A *** NEW *** Challenge is issued

What is it going to be when it grows up?

I may post some more pictures as it takes shape, but don't wait too long before you let us know what you think it is going to be. Somebody may beat you to it.

Same rules. Same points.

Points will be given for getting.

(5 points) General class of item.

(5 points) Specific class of item.

(5 points) Specific item.

(1000 points) Exact and use application.

CLOSE DOES NOT COUNT.

I will post the final work piece sometime tomorrow.

The work piece is made up (in my shop) and the points don't matter. Highest score will be officially named by me as the worlds smartest shade tree machinist. They will hold the title for 5 seconds after they have achieved their score and anybody can contest it in writing during the period for which the title is held.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

This minimill might grow up to be a Bridgeport.

Ignoramus19069

Aluminum lice at a baseball game?

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Its going to be a few hours before anything really new emerges.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

[snip other points and rules]

I think this new picture really gives it away ... you've decided to go into the Big Mouth Billy Bass business (some of us here are old enough to remember those) and you are aiming at the high end market with what you will call a "hand carved plaque" even though it's being cut out by CNC.

Reply to
James Waldby

You're not really making anything. It's simply an excuse to make fine aluminum powder as a base for several kilotons of thermite you're making for the Tea Party and Unintended Consequences crews. ;)

Milling that stuff is a messy procedure, isn't it?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Bob La Londe

A round tuit?

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

Kilotons? For what? To simulate the glass crater at White Sands?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It wont be for the Tea Party people. They are non violent.

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Nope, as you can see I already got aroundtoit. If only just.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

This one is more obvious than the last challenge.

And you are looking at the actual work piece, not the leftover stock.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Hint 2: Most people would make this out of thicker stock.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'd think the parts are likely to be housing ends for new spindles, since this is the area that you've been involved in recently.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Here, does a picture of the other side help?

Bob La Londe

There was no Picture 3, sir.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

NFI on the product.

Question: What's the reasoning behind using a 1/8" mill for a 2+" piece? The right corner radius?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Picture 3 was mentioned in Bob's "A *** NEW *** Challenge is issued (Picture 3)" post, ca 13 Aug 2010 21:26:57 -0700 at link vs. earlier #1 and #2 and later #4 and #5

Reply to
James Waldby

Looks like a female of the mounting plate for a servo motor. Perhaps it is to adapt the motor to something needing the round projection on the other side for centering?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Mostly because I am using a hand piece that won't hold larger mill instead of the main mill spindle right now. The motor weight causes this mill to bind up on the z-axis, atleast with the stepper motors I am currently using.... so I am improvising.

Well, there is that too I guess. Actually when I measured it a 1/4" cutter would have been a closer match, but since I can't use it right now.

Reply to
Bob La Londe