OT: LCD Projector

I need an LCD projector but I know nothing about them. What should I look for and what should I avoid? I don't need lots of bells and such I just need to do PP and the like from a laptop. I had a class last weekend and it dawned on me how much of a great tool a projector would be. I have tons of material that I can't use any other way.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner wrote in news:RsudnYE0D4mGkVbTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Rather than LCD, there are also optical projectors that use TI's MEMS mirror systems. Look for DLP projectors. I think they are typically cheaper than an equivalent LCD box.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

A lot depends on your audience size and the size of the screen you need to fill, also room size. There are units that will only work in closets up to ones that are suitable for auditoriums. Make sure the unit will do the screen resolution you have on the machine. Used ones can be a good buy, one local church got one donated from a local university that was only a couple of years old. Life left on the bulb is a concern with used ones. Be aware that the projector bulbs are extremely expensive, like $150 on up, check that price as well as the expected burn time.

There are several technologies in use today, the transmission LCD is common, the reflective LCD is less so and the DLP chip is probably the least common. LCDs fade in time with heat and use(same thing really), the DLP is a chip with a zillion mirrors on it that tilts each one to present an image so no color fade. There are LED projectors out there that use LEDs instead of a projector bulb, light output is quite modest, though. No bulb burnout problem, though, and could be useful for very small groups and a dark room. Best bet is to locate something like a Fry's or Microcenter and have them check out your requirements. Decent units are usually $500 on up, cheaper ones are usually lacking somewhere.

Or you could find a rental space for training that already is projector-equipped and somebody else's maintenance problem.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Watch out for the lamp lifetime and replacement cost- they can be very expensive. Suggest you check out the reviews on newegg-- that's what I'd do if I was in the market.

For example, this $350 one:

has a replacement lamp cost approaching $200.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Why specifically LCD and not DLP?

Reply to
Bill

Nice pick.

I use one often but the local school has one in every classroom. Yea - we tax payers get taken to the bank so they can loot.

The school doesn't owe a dime. They tax what they want to spend. Ugh!

Check out the focal length. IF you use a projector, see what F number the lens has.

The one I have shoots 20' and the screen is a 10' x 10'. Not much change in the controls. Has a focus and zoom ring on the front lens.

See what type of I/O port your computer has - is it only a monitor cable or does it have a High def cable socket. I use a standard TV HD cable to and from my display - I also have a computer monitor adapter.

Which means - find out what your computer has - and make sure you have at least that interface cable. See what other cables you might need. Will others use it ?

Mart> >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I'm just starting this quest, I've got two months until my next class.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

then I suggest you consider DLP and not limit yourself to LCD only.

The last time I was involved in really choosing projectors, they were

300,000 ft/lambert units that put out a 10 meter wide display and cost more than most of our houses - the DLP approach is really quite cool, if it will meet your needs
Reply to
Bill

Projectors are a huge topic, with so many variables.

This website is not a supplier, but is very useful:

"Search by feature" on the list on the left.

Reply to
Jordan

--What the heck is a lambert unit? What about lumens? And what the heck are lumens anyway? From what I've read one wants a minimum of 2,500 lumens for a decent show..

Reply to
steamer

They have pocket projectors that are literally the size of a cellphone

- but they don't put out a lot of light - Measured in Lumens or Foot-Lamberts. You have to draw all the shades and get the room really dark to use them.

For teaching you want lots of lumens, it's often hard to get the room really dark. You can put up with a lot of background light, as long as the material is high contrast.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human

sorry, it's ft-lambert, and I used "unit" as in the projector put out

30,000 ft-lamberts (I shifted the decimal pt, it seems) wikipedia to the rescue
A foot-lambert or footlambert (fL, sometimes fl or ft-L) is a unit of luminance in U.S. customary units and some other unit systems. A foot-lambert equals 1/? candela per square foot, or 3.426 candela per square meter (the corresponding SI unit). The foot-lambert is named after Johann Heinrich Lambert (1728?1777), a Swiss-German mathematician, physicist and astronomer. It is rarely used by electrical and lighting engineers, in favor of the candela per square foot or candela per square meter.

here's the projector, I think

it's probably a bit big for classroom use, and it took days to adjust when you first installed it

Reply to
Bill