A *** NEW *** Challenge is issued

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2448/dscf1720s.jpg
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1165/dscf1721f.jpg
What is it going to be when it grows up?
I may post some more pictures as it takes shape, but don't wait too long before you let us know what you think it is going to be. Somebody may beat you to it.
Same rules. Same points.
Points will be given for getting.
(5 points) General class of item.
(5 points) Specific class of item.
(5 points) Specific item.
(1000 points) Exact and use application.
CLOSE DOES NOT COUNT.
I will post the final work piece sometime tomorrow.
The work piece is made up (in my shop) and the points don't matter. Highest score will be officially named by me as the worlds smartest shade tree machinist. They will hold the title for 5 seconds after they have achieved their score and anybody can contest it in writing during the period for which the title is held.
Bob La Londe www.YumaBassMan.com

This minimill might grow up to be a Bridgeport.

Aluminum lice at a baseball game?
SW

A round tuit?
Steve

Nope, as you can see I already got aroundtoit. If only just.
http://a.imageshack.us/img339/4681/dscf1722w.jpg
Its going to be a few hours before anything really new emerges.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:26:57 -0700, Bob La Londe wrote:

[snip other points and rules]

I think this new picture really gives it away ... you've decided to go into the Big Mouth Billy Bass business (some of us here are old enough to remember those) and you are aiming at the high end market with what you will call a "hand carved plaque" even though it's being cut out by CNC.
--
jiw

You're not really making anything. It's simply an excuse to make fine aluminum powder as a base for several kilotons of thermite you're making for the Tea Party and Unintended Consequences crews. ;)

Milling that stuff is a messy procedure, isn't it?

Kilotons? For what? To simulate the glass crater at White Sands?
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 06:06:31 -0700, Larry Jaques

It wont be for the Tea Party people. They are non violent.

"
http://a.imageshack.us/img534/6562/dscf1723x.jpg

This one is more obvious than the last challenge.
And you are looking at the actual work piece, not the leftover stock.

Hint 2: Most people would make this out of thicker stock.

There was no Picture 3, sir.
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 20:13:01 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Picture 3 was mentioned in Bob's "A *** NEW *** Challenge is issued (Picture 3)" post, ca 13 Aug 2010 21:26:57 -0700 at link <
http://a.imageshack.us/img339/4681/dscf1722w.jpgvs. earlier <
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/2448/dscf1720s.jpg #1 and <
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1165/dscf1721f.jpg#2 and later <
http://a.imageshack.us/img534/6562/dscf1723x.jpg#4 and <
http://a.imageshack.us/img802/6533/dscf1724.jpg#5
--
jiw

It was mentioned in two posts that I saw, but neither had a link. <shrug>
I'd think the parts are likely to be housing ends for new spindles, since this is the area that you've been involved in recently.
--
WB

"Bob La Londe" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.no> wrote in message
Here, does a picture of the other side help?
http://a.imageshack.us/img802/6533/dscf1724.jpg

NFI on the product.
Question: What's the reasoning behind using a 1/8" mill for a 2+" piece? The right corner radius?

Mostly because I am using a hand piece that won't hold larger mill instead of the main mill spindle right now. The motor weight causes this mill to bind up on the z-axis, atleast with the stepper motors I am currently using.... so I am improvising.

Well, there is that too I guess. Actually when I measured it a 1/4" cutter would have been a closer match, but since I can't use it right now.