OT hand grip differences

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

4) The person has a medical condition that has them in pain 24/7.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

That's that "very occasional exceptions caused by health" clause.
On 5/1/2010 4:06 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

5) People who offer their hand cupped so you get just the finger tips. (Maybe just a 'West Coast Thing' for "I didn't want to shake your hand."
Seriously.
--Winston

Isn't that a subcategory of 1?
And then of course we have the "holds your hand so long you start wondering if he wants you to be his boyfriend"
If we keep this going much longer, we may be able to submit a paper to the Annals of Improbable Research (formerly the Journal of Irreproducible Results)...
On 5/1/2010 6:41 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

I don't think so because of the difference in intent. A 'limp flipper' is generally 'weak on the concept' as you say. The 'flippers' I've met appeared distracted and 'out of it'. He intends to play along and get through the experience as painlessly as possible. He's not a mean fellow, necessarily.
Our 'cupped hand' guy understands the concept all too well and needs to communicate that you are beneath contempt and certainly not a social equal.

Heh! Never did that one.

I like their former name a lot better. Too witty!
--Winston
Winston wrote:

Conway Too witty?
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Ah, got it -- you didn't mention he was looking down his nose at you, with occasional glances at a nearby bottle of hand sanitizer, at the same time.

In fairness, there is a cultural thing here -- europeans tend to start a long conversation about your latest research while still pumping your hand.

And, again in fairness, there is also a new JIR. But the whole former editorial staff (who I think is probably just the editor) is over at AIR.
On 5/1/2010 10:57 PM, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
(...)

Might as well have been. Hopefully you've never run into the type.

Ah. There are worse sins, I suppose. :)

I am happy that the name lives on. It is a classic!
--Winston
On Sat, 01 May 2010 00:45:33 -0500, Ignoramus9191

The sledge hammers provide wrist and arm strength increase, but in several modes that dont do a lot for the groups as a whole.
Shrug...do as you choose.
Just shake my hand sometime. I promise not to break anything.
Gunner
"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.
This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost
Gunner Asch wrote:

Sure, as long as they aren't named Cliff or hawkie. :)
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Sat, 01 May 2010 20:44:07 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Id not likely break their hands either. Though even thinking about shaking their hands....brrrrr...without a towel and a can of Gum Off is problematic.
On the other hand...smashing their throats would definately be considered
Gunner
"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.
This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost
Gunner Asch wrote:

Wouldn't it be more fun to make then crush their own windpipe?
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Sun, 02 May 2010 01:28:18 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Oh DUDE! I LIKE the way you think!!
Oh fuck yes, that would be farking great!!
ThankyouThankYou!!!
Saved for future use!!
Guner
"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.
This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

I do some point 'n shoot rapid fire drill with my Colt Officer's compact .45ACP whenever I bring it to the range. It's a lot of fun. If it's been awhile then it takes me a mag or two to get it back. Start slow, maybe one round per second for first mag. Shot placement is always job 1. By third mag I can shoot to slidelock in well under 3 seconds with all hits well within COM. Firm grip and stiff recoil control are essential to rapid return-on-target, particularly so with point 'n shoot where sights aren't used. Unlike slow-fire target shooting, my stance is perpendicular to the direction of fire in a forward-leaning crouch, my arms fully extended with elbows locked. That may sound implausible, but it's how I was trained and it works fer me.
I recently learned that the indoor range I frequent has a range rule against rapid fire. Oy didn't know that! I received my training in that technique at that range. I've been practicing it for a couple of years and the rangemistress has never jiggled my chain about it. I think Theresa pays attention to her range and she knows I don't shoot out the lights, ding the ceiling or bust up the target hangers. I just make a growing void in COM or face on my silhouette.
Snow's long gone, I'm now shooting outdoors until November. YAY! I do have a gunsmoke luncheon on Monday, probably the last such meeting until next fall.
On Sun, 02 May 2010 00:25:07 -0500, Don Foreman

Typically..I did 8 in .9ish seconds. Then I had the stroke.
Sigh.....
Im working on getting the new 1.35 ish.... back down a bit.
Getting old sucks
Gunner
"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.
This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

The "Captains of Crush ' grippers kick ass. But the Ivanko Super Gripper is a more versatile training tool to help you work up past the 100 lb COC trainer: http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/ivanko_supergripper.html

have
example,
of
independent
be
I think this is like being double jointed. When you mentioned this I of course had to try it and my right hand can and my left hand can't.
Try this. With the heel your palm flat on the table fold you middle finger under your hand. Can you independantly lift the ring finger as you can your index finger and pinky?
--

Roger Shoaf

I can do it. I can also pull my thumb all the way to touch my arm.

Careful, double-jointed or hypermobilty is syndrome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobility
I have a set of "Chinese Therapy Balls". Two chromed steel spheres 0.5 kg each (a bit over 2 inches in diameter. The exercise is to roll them around the palm of one hand, using only your fingers. Extra points if you can roll them (both clockwize and CCW) without them touching each other. It promotes both stength and control.
Its something to do while watching TV.