OT computer/video question OT

I'm tryin' to assemble diverse pieces into a sorta-kinda media center . One of those pieces is a computer , Intel D865PERL MoBo with ATI 9600 series video card . The video looks great on a VGA monitor but ain't so great on my TeeVee . I'm hooked up with an s-video cable straight off the card into the TeeVee , and the picture is B&W for all practical purposes . Drivers and all are up-to-date . I'm wondering if it's just a cheap cable , it's one my son got with another device . Got an adapter (s-vid male/rca female) that I'll try since I was too late to cancel the order (didn't know son had cables ...) . Another option is the DVR I hooked up yesterday . It has an ethernet port and recognized my network . Only problem is that the menu didn't show the network options it's supposed to have when hooked to a network . I'd really rather stream from my in-house servers thru the DVR , cuz that's one less device in my living room . Doing it that way will also let me stream stuff like netflix onto my TeeVee ...

-- Snag And this all started because "WE" wanted to watch The Blind Side

Reply to
Snag

Possibly.

It may be wired for a different application.

The DVR probably needs an IP address assigned for it to work with your network.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

snip

you are probably running at a much higher resolution than the TV's native resolution - the loss of color suggests inadequate video bandwidth so a cable could contribute there, but in general a TV's resolution is dramatically lower than most computer monitors, and the video bandwidth is also dramatically lower -

Reply to
Bill Noble

Is the aforementioned TeeVee analog or digital?

If digital, try HDMI / DVI. I got a poor picture using s-video from an ATI 9250 card to a Visio HDTV/monitor.

Else If analog, give up.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The video card (ATI Radeon 9600/9550/1050X series) is intended for just this type of application . That's where I'm plugged .

It's set to auto-detect , the router assigned an IP address (192.168.1.104) and had all the proper entries for subnet mask and all that , but the network options don't come up when I press the "menu" key .

Reply to
Snag

Hmm , one thing I saw in properties (I think , I'm a bit confused right now) that referred to a refresh rate of 25 Hz ... and that was the only selection . Might this be part of the problem ?

Reply to
Snag

Hmm , this is an older analog CRT TeeVee , we still be in the stone age in that respect . In fact , the only digital/LCD displays we have are our computers ...

Reply to
Snag

analog TV refreshes at 30 hz so 25 might be right, or 60 hz interlaced. Resolution is less than VGA though, closer to EGA - video bandwidth is way too low for even a 640X480 picture - unless you really love the TV, you would be better served using a computer monitor for the TV display and driving it with a TV card when you want to watch a program from a broadcast station - some computer monitors have multiple inputs - analog, digital and also S video or other VCR type output - for some years I used an old color monitor with a VCR for a TV for the kids - much better picture than a TV and it was free - and it worked with their computer too.

Reply to
Bill Noble

Ya know , it's a good thing I've got less than ten bucks and a couple of hours on this project . I think I'm going to concentrate on using the DRV to access that media - just gotta figure out why it doesn't wanna "see" the rest of my network .

Reply to
Snag

I was talking about the cable, not the card.

That doesn't mean that the DVR can access it. All it means is that the router SEES something connected to 192.168.1.104.

There are a lot of complaints about this problem with DVR and BlueRay players. Check the menus in the DVR and make sure its configured for a network, including the network name.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If it is a TV output card with S-Video output it will only run at NTSC standard 30 Hz vertical and 15,734.3434 Hz Horizontal. Anything else would either shut the TV down, or destroy the sweep circuits.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hi Snag,

The 25Hz refresh suggests that it may be a European / African / Arabic / Oceanian / Soviet / Asian spec' card, or configured in software as such - unlike the USA and Canada (and perhaps Pacific rim, e.g. Phillipines?) most of the world uses 625-line 50Hz interlaced [1] analogue video (as opposed to

525-line 60Hz interlaced) which gives 25 full frames per second - the luminance (black and white brightness) signal's pretty much compatible and the TV's scan circuitry can (usually) synchronise to it, but the chrominance (colour information) is in PAL (Phase Alternate Line) format rather than NTSC (Never Twice the Same Colour ;) ) - the sub-carrier frequency's different so the TV probably can't lock onto it (although a lot of Euro TVs can receive NTSC, additional circuitry being fitted for it). Check whether the video card setup software has an option for NTSC Vs PAL - if so, selecting NTSC will probably bring up the right options for the S-VHS connector to drive a USAnian NTSC TV.

Hope that helps,

Dave H.

Reply to
Dave H.

Easy to guess ... OK , I've played with the refresh rate , it was set to

25Hz interlaced , which is where I presume it needs to be for an older (8-10 yrs ?) analog CRT television . Nothing I do seems to have any effect on the picture I get on the tv , monitor I have hooked up looks just fine - vibrant color , in focus , great detail for a small monitir . I'm beginning to think this tv is just too old to interface with a computer without a converter box of some kind between the two . That leaves me with a couple of choices , neither of which is exactly cheap - new flatscreen tv or buy a "media box" as suggested by a friend on another forum . Neither is likely , rifgt now because we are just gettin' by since I got laid off . The one other thing I can do is to try the adapter I ordered the other day (s-vhs to RCA) when it arrives . If that doesn't work I have one option left , and that is to figger out why the DVR recognizes a connection to my network but won't give me the menu items to actually use that connection .
Reply to
Snag

">> --

let's try this again - IT WONT WORK - the video bandwidth is inadequate.

Reply to
Bill Noble

Well , it might not work straight into the TV ... but I finally got the DVR to connect to my network , and I can now play my stuff thru it . I'm assuming the reason the direct connection won't work is because of the age/type of my TV ? Though it really doesn't matter now , since I've achieved my goal .

Reply to
Snag

You're right. it won't work, if you don't know what the hell you're doing. The card produces EITHER NTSC OR SVGA, but it doesn't try to run a TV at the SVGA resolution. I've used video cards with NTSC output for over 10 years.

That 25 Hz refresh rate is a specification for the SVGA port, not the S-VHS port. The age of the TV has nothing to do with it. It is either a cabling problem, or a defective video card.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Weeelllll , let's just say I'm in learning mode . The video card is an ATI Radeon 9600/9550/X1050 series . I just pulled up the specs and this statement is copied from there "Integrated TV Output support up to 1024x768 resolution ." I also see that this card supports ATI Catalyst , which I don't have on that comp . Download time ...

Reply to
Snag

And crossed another item off her 'list'. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell