Biggest Tool For Small (FAST) Spindles - 24K

What is the largest tool you run routinely on your high speed 24K
spindles in aluminum.
For me I do run (extra short) 1/2 inch spot drills and chamfer mills at
high speed, but my tool of choice for rough and prep is a 1/4 inch
AlumaCut from Rogue Systems Inc. I surface and do a deburr pass with one
on every job on those machines. At high RPM with flood coolant they can
surface a plate significantly quick. Not as quick as a flycutter in my
slower spindle machines, but pretty quick nonetheless, and I can keep
them in the power band of the spindle.
I saw the little face mill from that Datron, but I'm not buying anything
Datron. I once contacted Datron to ask about the price of a machine, and
they didn't tell me. They basically told me they didn't know if I was
good enough to own one, "but keep watching our videos." Yeah, screw
Datron. (I don't watch their videos either.)
There is a little shell mill holder in the spindle taper I use (ISO20),
but that strikes me as just a bit to much for my 1.8Kw spindles. At the
very least I might have to slow down my spin up. I'm set at 13 seconds
now. I do have a bunch of ISO20 ER16 and ISO20 ER20 tool holders, and I
push them to 24K all day long every day.
Here is why I got here. I have a job I can cut on the bigger mills, but
it will take all day, or I could cut it on the smaller high speed mills
in a couple hours. If I could push just a 1/2 inch end mill for my
surfacing and deburring operations I could just over reach enough to do
the job on the smaller machines. I'm going tp try it anyway. I ordered
some 2 flute (I prefer 3 generally) "stub" 2-1/2 inch carbide mills to
be able to calculate it all in spec and capability according to HSM
Adviser. Typically I only have to surface off .01 inches to get a flat
start, but still these mills are pretty heavy compared to anything else
I run on those machines. Even the spot and chamfer mills are much
shorter. Before anybody says surface on one and finish on the other,
there are important surface features only a couple thousandths deep. Its
best to do all important work in a single setup. I already will rough
some stuff on one machine, and finish on the other, but the surface
relationship to everything that follows is important. Single setup from
that point forward is best practice. Reindexing is an option since
atleast they will be in the same vise, but its still best to do all the
important work in a single setup.
I added that last bit not so much for comments as for background only. I
am curious to know what YOU are running if you are running high speed
spindles.‚Äč
Yeah, I know I ran into a dead end eventually pushing these kinds of
limits in this group in the past, but you all have years more experience
since then as do I.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
What is the largest tool you run routinely on your high speed 24K spindles in aluminum. ... I added that last bit not so much for comments as for background only. I am curious to know what YOU are running if you are running high speed spindles.Yeah, I know I ran into a dead end eventually pushing these kinds of limits in this group in the past, but you all have years more experience since then as do I.
Sorry, can't help, I've been machining cast iron at around 1% of your RPMs.
Reply to
Jim Wilkins
Oh, cast iron. Fun stuff. I wish I could afford some.
Reply to
Bob La Londe