OT: Looking for Montgomery Wards cogged belt

I am looking for a replacement cogged belt (timing belt) for a Montgomery Wards belt sander. Unfortunately, Wards used a proprietary belt with a pitch of three teeth per inch.

Does anyone know of a supplier? The counter person at Kaman, yesterday, said his father had a similar problem with a Wards saw and was able to get a belt from "back east," somewhere; but, he couldn't remember the name of the place.

I'd really like to keep this sander in running order. It's built like a battleship and has all kinds of power.

Yes, I'm considering replacing the pulleys and converting to a conventional pitch. But, I'm trying to avoid that hassle, if I can.

I've done Google searches, but that has come up empty.

BTW, Home Depot's price on a similar sander was $170. Ouch!

Thank you to all who have suggestions.

Orrin

Reply to
Orrin Iseminger

Hmmmm.... Try in the yellow pages under "Mill Supply" "Power Transmission" or, perhaps, "Bearings". You should be able to find a knowledgeable PT salesman that can help cross reference the item. While they may have used a rather obscure belt, I doubt that there was any real profit incentive to make a truly propriety one.

Reply to
Gene Kearns

Are you sure it's not a stretched out L (3/8" pitch) belt? You should be able to tell from the pulleys. The pitch line is a bit outside the OD of the pulley teeth, i.e., in the backing of the belt.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I found a belt for my Sears sander from MSC. Sears wanted about $15 but it was less then $5 from MSC but shipping nearly doubled it so it's good to buy a few more things at the same time.

They don't list them by teeth per inch but you can find out whether they have it like this:

Go to

Search for "Timing belts"

Select the width of your belt. Then select either the number of teeth or the internal length and then see if they match yours. For example, if you select the 24 inch belt it's only available with 64 teeth so if that matches yours you're in business.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

8mm is about 3/in.
Andy Asberry

Thank you for your assistance.

I've been to all the power transmission shops in our area and they came up blank. It's at one of the shops where the counter man said that Wards used a proprietary design.

Indeed, my first thought was the insanity of using a proprietary belt. I agree, any profit certainly wouldn't have been there.

The only think I can think of is the robustness of conventional pitched belts as opposed to the 3 tooth-per-inch ones. Conventional pitches are quite a bit "finer." Maybe they couldn't handle the horsepower. I don't know; it's just a guess.

BTW, I did look at metric belt listings in the McMaster-Carr catalog. They didn't have anything that was close. Granted McM-C probably has a limited offering, but it's the only catalog I have that lists cogged belts.

Orrin

Reply to
Orrin Iseminger

Thank you for your advice. I have an MSC catalog here at my elbow. I'll check it right away.

Orr>I found a belt for my Sears sander from MSC. Sears wanted about $15 but it

Reply to
Orrin Iseminger

Skil was the OEM for some of the Wards power tools in the 70's. Try checking out one of their repair shops.

John Normile

Reply to
John Normile