OT Ge breaker in Murray panel

I got a call from a friend asking where he could get a genuine Murray hacr breaker. He had another friend help him with wiring for a heat pump and the friend had put a GE hacr breaker in his Murray panel. The electrical inspector insisted he change out the GE breaker for one made by Murray.

I have not seen the panel, so there could be a good reason. But is there anything in the NEC that requires breakers in a panel to be made by the same manufacturer of the panel?

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

There is a dealer in Denver that has Murray breakers, called Mr. Breaker, I believe. I just picked up a 20 amp Murray breaker from him the other day.

Richard

Dan Caster wrote:

Reply to
Richard Ferguson

Even if the breaker fits in the panel, the resulting combo is not 'UL listed' since Murray is certainly not going to apply for a combo using their copetitor's products. Many times there is not a problem but the manufacturer has not verified that. Then the inspector rejects it. Seems kind of anal but thats the way the system works.

Dan Caster wrote:

Reply to
Roy Jenson

Dan, Yes. it is a fairly new code change. I believe 2002 but I'm not absolutely sure of exactly when the code changed. The breaker manufacturer has to match the panel manufacturer in all work that will be inspected, currently. This means that panels that would have passed 2 years ago with mixed breakers must be changed out to meet the new code requirement in order to pass new or re-inspection. No grand fathering. PJ

Reply to
PJ

Thanks. I have not kept current with the NEC, and was wondering if this was just an inspector that was sharp or one that was ornery. I had a e-mail reply that explained the reasoning ( that some breakers might allow a short circuit current that would damage some but not all panels ). It sounds a bit to me tho that the next step is to require the wire manufacturer to match the panel maker too.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

It sounds a bit to me tho that the next step is to require

And don't forget, the paint that goes on the outside of the panel has to be approved too!

Jim

jim rozen