starting a layout

I am going to start a new layout, I finally have some free time on a evening :-)

I have some questions

Should I use cork under the track.( what advantage if any is there )

For trees is it best to buy them or make my own ?

Is it better to have a Traction maintenance depot or a stabling point, I will have a few locomotives and a few DMU sets.

The locomotives will be Hauling mainly VAA to VGA wagons and a few rakes of LHCS mk2a`s in rakes of 4 or 5

who manufactures a better class 47 Heljan or Bachmann ?

the layout is going to be fiddle yard to terminus station

thanks in advance

Misc

Reply to
misc

You need to use something under the track, unless you are deaf, cork is relatively cheap and allows for 'proper' ballasting.

That's a "how long is this bit of string I'm holding" question, it depends on how good you are making convincing trees!

Do you actually *need* [1] either, a stabling point can be nothing more than a siding, a TMD will take up far more space and will require substantial buildings to be convincing.

[1] you could decide that the TMD is a bit further down the line (you would actually use the fiddle yard), this means that you introduce light engine movements, you could combine both a visible stabling point and an 'off stage' TMD.
Reply to
Jerry

That gets me onto a seperate question... How does someone make trees ( the layout is going to be in OO scale / gauge ) Misc

Reply to
misc

Grow your own !

.... and the 'bottle brush' type

Have fun

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

I think i will give this a try using wire, it looks interesting. Better than using the Hornby R553 I hope Misc

Reply to
misc

Otherwise, have a look at;

Jerry

Take a look at this RMWeb thread:

Peter James

Canadian bloke doing wargame scenery - The pines are pretty good (also cheap and dead easy) . .

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

Since no one else has answered this I will. They both have their good points so it becomes a matter of personal preference. I generally prefer the Heljan but the Bachmann now has built-in sound which is a major plus for me.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I didnt want to buy both Bachmann and Heljan 47s, I want to buy a few of the same manufaturers models. I have asked a couple of shops and niether would say one is better than the other, one was reluctant to say anything about either manufaturer in general I Have bought a F-liner 57 a few years ago made by Bachmann and the shaft between the motor and Bogie was broken on one side, so was thinking that they could all break easyly in both the 47s and 57s however it may have been a one off.

With Heljan a some people say there too wide / fat, is that true or is it just a few people who know better than everyone else but are wrong ?

misc

Reply to
minted

It looks a lot quicker doing it the way he made them ( he must have made loads), so I will try with his tips e.g. spraying glue from the top down. I do not think I will use doweling though because the tree just looks too strait for what I want, although it does look good as a pine tree

misc

( AKA Minted )

Reply to
misc