Riding a Pallet Jack

After seeing a few pallet jack posts, I wanted to ask if anyone else has ever ridden a pallet jack?
Thanks.

My son did, I had a 3 phas pallet jack and we played elevator with him a little bit (very carefully, for safety weenies).
"Ignoramus24428" wrote:

OMG that is so irresponsible of you, how DARE you raise your child to think something like a pallet jack is a TOY! You must IMMEDIATELY take him out to said pallett jack and HIT HIM OVER THE HEAD WITH IS so that he can understand how dangerous this tool is!
:)
Jon
"JWho" wrote: After seeing a few pallet jack posts, I wanted to ask if anyone else has ever ridden a pallet jack? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You mean like a scooter? It's fun, but the steering can be very abrupt if you're not careful. DAMHIKT

Yes, like a scooter. I once worked at a plant on 3rd shift (no big wigs around), and a couple of us got good enough to occasionally get it going, then whip it around on the slick concrete floor for a 180 and back it under a pallet. We also had an "upper plant" division connected by a long sloped bank (so a fork lift could go up it). Pushing as fast as you could, then hitting the down ramp for more speed was a blast! Watch that first turn, though! :-) It was definitely faster than "hop off and run it out if something happened speed". I always warned the forklift driver that I was going for a run. Safety first. :-)

Yupp :-o
Used to have pallet jack races (timed course) during lunch in the warehouse. (back in my younger days :) )
Enough effort in the driving action (feet on the forks, hands on the lift handle and a back and forth handle action) and you could make it get-up-and-go.
I Know, I know, not real safe, and I've still got a scar on my shin to prove it. t'was fun though.
Bob rgentry_at_oz_dot_net _AT_ = @, _dot_ = . to eMail

DOH! We never thought to have timed races. I did the weave back and forth to get it going thing, though. :-) It was indeed fun.

The electrics are a lot more fun. <g>
Steve

has
How fast will an electric one go?

Depends on the modifications, but faster than one SHOULD go on an electric pallet jack.
Steve <g>
Back in high school, I worked at a grocery store and it was standard procedure to sit on the electric pallet jack, pull down the handle (it won't go if the handle is up) and then drive it around. Steering required you to extend your arm a bit, but you got used to it quick. We did it all the time. I've noticed that modern electric pallet jacks have the area above the battery either slanted or very narrow, probably to discourage sitting.

the big reason to not ride the ones not to be rode on is to keep the rider from getting elctrocuted theres enough voltage in one of those batteries to drop a cow ,but the best power jacks to use is the big ones you stand on those are fun especially if you hit some water can turn the whole thing around 180 in one spot if you hit it just right fun/unsafe ratio is about 50/50
sounds like a Segway to me

I thought Segways were silent.
Steve
No they actually play music. you know that sound that servos make when they go round and round plus there's some gyros Just makin silly .

i'm like "what red blooded male could possibly resist, after being around one long enough for it to dawn on him it could be ridden, the temptation to attempt to ride a pallet jack?!"
would be a funny science experiment, put a pallet jack in amongst a group of males who have never seen one before and see how long it would take for one of them to try to ride it.
i had to go to a warehouse a few days ago and it was a long time since i'd been near a pallet jack. the guy who works there was pushing it away from me and he hopped on and was kicking it like a skateboard, i smiled. it looked like fun to be silently gliding along on that smooth concrete.
b.w.

of
one
More fun to have 3 groups 1 group all male, one group 50-50 male female split and one group all female. Nothing else to do just the pallet lift. Then time how long... and measure the other group members reactions. Then repeat with a warning playing with these things is dangerous sign.
Pat

Probably cut the time in half with a caveat.
Steve

has
How dare you intimate that there are people here who would do such a dangerous thing... ;-0
That being said it is much more fun to race them. One place I worked at had a nice layout for it. In the front of the place they had a loading dock that had a nice concrete ramp coming from truck level to floor level, then a slight down grade from the ramp all the way to the opposite end of the plant, make a left at the bottom of the runway and go across another room turn right and another incline all the way to the rear dock doors. Was about 350 yards from end to end.
Visited a construction site one time where they really had fun with them. They were using them at the top of the structure to move things around, for night storage they wanted them stored at ground level. Getting them down was FUN. It was a parking garage with every level inclined. 3 floors at the time I was there.
-
Pallet Jacks? Fork-lifts?? Baaaaa....bunch of sissy's. You guys wanna race sumpn' ?? try this:
http://www.hackermovies.de/moviefiles/HM_RacingBeats.wmv
Bet Bob Chilcoat wins!!
Have Fun. I replayed it about 6 times, ROTFLMAO.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario

Site Timeline