OT hand grip differences

[...]

What is divided in the op is a band of connective tissue called flexor retinaculum. It has no direct involvement in moving anything. The thumb opposition is controlled by the median nerve, the movement of the pinky by ulnar nerve. If you can squeeze things with your pinky by itself the chances are that a bit of the median nerve is taking its time to recover.

Without knowing the full history of the problem and a proper examination all of the above is speculation. This, like making dogs walk on hind legs, is generally a bad idea and probably should not be done at all :-)

Reply to
Michael Koblic

Take a piece of 1" pipe, about 18" long. Drill a hole in the center and install a piece of 1/8" nylon rope about 4' long.

Tie a bucket to the end of the rope.

Start by simply rolling up the empty bucket. Finish with it filled with wheel weights..in about 3 months.

Do this from waist level. Then go to high waist level (bend elbows upwards)..then go to level from shoulder level 3 times a day, about 5 rolls each postition. Roll it up, roll it down.

It will increase your wrist, hand and arm strength tremendously, along with finger dexterity.

Its long been a training method for combat pistol shooters and "open hand" martial artists.

Makes shooting things like the .357 and .45 ACP simply pointing and shooting. Makes shooting the 44 Mag a dream.

Also makes guys who want to hurt you during a handshake..blanch and snap their hands back and rub em.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Right now I train with two 5 lbs brass sledgehammers. It is very convenient and versatile, and less dorky than a bucket. Whch is not to say that it is a bad suggestion, I can see that it is great.

Ignoramus9191

I'm convinced that the biggest variation, with very occasional exceptions caused by health, are:

1) people who don't grasp (ha ha) the concept, and proffer a limp flipper for the other person to shake.

2) people who understand the goal is a firm but not painful grip, and

3) people who seem to think they are Popeye and the other person's hand is a can of spinach.
Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

4) The person has a medical condition that has them in pain 24/7.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The sledge hammers provide wrist and arm strength increase, but in several modes that dont do a lot for the groups as a whole.

Shrug...do as you choose.

Just shake my hand sometime. I promise not to break anything.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That's that "very occasional exceptions caused by health" clause.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

5) People who offer their hand cupped so you get just the finger tips. (Maybe just a 'West Coast Thing' for "I didn't want to shake your hand."

Seriously.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Sure, as long as they aren't named Cliff or hawkie. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Isn't that a subcategory of 1?

And then of course we have the "holds your hand so long you start wondering if he wants you to be his boyfriend"

If we keep this going much longer, we may be able to submit a paper to the Annals of Improbable Research (formerly the Journal of Irreproducible Results)...

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I don't think so because of the difference in intent. A 'limp flipper' is generally 'weak on the concept' as you say. The 'flippers' I've met appeared distracted and 'out of it'. He intends to play along and get through the experience as painlessly as possible. He's not a mean fellow, necessarily.

Our 'cupped hand' guy understands the concept all too well and needs to communicate that you are beneath contempt and certainly not a social equal.

Heh! Never did that one.

I like their former name a lot better. Too witty!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Conway Too witty?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Id not likely break their hands either. Though even thinking about shaking their hands....brrrrr...without a towel and a can of Gum Off is problematic.

On the other hand...smashing their throats would definately be considered

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I do some point 'n shoot rapid fire drill with my Colt Officer's compact .45ACP whenever I bring it to the range. It's a lot of fun. If it's been awhile then it takes me a mag or two to get it back. Start slow, maybe one round per second for first mag. Shot placement is always job 1. By third mag I can shoot to slidelock in well under 3 seconds with all hits well within COM. Firm grip and stiff recoil control are essential to rapid return-on-target, particularly so with point 'n shoot where sights aren't used. Unlike slow-fire target shooting, my stance is perpendicular to the direction of fire in a forward-leaning crouch, my arms fully extended with elbows locked. That may sound implausible, but it's how I was trained and it works fer me.

I recently learned that the indoor range I frequent has a range rule against rapid fire. Oy didn't know that! I received my training in that technique at that range. I've been practicing it for a couple of years and the rangemistress has never jiggled my chain about it. I think Theresa pays attention to her range and she knows I don't shoot out the lights, ding the ceiling or bust up the target hangers. I just make a growing void in COM or face on my silhouette.

Snow's long gone, I'm now shooting outdoors until November. YAY! I do have a gunsmoke luncheon on Monday, probably the last such meeting until next fall.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Wouldn't it be more fun to make then crush their own windpipe?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Oh DUDE! I LIKE the way you think!!

Oh f*ck yes, that would be farking great!!

ThankyouThankYou!!!

Saved for future use!!

Guner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Typically..I did 8 in .9ish seconds. Then I had the stroke.

Sigh.....

Im working on getting the new 1.35 ish.... back down a bit.

Getting old sucks

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Ah, got it -- you didn't mention he was looking down his nose at you, with occasional glances at a nearby bottle of hand sanitizer, at the same time.

In fairness, there is a cultural thing here -- europeans tend to start a long conversation about your latest research while still pumping your hand.

And, again in fairness, there is also a new JIR. But the whole former editorial staff (who I think is probably just the editor) is over at AIR.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

(...)

Might as well have been. Hopefully you've never run into the type.

Ah. There are worse sins, I suppose. :)

I am happy that the name lives on. It is a classic!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

The "Captains of Crush ' grippers kick ass. But the Ivanko Super Gripper is a more versatile training tool to help you work up past the 100 lb COC trainer:

ATP*