Southern Steel

Just got some air tanks in the mail from Import Truck Parts in Georgia. I'm replacing some rusted tanks on my 1987 truck. I'm absolutely amazed at the shape these tanks and air lines are in. It's like a magic land where steel does not rust....

Reply to
ATP

Oh...like Califonria?

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Yup. If I ever want to do a serious restoration on a vintage car or truck, I'm starting with an inland southern vehicle. Anything that's been through multiple NY winters and lived near the bay is just an uphill battle.

Reply to
ATP

One of my neighbors drives a 40 Ford coupe, the other guy drives a 51 Chevy pickup to work everyday and so forth. Lots of 40s and 50s pickup trucks here. Some canyons are being picked clean of the cars and trucks filling them, not by those wanting to beautify the area..but by those who want to restore one. Bullet holes of course are common in those sorts of vehicles..but..shrug..easy to patch.

Inland south or west. The northern states salt their roads and even vehicles 5yrs old used to be moth victims

A buddy of mine was killed, when he was riding in a 10 yr old Convair and leaned forwards to grab a Coke from the guy in the front seat. He went through the rear drivers side passenger floor, like a turd through a goose.

Folks that know, dont figure he felt a thing..happened that fast. POOF! Now you see him, now you dont...just a long red smear.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray; a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all. A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children. A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station; an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted." Bobby XD9

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The unibody design can be a real problem with advanced rot! Auto manufacturers have greatly improved rust resistance measures in the last 20 years. You can now get at least 15 years before the car body shows significant signs of deterioration, but brake lines and AC lines were a problem on our Suburban within 10 years. But I live less than a thousand feet from salt water, so that doesn't help.

Reply to
ATP

It's a wonder we lived to reach adultery driving some of the wrecks we drove fifty years ago - no brakes, part time steering, you name it! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

(glad I'd finished sipping my coffee)

5' wide blind spots, cornering capabilities of a drunken ox, etc.

-- Invest in America: Buy a CONgresscritter today!

Reply to
Larry Jaques