OT: file compare utility

I have two CNC setup files that are 75 and 79K respectively. The files are ascii program source code. I need to know what's different between them. Is there some sort of utility that will highlight differences between two files automatically?

Karl

P.S. "THE BEAST", my Mazak M4, is coming back to life. Both tool turrets work, X and Z axis servos running. Lots of misc. I/O up and running. Looks like serious spindle drive trouble ahead. Hoping its in the programming for the spindle.

Reply to
Karl Townsend

EditPad Pro does it. From their help file:

If you have two versions of the same text file, you can use Extra|Compare Files to visualize the differences between those files. After that, you can edit the generated difference file to merge both versions into a single, new file.

First you need to open the two files you want to compare. The Extra|Compare Files menu item will be grayed out until you have two or more files open.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Microsoft Word 2002 (XP Office?) does it too. From it's help file:

Compare and merge documents Open the edited copy of the document. On the Tools menu, click Compare and Merge Documents. Select the original document, click the arrow next to Merge, and then do one of the following: To display the results of the comparison in the original document, click Merge. To display the results in the currently open document, click Merge into current document. To display the results in a new document, click Merge into new document. Notes To ensure the best possible merge results, make sure that the Store random number to improve merge accuracy check box is selected on the Security tab of the Options dialog box (click Options on the Tools menu). If you've used the Versions command on the File menu to save multiple versions of the document in one file, and you want to compare the current version with an earlier one, you must first save the earlier version as a separate file under a different name.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Search Google here:

Third link down leads to a product that looks hopeful.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Old Norton had Fcompare.exe... DOS had Comp.exe

Both will do what you want, if you like dos..

now in windows..

..you can open each file up with your favorite 'word processor'( even Notepad will do) and do a side by side visual comparison.

Me, I'm a DOS guy so I use comp a lot..

Jay

Reply to
j.b. miller

ultraedit32

(shareware)

on UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems "diff"

The gnu utilities are available for windows and include a "diff" command.

Free software, very highly recommended.

run "diff -c " at the command line. (swap real filenames for , , obviously)

No programmer could live without diff.

Reply to
Private

try ExamDiff - it's free, no install and only 400K

files being compared are tiled side by side and differences are colour coded

more info here -

or get it here -

Simon

Oh man, there's something wrong here. A windoze program that downloads in 2 seconds. Couldn't they bloat it up?

My brain is tired right now. I'll try it in the morning. Thanks.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Windows 2000 and XP and perhaps others have a file called "compare.exe" You can also use the compare function in MS-word.

Regards

Thetinkerer Web:

Marc Hanssens

It looks like you are using a Windows PC. If so, you should be able to run "fc.exe " from a DOS Command Prompt window on the two files.

In Windows XP the sequence would be:

Start | All Programs | Acessories | Command Prompt

Once in the DOS window, type "fc /?" to see the options for executing the command. AIR, "fc" is shorthand for "file compare" and you can probably direct the output to your printer by appending "> LPT:" to the end of the command line

Reply to
Mike Henry

It depends on what OS you have. On unix, the "diff" program is excellent for that. Here is its output comparing two simple G-code files:

*** spindle-taper-6.gc Wed Sep 22 18:31:52 1999

--- spindle-taper-7.gc Wed Sep 22 18:31:53 1999

*************** *** 7,18 **** 04 84 1600 - 1000 10 05 05 00 1604 - 800 06 84 1400 - 1000 10 05 ! 07 21 08M06 00 128T 00 09M03 10 00 1602 50 11 78 1470 - 950K100 05 ! 12 21 13M06 00 00T 00 14M03 15 00 1850 - 1000 10

--- 7,18 ---- 04 84 1600 - 1000 10 05 05 00 1604 - 800 06 84 1400 - 1000 10 05 ! 07M05 08M06 00 128T 00 09M03 10 00 1602 50 11 78 1470 - 950K100 05 ! 12M05 13M06 00 00T 00 14M03 15 00 1850 - 1000 10 ======================================================================

The lines of "*** number range ***" and "--- number-range ---" show the related lines from the two files. Lines which are changed are marked with a '!' at the left margin. Added lines or removed lines are marked with either '+' or '-' at the left margin. I used the "-c" option, which adds a few lines of context around the changed sections, making them easier to recongnize. Other options will output the differences in a format which can be fed to the "ed" program (simple line editor) to convert one file into another.

Here is the default output with no options:

10c10 < 07 21
Reply to
DoN. Nichols

On Windows platform you may try our Compare It! tool -

Igor Green
It! + Synchronize It! : Files and folders comparison never was easier!

Reply to
grigsoft

This comparison tool is excellent for resyncing when there are lots of differences in the file.

http://www.> I have two CNC setup files that are 75 and 79K respectively. The files > are

Reply to
Wayne

Try BeyondCompare from