What is it? Weekend Edition 3

Below are some items that were sent in to me, I know the answer for number

11 but not for the other two.

  1. This was found in a graveyard, it's about 3-1/4" long, it has three threaded compartments with a lid, two compartments were full of grease.

  2. Two different items that were submitted, both with the same purpose:

  1. The owner's description: It's made of solid brass, approx. 1" long,

3/4" tall, 3/4" deep, had 2 small brass risers approx. 1/8" diameter, with sliding stainless steel rod inserted through left brass riser with set screw to hold in place, small stainless steel rod affixed in right riser, small hooked cutting blade with adjusting screw mounted on rear of device.
Rob H.
11 - guessing: a chemist's or pharmacist's scoop, for scooping small amounts of product for mixing with another or putting on a scale for measuring exact amount
Reply to
Sonny

Reply to
Doug Miller

12 is probably used in clock wheel repair work; I'm assuming that there are holes in the pointed ends of the rods. The hook is for securing the wheel in one position while work is being done at one part of the wheel.
Reply to
Mark F

Hmm ... two full of grease -- both the same type, or some difference between them? And the third was totally empty and clean?

At a guess, it could have been a portable maintenance kit for something with bearings. Knowing more about the types of grease might help.

For planting seeds or small bulbs?

Terrible photo.

Given that the hooked device is described as a blade of some sort, it is some kind of minimal hand-powered lathe. At a guess, for truing the wheels for something like the wooden block race cars made by scouts and the like. (I forget the name of these cars but they are fairly common at certain times of the year.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I'd guess a maintenance kit for an outdoor item; probably a rifle or shotgun, which has a compartment in the stock to clip this little gizmo in place

Maybe a holder for spooling thread onto a bobbin? The hooked blade would be used to snip the thread when you have enough

Reply to
whit3rd

I sent an email to the owner of it asking if there are holes in the pointed rods but haven't heard back yet.

Others have guessed apple corer and chemist scoop for number 11, neither of these is correct although the word scoop is part of the right answer.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Seems I've seem a similar item as the second pic in # 11. After further consideration: maybe a dining utensil- for tea, sugar, salt?

-, but it seems I've seen a similar item on a lady's dressing table... part of a manicure set.... I just don't recall.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

11 is a marrow scoop. EdR
Reply to
Ed Rinehart

Your first guess is closer, it's for use at the table but not for tea, sugar or salt.

Reply to
Rob H.

Nope, that one looks more like a long thin spoon.

Reply to
Rob H.

I think they may be butter scoops.

Reply to
Kevin(Bluey)

Similar items are called cheese scoops, but some made about 1805 were called butter scoops.

Reply to
J Burns

Dining is correct. These are marrow spoons.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Watermelon?

Reply to
William Bagwell

10 looks like choke tubes for a Shot Gun ( are they marked full, mod or improved?)

Dave

Reply to
Farmer Dave

Grapefruit spoon?

Reply to
John Husvar

Nah, those are marrow spoons

--riverman

Reply to
riverman

Cheese scoops is correct, more specifically stilton cheese scoops, as seen in these images:

Concerning the mold from Thursday's set, the owner of it said he will try to cast a piece from it with either babbet or solder. Not sure if he has a digital camera or not, if so I'll see if he can send some photos.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I asked the owner about text on it, here is the reply:

"The top third has the letters "Chr" on it - what I would call old school writing loopy with the 'r' done the way the French would do it. The second third looks like it has "lat" on it and the last third looks like 'Info' - all a bit strange."

Also I should mention that these photos were sent in from England.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.