What is it? Set 463

Today's set has been posted:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.
2690: Those are for picking up nuts and bolts etc you've dropped somewhere inaccessible.

2692: Rifle barrel

2694: For carrying those big round hay bales.
Reply to
Dave Baker
2689 incense holder for some really totally stoned dudes 2690, probably some picker uppers for a specialized industry. Beyond that, no ideas. 2691, yah got me chief. Might be a valve shut off tool, for some kind of valve? 2692. I know what you're thinking, punk. Was it five shots, or was it six? Now, the question you have to ask yourself. Are you feeling lucky, today? Punk? 2693, part of a gate latch, for a very large gate. 2694. Scoop for moving round bales of hay.

.

Rob

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Rob H. wrote the following on 10/18/2012 4:13 AM (ET):

2689 - For cutting circles for sawing in wood.

2690 - Clamps or tweezers. Slide the fat parts down to close the points for gripping.

2692 - rifling in a gun barrel.
Reply to
willshak

willshak wrote the following on 10/18/2012 8:24 AM (ET):

Ooops, meant 'marking' instead of cutting.

Reply to
willshak

Looks too short for a rifle , I'd say it's a pistol barrel . Most likely a .45 ACP . The angle of the photo hides the lug .

Reply to
Snag

Today's set has been posted:

Rob

2689 Cribbage board?
Reply to
WW

Item 2693 is an automatic hitch for wagons. When set you can just push/back into the wagon and it automatically grabs the pin. Add a rope to the trip lever and the wagon can be released without having to get down and pull the pin.

I assume you have the patent number already? If not I'll post it...

Reply to
Leon Fisk
2690 Over 60 years ago, when repairing a radio, from time-to-time, it was necessary to get a nut into a difficult position to get a screw started from the other side of a panel. Tools like these were used by very well-equipped people. I used a stick with gum, wax or tape.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always

2689) Looks like a tool for drawing (scribing) multiple parallel lines on wood. The three rows have three different step increments (I can't tell what size they are). So either a square stop pin goes in the hole -- or more likely a T-head is pinned to the holes by a square pin, to keep the shaft at right angles to the edge of the workpiece.

If the three rows did not start out in line, I would instead suggest that it was intended to step between the rows to get finer step divisions.

2690) O.K. Looking mostly at the second image, and going from left to right, the first (leftmost) is a screw starting screwdriver. You slide the outer shank down to bring the two tips together, place the joined tips together into the slot of a standard slotted screw, and slide the outer shank back a bit allowing them to spread out a bit to grip the screw. Not a particularly strong grip, but enough to hold it until it is guided into the hole and the first turn or so are made. Then the task is shifted to a regular screwdriver for strength.

The second looks as though it could hold either small nuts or the OD of Phillips headed screws for starting onto a threaded stud.

The third is more of a puzzlement, but given its common design with the others, I think that it could either hold a nut at an angle while a screw is started from the other side, or perhaps could hold the inside of the slot of a screw from a side angle while the nut is started on the other side.

All in all -- a quite useful set of tools.

2691) Perhaps a driver for square nuts of a given size -- or for turning valve stems, or even floodgate shanks on a canal.

It is adjusted to size by sliding the crossbar shown in the second photo towards the end.

2692) The end view down the bore of a rifle or pistol barrel -- likely pistol given the apparent shortness.

Looks as though it needs cleaning, too. A bit of rust on the lands and other stuff in the grooves.

2693) Designed to grip or release heavy loads depending on which end of the lever is pulled down.

Looks like it slides over steel cable, but perhaps over an eye or a cross-bolt.

The two holes to the right attach to the cable from the crane.

2694) I *think* that this is for picking up and moving recently cut down trees -- likely for loading them onto trucks to carry to the sawmill.

Now to post and then check what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Sounds like a good answer but I haven't found any like it on the web

Close

Partially correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope, not a .45

Reply to
Rob H.

Correct. Yes, I have the patent for it but thanks for the offer.

Reply to
Rob H.

These two items were sent in by people looking to identify them, I don't think they are going to make it on to the web site but maybe someone here can tell us what they are.

Rob H.

Or a logo from a James Bond movie.

Reply to
J. Clarke

  1. Artifacts found at Roswell.
Reply to
G. Ross

Hmm ... the characters look somewhat arabic -- but I'm not sure.

This looks like some form of pilot light (the electric one which is used to tell that something electrically powered is on, not what keeps a gas stove ready to light. However, since this is double-ended with different colors, I suspect that it may be something from a model railroad setup -- part of the signals to say whether it is safe to proceed or not. Perhaps for a live steam scale model setup.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

2689: The tapered pin suggests it's to make circles, from 4.5 to 27.5" in diameter. Somebody took a lot of trouble to cut 45 square holes through a board about an inch thick. That suggests it was for a blade and or wheel not just a scratching point.

How about glass cutting? Clock faces, for example, might have that size range. The tapered pin probably went into a block of wood that the craftsman stuck to the glass.

Reply to
J Burns

Got me. Totally no clue. Obviously had meaning to whoever made them.

.

Stormin Mormon

Yes, I think it was a wedding gift. It sort of resembles a spoon (and reminds me of the "love spoon" concept), but I could find no furthere examples.

Reply to
Bill