What is it? Weekend Edition 11

These items were all sent in to me.

  1. I don't know what this one is:

  1. The large end is hollow and has a small screw-on cap:

You can test your memory on these last two since they were posted on the site a while ago:

  1. Around 6 or 7 inches long:

  1. 34" long:

Rob H.
43 I'll make a quick wild guess that this is a well-pipe retriever. It looks like it might go into a pipe, and when twisted, jam to pull the pipe out.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

46 is a "hay harpoon", punched into loose hay on a wagon, then the handle turns the point sideways & ropes/pulleys hoist hay into mow.
Reply to
Nahmie

Correct

Reply to
Rob H.

Someone had sent this to me quite a while ago, I've shown it to a few people but no one knew what it was, I think this is first guess that I've heard for it. I'll pass it along to the owner. Thanks

Reply to
Rob H.

It doesn't look strong enough to grab a pipe from the inside securely.

My guess is that it is used to clean the inside of a pipe, perhaos by breaking the rust loose. Are the tops of the bolts that stick out worn?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I don't know if they are worn or not, this was sent to me a year or two ago, too long ago to find the email and ask the owner about it. Maybe if he reads the newsgroups he will answer your question.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I wonder if the bolts kept brake linings from slipping. Could it be the shoe assembly of a self-actuating brake to keep the wheel of a hand cart from rolling backward?

With a two-wheeled cart, a man might move a ton on a firm, level surface, but not up a steep slope such as a gangway or creek bank. If each wheel had an automatic brake, swinging the handles from side to side would push the load up the slope with a mechanical advantage of (the distance from the handle to the braking hub) divided by (half the wheelbase).

Reply to
J Burns