Novel idea for a DVR

If Digital Video Recorder, records digital broadcasts (dish network, Direct TV or even your computer with an ATI card) (and the government listens to phone calls on Condor?) Seems to me someone can invent a terabyte DVR that records the digital stream from the dishes LNB instead of the channel tuner. In this way all the channels can be viewed from the LNB recording. Imagine a DVR that records 150 channels at one time. I'm sure the 100's of channels are interlaced in some sort of time multiplexing. Granted under the current hard drive limitations you might only get two hours of recording time.

I think DVRs are going to an internet, video on demand, model. The machine can accumulate the shows over time so you would pay by how soon you want the show to be available. If you are willing to wait for the next broadcast to lots of customers it would be cheap, otherwise a "right now" show would cost more. My RTV 4508 can record of the net right now and that is 4 year old technology. It is just waiting for conternt providers to release their strangle hold on distribution.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have a dvr built into one of my dish network recvrs and a TIVO connected to the other. Dish network also has a rcvr with two DVR's in one unit. My TIVO can be remotely accessed by the internet so I can watch local programs from anywhere.

What you're talking about is theoretically quite simple to do- its simply a high-resolution analog-to-digital recorder, but its sensitivity and resolution requirements, as well as storage demands, make it somewhat impractical.

Look for some surplus CIA/NSA signals intelligence equipment- that'll do the job.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

You would need at least a couple LNB's to achieve this.

The amount of storage space required would be HUGE.

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick

Reply to