vacation policy?

I wouldn't work for a company only offering 1 week of vacation in one year. Norm is 2 weeks/ year. JS

Reply to
Szaki

I'll repeat this here: The military policy is you earn 2.5 days, per month, as long as you don't go AWOL, or to the brig.

Some civilian companies I have worked for accrued 80-hours vacation per year - but you couldn't take any the first year-, After the first year, up to 5-years senority.

Over 5, but under 8 years and you got 120 hours.

Above 8-years you got 160 hours per year.

At any rate you weren't allowed to have two years vacation on the books, at the fiscal year.

Vacation time was pro-rated per month of attendance.

To answer your question: Let's say he worked at my former employer, for 2- full years, and he had good attendance, and accrued 160 hours in two years, but took

6-days (48 hours) vacation.

So, 160 hours less 48 hours, equals 112 hours (14-days) vacation pay.

In your case, I would pay him the four days he requested. I think you are making out like a bandit.

Also, to you and anyone else, you should have two policy manuals. The Business Policy Manual, and the Employee Handbook, which is derived from the BPM.

As with anything you create, it needs to be maintained, and so you will need to constantly "red line" a copy, and at an annual review of the policy, you meet or confer with people, solicit inputs, and then incorporate changes in the Revision or totally rewrite the book. I'll consider writing one or both, for the right fee.

I happen to have, somewhere around here some employee hanbooks, and safety books, from various employers. I have no guilt about plagiarizing them, for an 'ER or 'EE handbook.

You might find the CCH Small Business Toolkit, useful for other ideas.

:/

Reply to
Halcitron

No revolution here in the US, gov. protects businesses all the way, least the gov. wants is regulate businesses, they like to keep it as a jungle envirement, with it's own rules. Last 20 years in the US we have the so called "Temporarily jobs" (no benefits, no paid vacations etc...) and companies abusing it much as possible. I know people worked as a temp. for many years. Some time they just hiring you, promising benefits after 4-5 months of employment, but when the time comes up they get rid of you. I've been there. I'm very good in my job, even trained many others. I'm a temp. right now, took me 3-4 months to get this job, with over 20 years Machinist, CNC , Tool and die making experience. Money I'm making now at this company same I used to make 6-7 years ago, but inflation tripled since than, houses are cost 3 times more now days . Large companies offering competitive, good benefits and salaries, but hard to get a job there, at least in my area, unless know some one inside. JS

Reply to
Szaki

"Neal" wrote in news:1111101101.389938.315890 @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

You can negotiate. I'm amazed that people who will haggle a car dealer to death over 50 bucks on $30,000.00 vehicle, will sit there like a clam when offered a job. Everything can be negotiated. Only a mope would leave a place where they get three or four weeks, only to start over at one week of vacation time. Screw their employee handbook and their neat little rules. If they need you, and you are any good, they will give you what you ask for. Why would I leave a job for anything less than what I have now?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

It is all only money, I had a spreadsheet where I could show you dollars per hour, vacation, sick, holiday etc, and show the dollar per hour cost to me. For instance is you pay a guy 20 bucks and hour, ups to

24 after comp and unemployment, your total cost is 49920 for the 2080 hours you are paying for, then divide by the amount of hours you are actually getting work for and you have your real cost per hour. If you have 8 holidays, 2 sick days and 2 weeks vacation, it is 26 and hour, 3 weeks vacation is 26.55 etc etc. YOu can do the same with medical diability...anyway, you would do well to make up such a spreadsheet[its on an old computer of mine] and use it for yourself and your employees.
Reply to
yourname

Work here and it's free. Otherwise, pay a reseller. It's quite expensive too.

Reply to
dlevy

I certainly don't disagree that it's my fault. I should have fired him a long time ago.

Reply to
dlevy

Yup. I started out as Mr Nice Guy too. I'm still Mr Nice Guy but on a more selective basis now :-)

Reply to
hamei

No offense intended, but you got to push for more- don't settle for that shit- the best time to look for a better job is when you got a job- that way you can pick and choose. I suspect that the reason you find work as a temp is because you've let yourself play into their hands. Get mad pal, start going to shops and say "Need an experienced machinist ? Listen, I got 20 years under my belt..." tell them what you can do- show them if you get the chance. I see no reason why a good hard working experienced guy needs that temp bullshit. One shop owner was posting last week how he has to pussy-foot his way around his employees regarding the smoking issue because he can't get any replacements. Surely every other shop has one guy they'd like to replace- why don't you go and find it ?

Best of luck

Laz

Reply to
Laz

I did that, but when I walk in offering my self for work, they all want to low ball me. It's demand and supply! Right now there are more supply in my area. Big companies still laying off, not hiring, effecting all job shops around here. JS

Reply to
Szaki

I temped for 2 years while ramping my business up. Only sometimes as a 'machinist' It was the best working environment of my life, other than my own shop. Envision this:

making 30 percent more than you would at a straight job

if you work for a single job house all year[very common on good contracts] you will get a weeks vacation. Some guys were on contracts at big bucks for over 5 years!

After 30 days you get paid holidays

NEVER WORRY ABOUT OFFICE POLITICS, because YOU DON'T WORK THERE!

You CANNOT be fired: IE show up to work, drunk, in a dress. boss kicks you to the curb. GO directly to unemployment office, still drunk, in the same dress and collect unemployment. Its a beautiful thing. Of course I wouldn't try that particular trick too often.

On the other hand, if you think having a wide range of skills means knowing where the cycle start button is on an Okuma AND a Fadal, you might not do well temping. I for instance had jobs wiring ion implanters, building solar panel fab machines, building production conveyors, replacing caps on hundreds of defective flow meters, building test equipment for medical instruments, and even machining.

If your answer to most things is 'Yeah, I can do that' you might do well.

Favorite temp saying: "We're all temps, some of us just know it"

Favorite temp moment: Boss calls me in, says they are going to renew my contract for another 3 months. Work is good, get along with everyone blah blah, only caveat, you need to work on getting in on time. Now we are talking about coming in at 7:03 or 7:07, which I alway make up for at the end of the day. Yeah, well, you need to work on that. I look him straight in the eye and say: Well, if you have a problem with that, I'm a temp, fire me. He didn't

God I loved being a temp

Not as much as working for myself, but it was ok.

Now this was all 1990-1992 and no doubt market forces are different. Many of the contract houses I worked for no longer exist

Reply to
yourname

With respect- I realize that, and I hate these nickel-and-dime jerks- I don't work for someone who offers me 15 cents per hour less than what he just asked I expected. Still, when I tell myself to move on for whatever reason, I do my bit to make that change happen.

Laz

Reply to
Laz

Gee man, 1990-92, I had a temp job within a day? It's 2005 now, Bush is the president second term )o:. I had my application at 2 temp agencies, took 3 months to get this temp job for 30% less money, I use to make and it's only good for 6 months or so. Till 1990, I never heard of temp jobs before. JS

Reply to
Szaki

spreadsheet[its

employees.

I'd like a copy of that spreadsheet, if you could clean any personnel information from it, and email it to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.

I have just the opposite of what you have.

As an job hunter, I made an Excel spreadsheet, where I can input my supplimental incomes (Military retirement), and a monthly budget, based on 160 hours per month, and find a break even point. It will show me what I need per hour, to make the budget.

I can also calculate the gasoline useage for the daily commute and my weekend driving, giving me a monthly fuel budget.

I have made three budget columns, for High (Dream on), Actual and Unemployment. I won't bore you with the details.

If I have an address, I can calculate an hourly wage, to the nickel, based on a living budget.

When job hunting, it is nice to be able to give - or accept an offer of

-, a good wage/salary number, especially when the cost of living keeps fluctuating.

:)

Reply to
Halcitron

Cliff wrote in news:v472411kmutfv59eqfi6fmkp6vdhgks3r8@

4ax.com:

Sage advice. I wonder how many independent contractors and service techs don't have any liability insurance. I'm willing to bet not many of them do. Some companies, smart ones anyway, require proof of insurance for anyone that comes in to work on a machine in case they have an accident. When I was working as an A.E. I used to carry a copy with me. After having to cool my heels in the lobby a couple of times, I figured it was just easier. But I'd have to guess that maybe one company out of a hundred or so ever checked to make sure I was insured.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

Cliff wrote in news:9u63419s8t3rga30nsnmuq3ivjkk9ip8bf@

4ax.com:

No, I understood that. Just adding another dimension to what you said. I had a customer lose his shop because he had no liability insurance. It was a shame too, as his business was just starting to take off. He was sub contracted a job and the material was supplied by his customer. Turns out that they supplied him with the wrong material and the OEM sued to recover some of the cost of a massive recall. Turns out the OEM and the vendors didn't have a good system of lot control, so there was really no way of knowing where all of the bad parts were. Anyway, it bankrupted my customer. He was sure that he wouldn't be held liable, he was wrong. We had a machine on a truck and had to get hold of the driver before it was delivered. The riggers were already at his place. We were able to stop the delivery, so the thing didn't end up locked inside his shop for months on end.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

If you get hurt on the job, Medicare covers you, according to my contractors policy. Julius

Reply to
Szaki