Experience with pallet jack

I was phone interviewing one guy today for an open position.

I asked what experience he has and with what.

He told me that "he has a lot of experience using pallet jack" (end of experience).

Ignoramus4933

That's a bit limited, but don't discount him as a potential good employee. Not everyone is capable of or wants a higher end position, people content to do the grunt work deserve some respect as well.

Reply to
Pete C.

Electric or hand? Hand is fairly safe to product but a operator can hurt himself and the right/wrong operator will claim it wasn't his fault.

An electric 6000 lb jack under power could cause significant damage to product as well the operator. Then it becomes a double whammy.

I'm not against getting stoned or drinking but............ Does the guy have a med. pot card or oui ? A pre hire piss test will weed out the total deadbeats. Its gonna cost ya money to find out but better now than after. Once he is hired, workmans comp steps in....... you are paying workmans comp? I service a company with a hundred pieces of equipment..... It's a freaking nightmare what I see and what they have to deal with on a daily basis. I don't know the workers rights out there where your at. Good luck to ya.

On a side note

Iggy I like you... hard working guy looking to get ahead in life.. too many deadbeat out there looking to get the easy way out on the backs of guys who are actually trying to make it. If your actually looking to hire someone and your gut says whoa then interview someone else.

jeff

Reply to
jeff

I'm the reason one company stopped allowing customers to use pallet jacks on the floor. I sheared a bunch of stupidly mounted equipment off a wall, which was next to a freight elevator.

They put everything back with crash bars around it at some point.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I would ideally like someone with a decent energy level and who knows how to use tools and a torch. There is a lot of work of this kind.

Reply to
Ignoramus4933

And he wants $48/hr, right?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Are you looking to hire a full-time employee, or just have a hand around when you need one? I only need a hand every once in awhile and hire from the temp agencies. It costs about $16/hr to get a guy who gets $9/hr. That covers work comp insurance for the day, the temp agency fees, and his taxes/wages. Minimum 4 hours. If you need a screened person just every once in awhile, consider temp agencies.

Does your company have work comp ins? As a business, it's mandatory for employees here, and I thought that's was a federal requirement. I can't afford to pay $4k/yr for temp employee coverage. My liability insurance company says they can't give it to me because I don't have it. (How's that for a catch 22?) I'd have to go through the state.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I got a resume from a guy in the carting industry who was experienced in "handling collections".

Reply to
ATP

Perhaps not who you're looking for, my point was more general. Then again sometimes you have a person who may have some potential but never had the opportunity to learn to use tools. A friend of mine is a teacher at a school for talented / gifted students yet he routinely finds students who don't know how to use a socket set or even a ruler. This is a serious (and ultimately catastrophic) failing of schools today pushing everyone towards some "knowledge economy" path and belittling any student who has interests or talents in "dirty" hands on areas.

Reply to
Pete C.

But better than if he had claimed he had a lot of experience that he did not have. I once interviewed a guy that claimed he could do carpentry. I would ask him if he could do various things and the answer was always that he could do that. But when I asked what was the sum of two fractions , something like 1/2 plus 1/4, he could not do that. I felt sorry for him, but we just could not afford him.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

We had a totally awful time keeping a crew here this fall. I lost count of the number of people that worked one or two days and left. We had to run help wanted ads in the paper for the first time in years. I hired people for six days a week and they would ask for four days off, then wonder why I didn't need them the next week.

I think the work ethic is finally going to pot up here in MN also. Enough to make me consider retiring.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend