What is it? Weekend edition

The photos at the links below were sent to me by people looking to identify the items, for one reason or another these didn't make it on to the web site, hopefully someone will recognize them.

  1. I know the answer for this one, someone bought a house that was built in

1950 and this was in the side yard almost under a bush.

  1. Someone has about 17 of these 3' test tube type cylinders, each have a small hole in them, a rounded bottom and no lip on the top.
    This vase was in the box with the other tubes, it has a finished bottom and

12 holes on the top

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

#2 a sprinkler system pump storage location?

#3 Garden Ridge / Home decor glass tubes for flower arraignments?

#4 cigar cutter?

Rob H. wrote:

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

I had a job in college delivering those for the FB Jones Company, the company that made most of the ones seen in the Boston area. Ajax was another brand.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Insulators, but I don't know for the precise application w/ the multiple on a stand...telephone in an old switch house/yard, maybe???

My dialup was even slower than normal this AM so didn't try to load any more... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Holds a trash can, so you don't have to look at it.

Unfortunately, you end up having to lift a heavy can out of the ground, which is why I believe they fell out of favor.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Yes, it's an in-ground trash can, an ad for it can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

O.K. The images are confused a bit by whatever was in the background. So I have some questions:

1) Is there a hole through the stems. 2) Do the tops come off? It looks like it might be a ground-glass stopper fit with silicone vacuum grease making it appear to be a single piece. 3) Is the bottom rim a ground glass surface?

If the answer to all three of these is "yes", than I think that what you have here is a lab manifold for connecting a single vacuum source (coming through a cast iron or steel plate) and connecting it to up to five different objects which need the vacuum. (If less than five are in use at a time, the caps from question (2) are left on the unused fittings.

The first question is "why are all of these images rotated 90 degrees CCW?

The next question which comes to mind is how round are the holes?

Also - is the bottom lip ground or just heat smoothed?

If the holes are round, and the bottom lip is ground, these could be vacuum containers -- though very likely to break, so I would consider them to be very dangerous in such use. If the holes are too irregular to accept a rubber stopper, then perhaps it is for introducing a flame (a lit splinter) into a gas mix in the tubes. Exactly why is a question to be answered by whoever had them made to start with.

Hmmm ... another rotated image -- and too dark as well.

Perhaps stems of roses come in through the holes to make a halo of blossoms around the glass?

For cutting some round object to length. Obviously not glass, as there are no burn marks from contact with hot glass.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I sent this photo to an insulator collector, he had all different types of them on his site but he had never seen this one before, so either it's a rare insulator or maybe it's something else.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

A miniature beertap?

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Rob H. wrote: ...

Well, are they hollow and are the ends actually removable? I thought it was just reflection/refraction, but the second picture makes me think the laboratory vacuum manifold of another respondent would quite possibly be a good call if so...

They really aren't well-shaped for the purpose of an insulator as I look again as well as it would be unusual for there to not be additional support. I'm thinking I jumped to conclusion too quickly...

--

Reply to
dpb

Wow, that was a pricey item for that era. That amount in 1950 dollars would be the equivalent of about $205 today.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Hi Rob, This probably has noth Threat Report

Total threats found: 4

Viruses

Threats found: 4 Here is a complete list: Threat Name: Bloodhound.Exploit.281 Location:

Threat Name: Bloodhound.Exploit.281 Location:

Threat Name: Bloodhound.Exploit.281 Location:

Threat Name: Bloodhound.Exploit.281 Location:

Lobby Dosser

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob, Got something to send to you for the "What is it?" but don't have your correct email. Mine is good, please reply to me. Norm

Reply to
Nahmie

It does not seem to be your photos. Apparently Norton does a quick scan of the entire site and puts up a fear and loathing message for the issues it finds. Be the same thing as one or two YouTube videos with viruses. What it says is that Photobucket is not real careful when they inspect uploads. Perhaps they don't inspect them at all.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Sounds like this theory is probably correct, Photobucket is the most popular image hosting site on internet, hopefully they will be able to get this problem cleaned up.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

On Saturday I sent your questions to the owners of the items, I'll post their replies when I hear back.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I heard back from Photobucket concerning Norton's virus warning, here is their reply:

"We've tested all of the images/links that Norton was giving that warning for, they are all fine on our end, the 'bloodhound exploit' error gives us reason to believe that Norton may be creating false-positives here due to elements in the image files themselves."

So the bottom line is that there are not any viruses connected to any of my images.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I can remember wearing a motorcycle helmet with a face shield to milk goats because some horns looked hazardous to my eyes if the goat turned its head. I was also wary of getting poked in the abdomen while catching goats in a pen.

Dehorning may be injure an animal, and horns may grow back. Besides, horns can discourage menacing dogs. A horn that was no sharper than a broomstick would be less hazardous. Could this tool have been to remove the point from the horn of a kid or calf?

Reply to
J Burns