OT: Leslie Nielsen

I just heard the tragic news.

Anybody remember "Forbidden Planet?" I haven't seen The Poopsidedown Adventure, except some snippets, like where that fat broad tries to swim underwater; but who could forget "Police Squad" or "Airplane?"

I'm having a moment of silence, and reminisce about his artificial fart box on that talk show that time.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On 11/29/2010 4:33 AM, Rich Grise wrote: > I just heard the tragic news.

Surely we should have a moment of silence.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Snell

Don't call me Shirley!

Reply to
CaveLamb

RIP Leslie,

Wesley

Reply to
Wes

I'd pause for Brigitte, but Leslie Nielsen?

P.S: RIP, Les.

-- Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed. -- Storm Jameson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Are you Serious......

RIP Mr Nielson

Reply to
Dennis

About what?

:)

Reply to
CaveLamb

They played heap of Neilson sound clips on the radio this morning, all the surely shirley serious gags...

Reply to
Dennis

Oops, I thought you said Nilsson. He was funny, too.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Leslie was a regular at the Las Vegas Hilton, where I parked cars. We didn't give "personals" and celebs tickets, as we just remembered them. The car lot was enclosed, so we left the keys in the cars.

On one of his first visits, he came out, and we called on the PA to the lot, "Bring up Mr. Nielsen's car." "Oh, you don't have to call me Mr. Nielsen, Leslie will do." Okay.

So, we got together, and the next time he came in, upon exit, we called down, "Bring up Leslie's car, whereupon everyone in the lot jumped in a different car and brought it to a line in the driveway, saying, "Car for Leslie." We had everything from Corvettes, Dualies, old dirty beaters, he was confused. "Now what color of rental was I driving?"

"Looks like we got a lot of schoolteachers from Beverly Hills named Leslie in the hotel today. (A term for hooker.)

"That's not going to work", he says.

"Don't worry, we'll fix it," we sez.

Next time, it was "Bring up Shirley's car."

Same scenario with six different cars, all announcing, "Car for Shirley. Car for Shirley," loudly.

"Dang, guess there's a lot of Shirleys working the lounge today, Leslie."

In his deadpan style, he said, "Well, then, I guess I really AM Mr. Nielsen." He smiled that broad smile, and winked. He got it.

Classy guy. Always neat as a pin, like he just got out of a make-up chair. A lot of the celebs were plain aholes.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

(...)

You were joking, right?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Lemmee see ........ Jerry Lewis tried to hit me with his Rolls. Shecky Greene choked me until two security guards pulled him off. Bill Cosby's entourage was always a twenty minute cluster f*ck with no tip. Mike Tyson the same. I could go on. No, I wasn't joking.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

This stuff happened before or after the attendants jerked them around with the antics you outlined earlier? Are you saying that Nielsen somehow insulted you guys before you hid his car?

"Bring up Leslie's car, whereupon everyone in the lot jumped in a different car and brought it to a line in the driveway, saying, "Car for Leslie."

"Same scenario with six different cars, all announcing, "Car for Shirley. Car for Shirley," loudly."

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Reply to
Steve B

That is sweet, Steve.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Too many twinkies.

-- Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling. -- Margaret Lee Runbeck

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote: (...)

Dead at age 38. (Thirty eight).

Have a hanky ready.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Sooooo, was it the twinkies or the ukulele music what done him in?

PASS!

-- Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I give, how did you get a job parking cars?

There were a couple of times that I tried getting a job doing that or limo driver. Think it was talking about it to a real born raised local and they advised not to even bother unless you know someone.

Never could understand why rich people could be jerks. If I had $85M I'd be too happy. I worked on a number of people you mentioned pools' and was completely baffled why they would pay more in labor and trip charges to fix it the hard way than to buy a new pump as advised.

I did meet many cool people in all the years I lived there. Some even super cool, but still cheap.

Oh, to stay OT. Never could watch airplane, kinda like woody allen movies, why?

SW

Reply to
Sunworshipper

"Sunworshipper" wrote

My Dad knew someone. He made a phone call. I got into the union. For the first year, I worked as a laborer, gardener, unloading boxcars of freight, and other hard jobs before I parked my first car. You can get in through the normal application process, but it is like hitting the lottery to get selected if you don't know someone on the inside. Old Vegas phrase - "It isn't what you know, it's who you know."

Some houses in Vegas now are non-union, so application through normal channels would be the way to get in. But still, if you know someone on the inside who can "juice" you in, it helps.

Juice can get you a job, but it can't keep it. If you screw up, they will fire you as fast as anyone, so you do have to perform.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B