Re: Revision Scheme in PDMWorks not working

check with your var.

i've been using pdmw for a couple of years now and have never heard of or seen anyone use the 2nd & 3rd fields. fyi, these fields are optional

i see you defined the 1st and 2nd fields (seems like prototypes should be primary and released secondary as prototypes usually precede released products) anyhow, out of curiosity, what does the 3rd field represent?

Reply to
kenneth b

Are you doing anything with Lifecycle? Check in the vault admin to see if Lifecycle is turned on, and then look to see what revision schemes are assigned to which lifecycle statuses. Lifecycle often conflicts with revision, depending on your settings.

matt

snipped-for-privacy@aveox.com (Jenn) wrote in news:88811991.0408311130.71f6e8b4 @posting.google.com:

Reply to
matt

i just tried using your revision scheme on home pc using sw 2005.

primary, a-z, range secondary, 01-99, range tertiary, 1-9, range

sequential revisioning checked

works for me

Reply to
kenneth b

Thanks to all your suggestions. I am using SPO 2004, we don't have

2005 yet. The tertiary rev is for a special type of file called a DVT (design verification testing) part of the product specification. I had lifecycle setup but turned off revs in it and that didn't help. I tried simplifying to just primary and secondary but that didn't work, if I go down to just primary that works, but that doesn't help me, we are using 1-99 as prototype revs and when it is production released it uses letters A-Z. I also didn't make clear that this is occuring on the 1st time check in. I don't have anything in the vault yet, and this doesn't work for bulk check in or one at a time check in.

Reply to
Jenn

disable lifecycle completely until your revision scheme problem is solved.

i tried on '04 sp4.1, no problems.

fwiw, i don't think having released as primary and prototypes as secondary will work very well. once a prototype is in the vault with a secondary revision you will never be able to get back to the primary revisions. also, using a range of a-z includes the usually omitted letters of i, o, s & x.

Reply to
kenneth b

Let me say it differently.

Lifecycle is probably causing the problem. I'd bet that your first lifecycle status is not set to use your primary rev scheme. If you could post screen shots of your lifecycle and revision scheme pages, it would be easy to tell.

matt

snipped-for-privacy@aveox.com (Jenn) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
matt

Yes, lifecycle does seem to be the problem. If I shut it off I can check files in. However, I do have my first lifecycle stage(draft) set to working copy. When I do this the checkin will recoginize the revision and the error message changes from invalid rev to unknown error.

Jennifer

Reply to
Jenn

You need to have the first lifecycle status set to use a real revision scheme, not just the working copy. So your Draft status should have Primary checked, along with working copy if you like.

What's happening is that when you check something in, PDMW automatically assigns a rev, and since you have Sequential set, it assigns the first rev from the Primary scheme, but your first lifecycle sounds like it's not set to accept a primary (or secondary or terciary for that matter) revision.

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but this is what it sounds like is causing the problem to me.