OT: Follow up hunting rifle for nephew

My nephew bought a K-98 Mauser made in Yugoslavia or Checkoslovakia. Cal 8mm. He's planning to buy an SKS in the future and of course an AK-47 for fun. Thanks for the suggestions and even the arguments. Knowledge and opinons from this group mean something. Even if I don't always agree with some of them it causes me to think. Thanks everyone as always. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

How much does the ammo for that Mauser cost.

Ignoramus12697

Surplus is pretty cheap. Midway has surplus for about 10 cents a round. I checked midway for federal power-shok prices, box of 20, 8mm is $24 and 30-06 is $14 so the hunting ammo is more expensive but not prohibitively

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Using a collet bullet puller and replacing bullet with a hunting bullet of same weight and diameter is a way to make hunting ammo out of milsup. The trick is finding milsup your rifle likes in the first place.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

You're excused from ruthlessly killing innocent forest creatures if you bring me some venison!

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Also keep in mind that ALL milsurp 8mm is loaded hotter than the stuff you can get from Remington/federal and the rest of the civilian market. Also some of the milsurp IS corrosive primed so you need to clean the rifle more. The 30-06 was the American answer to the 8mm.

Reply to
Steve W.

As the folks on rec.guns are fond of saying, buy 'em all.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Killing them is my nephews job. I just eat them. I hope he wants to pig hunt. Glad someone knew what the ammo costs. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

They are concerned about use in the older, weaker '88 German Commission rifles.

Good advice, the cheaper 8mm milsurp ammo is corrosive. I've heard good reports about the Yugo and Turk 8mm. I assume milsurp ammo to be corrosive until I find out otherwise.

Actually, it was a response to the 7mm Mauser we encountered during the Spanish American war, just as the M1903 rifle was based on the '93 Mauser, not the '98.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

And we paid Paul Mauser royalty fees.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I do my best hunting every week at the local market then I get home and dress out my kill...removing the plastic wrap. Cheaper than all other hunting!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The 98 in 8mm actually kicks harder (felt recoil) than the 30-06.

Remind him to snug it up before tickling the trigger.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Reply to
kfvorwerk

I personally have not observed this effect.

Ignoramus5858

True indeed.

It was always amusing to watch my 105lb wife put 7 fast shots in the A zone with her (largely) stock .45 while the big guy next to her was fighting the recoil of his .45 or 9mm

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner

Too many potential shooters have been turned off by a light hold on a gun they 'knew' was going to kick.

Little guys tend to get beat up less than big guys too.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 11:18:29 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com quickly quoth:

When I was a little guy, I shot my first 30.06. The rifle's owner, a friend of Dad's, told me to hold it a bit off my shoulder so it didn't kick. When I got back up off the ground, if the rifle had had another round in it, it would have been used on that bastard if I could have raised it to my then damneardislocated shoulder. Chiropractors ask what happened to my collar bone on the right, and I think I just now figured out where that strange placement came from.

-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I bought my first gun when I was 14, a savage bolt action shot gun. I used 12 g. #4 hi brass for duck hunting and that thing kicked more than any other gun I later had. Before I got that gun I would borrow my buddys brother's double. Talk about kicking, once I hit both triggers at once. Lucky I had a lot of padding with the overcoat I had on. I hunted in the swamps were the Meadowlands Stadium is today.

John

Reply to
John

Don't understand why a 8mm Mauser rifle of equal weight would be much different in felt recoil than a 30-06, apples to apples on the ammo. If anything a K98 might be a tad heavier than a 30-06 sporter, reducing felt recoil.

Reply to
Tony

Hot (often times) milsurp ammo and a less than ergonomic stock.

Note I said "felt recoil" not actual recoil.

A case in point..most Savage 110s, prior to the New Guy redesigning the entire line, in 3006, would leave a mickey on my shoulder, after 20 or so rounds, while even an ancient 04 wouldnt bother me a bit, even after laying on the 600 yrd line and tickling 100 rounds down range

Ive got....hum...several...ahum...98s in 8mm and they universally hurt me to shoot them, in military configuration. Now Ive got a very early Kornbush & Co. (pre DWM), made in 1915, with a sporter stock on it..thats quite comfortable to shoot.

Some of the Yugo 98s had better mil-stocks on them so they arent too bad.

YMMV of course.

Im long necked, long armed, broad shouldered and tend to creep the stock for a good stock weld. My length of pull is nearly 14"..nearly an inch longer than the average. So again..YMMV.

However..my brethern in the shooting community all pretty much claim the same thing.

Oh..Karl...pull the bullet on a round, dump the powder (surplus ammo) and hold the barrel up to a clean piece of regular plate steel and pull the trigger. Leave the plate outdoors for a couple days..and if the steel is rusting in the muzzle blast pattern from the primed empty cartridge..its corrosive primed. Hot soapy water works well enough for the first couple run throughs, little ammonia in the water helps too.

Then clean as normal after a shooting session.

Most..surplus Euro ammo was corrosive primed. The priming mixture while corrosive, had a much longer shelf life then the non corrosive mixtures of the day. Gave more consistant ignition after years of storage.

Corrosive priming was used well into the early 70s by some militaries.

Gunner

Political Correctness

Gunner