Forbidden letters in revision block

Does anybody uses the forbidden letters I, O, S, X and Z (ASME Y14.35M-1997) in their drawings when revising Mechanical drawings?

Thanks Temo

Reply to
pre.temo

I have seen "X" used, and used it myself, for unreleased drawings that are in a state of review. The "dash" never seems to be a bold enough statement.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Thought you might be interested in one of the first disambiguated engineering alphabets whjich emanated from, DEC - Digital Equipt Corp in its heyday.

[from the WIKI entry for Digital Equipment Corp or DEC, slightly edited]

"Back in 1960 DEC engineers determined that locating connectors, where numbers are used for the card slot location and letters for the connector on the card ... was confusing, e.g., compare the number 1 and the letter I.

Thus the letters G, I, O, and Q were dropped to avoid confusion with C, 1, 0, and O. The remaining 22 letters were then known as the DEC alphabet. Today, the pins on V.35 connector still utilize the DEC alphabet -- as do seat numbering on airlines, and the Vehicle Identification Number used for vehicle ID."

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott