though. Do machinists OR shop owners make a livable wage over there?
-- BottleBob http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

Well a lot has gone off to China and the Far East, just as it has with yours. Typical basic rates being offered at the moment $40,000 - $60,000+.
Man, I would kill for that much time off. As it is now I, as the owner, bust my ass to pay their health, workman's comp insurance, and retirement fund (and business insurance). I'm the one that works weekends. I guess $14 - $22/hr for a person that can't calculate a surface rate is the norm.
I'm going to buy a time clock today. I also think I'm going to hire an engineer instead of another primma donna machinist. Besides, technology is progressing to the point that engineers need to be running these machines. As an engineer, I would welcome running a machine 20 hours a week and designing the other 20. I like machining.
BTW, I paid him the pro rated vacation time he was due. I didn't get back the bonuses he was given at the end of the year nor was I reimbursed for the Solidworks training that prompted the departure. He still can't calculate a surface rate.

dlevy wrote:

No matter whom you hire I would suggest a good Company Policy Manual that spells out vacation, sick leave, and holiday pay. This can save you a lot of trouble in the future.
Our company also covers issues such as attendance, safety, smoking, substance abuse, breaks, etc.
An important clause in any employee hand book in my opinion is a statement that, "employment is at will". Meaning that you can let them go at anytime, and they can quit at anytime.
--
Regards,
Steve Saling