Semi-neat trick for sealing 5C collets

Or simply stick a plastic pipe plug in the ass end of the spindle at the collet closer. I keep a box of them on hand just for this..as I found a bunch of them and was too lazy to make up an 1.125 plug out of delrin with an o ring on it.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Turning some 304 SS parts, my Omniturn doesn't really like this stuff. Maybe don't have the best part off tool for the material, but using what I got. Parting off at low rpm, high flood coolant flow, and this allows a lot of coolant to get through the slots in the collet face. Seldom have this trouble at high rpm...

Fixed it with a couple dabs of oil based modeling clay packed into the slots. Works perfect, easily removed when done.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

That works good unless the material extends beyond the end of the spindle...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

True enough. Then you stick a tuna can on the collet closer and as the spray comes off the bar, it splashes around the sides of the tuna can..and then drips out into your tray.

Chuckle..Ive seen it done a million different ways.

The clay is a very good method too!

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Say, I do refits as a hobby and a little side income. I've always wanted to hear more about Omni from a user.

Its PC based, correct? What OS is on the puter?

I know it does analog servos. Is there some sort of DSP card or does the PC itself do the PID control?

Is there some sort of isolation card for I/O to the PC? Is there a separate PLC for logic or is this done within the PC?

Is it easy to add custom Mcodes? How about Gcodes?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Caldera Open Dos

The MC-2 card is controlled by the PC, which in turn controls the amps etc etc.

The MC2 card does all the interfacing between the PC and the amps. It directly controls the various relays, the 0-10 for the VFD and so forth.

No one I know is writing custom codes for it.

Everything in an OmniTurn is off the shelf..with the sole exception of the MC2 card

Gunner, OmniTurn factory trained CNC tech

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Oh..and the software. Thats not open source either.

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Overall, it's very easy to use, though I have pondered trying to interface Mach3. Just pondered, I've got plenty on my plate right now...

I can't get the OEM mobo to recognize a HDD. I replaced it with one that would, but a power spike killed it and I'm back to the original. Hard to find a 486 mobo with an ISA slot where I need it for the riser card. At a price I'm willing to pay anyway, Omni wants something like $600 for a mobo, and even on ebay most that will work for me run a couple hundred. Maybe a better solution would be to cable all the connections outside the box so I can use a standard computer in a mini-tower. That frees me up to use most any mobo. When I did have it working with a HDD, I was using a CF card to IDE adapter in a 3.5" floppy bay and a Kodak 20mb CF card. Can't hot swap the card, but it sure made it easy to back up the entire setup to my desktop.

It's pretty limited in terms of doing anything custom so far as I can see, but for what it does, it does it very very well. It sure made a major difference in my shop and the work I can do. I've done some simple delrin parts, and knock them out fast enough to make close to $150/hr. Unfortunately that job doesn't come around very often... :(

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

That is quick and cheap. Nice, on topic, idea. You earn an atta boy, 999 more gets you a breakfast at Denny's. One aw chit wipes the scoring slate clean so you know.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Are you sure it isn't Caldera Open Linux? My mail server and firewall computer a decade+ or so ago ran that. Caldera played nice with Novell. As for the firewall, I wonder if

still exists. Yes it does! It was good stuff back when.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I think I still have a 486 box out in the garage. Send me a picture of your MB so I can tell if my old board would fit your machine. If so, I'll send you the thing. Not like I want to fire it up again to run a 12 year old version of Caldera again. Well, I might just once to see if the board still works.

Wes

Wes

If anyone's been keeping score on me, I'm running such a negative balance, it'll take 10 saintly lifetimes in a row just to get back to zero...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Not like I

With keyboard port facing me, and ISA slots on the right, board must be

8-5/8" wide. Can be deeper in the other direction, but not wider. Must have an ISA slot at 4-3/8 from the left side. That about sums it up. If it looks like what you have will work, I'm sure I can find something of interest to swap back.

Thank you!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Unless they changed it sometime in the past 2 days...yes...Im sure.

They ran it on MSDOS 6.0..then got a nasty letter from Microsofts attorney...seems they only had purchased one copy...and had shipped a few hundred machines with copies of the DOS along with the operating files necessary to make it run. This about 2002 IRRC..

Then they went to Caldera Open Dos

Ive been part of the group since..humm 1996 and a lot of the helpful hints and tips in those sections..I wrote.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

MB so I can

Not like I

The Stuff you sent are on my bench and are on the sched for testing and setup.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

MB so I can

Not like I

Sorry, it was older than I thought. 386.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

MB so I can

thing. Not like I

It will work just fine, as long as the ISA slots are in the right place.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

What are you looking for? I had a couple dozen 486&586 ISA motherboards out in the shop that worked. I haven't fired up any of them in years. I might even have a new one left from my used PC business days.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell