OT: Items in a metal box are cooler?

Metal is cooler than ambient temperature?

Is the temperature inside of a metal box cooler than ambient temperature?

I need to look. If that is so. Can be used for storing medicine and maybe other things.

Reply to
John Doe

If you take the closed box from a cool place to a warm place, it will be coler than the warm place for some short time, until it equalizes.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Leave it in the sun and it's a solar oven.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

if the metal box is on the dark side of the moon, it will be really really cold.

Reply to
rangerssuck

On 8/13/2020 6:23 AM, rangerssuck wrote: > On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 11:33:41 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote: >> On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 12:32:45 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck >> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: >>

If the metal box is a refrigerator... and its plugged in... and the thermostat is set properly... and its functioning properly... and ambient conditions are not excessively hostile...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Right On.

Metal surfaces may appear cooler because they transfer heat better than wood. That "coolness" is just the metal warming up to finger temperature. Wood does it too, but more slowly.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

When I first read the OPs post I thought, "This guy has never been working on a car in the hot summer sun and picked up a wrench he had forgotten to set down in the shade earlier."

There is a reason most states make it illegal to leave a pet (or your child) alone in a car while you are inside shopping. Kidnapping or even childish mischief is not the highest risk.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The reason a car is so hot inside is because the windows are rolled up! There is no air cooling!

Let the damn thread die already.

Or at least post facts, moron...

Reply to
John Doe

Says the guy who thinks putting things in a metal box will keep them cooler, and still cross posting to a totally unrelated group.

If you think your original query has any merit prove it or you are the moron. Just unroll the windows of your metal box and show us. Faqk! LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

This moron thinks you can sit inside a sealed wooden box on a hot day and you won't suffer from the heat...

Reply to
John Doe

Do you really? I was just treating you like you treat others. I didn't really think you were that stupid. Clearly I was wrong. You are that stupid. Please tell us more...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

As if it would know...

Reply to
John Doe

I must assume "it" is a pre-contemporary stereotypical binary sexists attempt at an insult of some sort. While I am not easily triggered like some modern day social justice warrior I find it humorous that you have nothing left but to fall back on an antiquated tropes such as that. Interestingly "it" is not an inaccurate pronoun in modern or pre-contemporary context. It is just a less precise pronoun with neanderthal like connotations towards the user in the context you have chosen to employ the term.

No. Of course you are right. I would not be an expert at the bottom of the spectrum. I have to use you to set the lower limits and compare.

Now lets please get back on the topic. Please go sit your your metal box, roll down the windows, and stay a while. After a few days report back and let us know how it worked out for you.

In all seriousness. Cars are not the only enclosed space that tend to have a higher temperature than ambient. The attic of a house in the summer time can often be hotter than the outside temperature. Even an attic with no windows, just louvered vents. A well ventilated attic (most are not) can be comparable to ambient in the shade at best.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

How is anybody supposed to know that???

Reply to
John Doe

Fact: you asked "Is the temperature inside of a metal box cooler than ambient temperature?" Nothing about windows, rolled up or otherwise.

Question: Do you think that posting the headers of other people's messages makes you look like a gunner-esque tough guy? Hint: yes & no - it makes you look gunner-esque. It does not make you look like a tough guy of any sort.

Reply to
rangerssuck

But if the refrigerator is parked on the dark side of the moon... well let's just say you could save a crapload of electricity.

Reply to
rangerssuck

But if the refrigerator is parked on the dark side of the moon... well let's just say you could save a crapload of electricity. ==================================

So you're the one leaving your junk up there!

More responsible people dump their broken appliances in the woods, where I found the Maytag washing machine I modified for alternate energy. It needed one small rubber hose, taken from another machine beside it.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Hey - when the junk is a quarter-million miles away, who cares (just kidding. I care a lot).

Reply to
rangerssuck

"There is a large [Soviet] diamond on Venus. This diamond helped to prove that Murphy's Law works on other planets besides Earth. "

The penetrometer meant to measure soil hardness instead struck the discarded lens cap.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The assertion was "A metal car is extremely hot on the inside when in direct sunlight on a hot day, because the exterior is metal."

The obvious counter that is No... If you are in an enclosed wooden box, you will be extremely hot too. Ventilation is the problem.

Reply to
John Doe