OT: Mil pay vs Social Security

I'm retired USAF, drawing a monthly pension payment.

But it is harder every day to go to my job. I'm getting close to SS retirement age. I remember back in the day the military told me I couldn't draw military retirement and social security simultaneously, must choose one or the other.

Last year I asked at the local Social Security office and they said I could get both. My natural distrust of big government's inability to render the same judgment twice in a row lead me to ask here:

Are they any retired military here drawing both military pension and social security?

Comerade technomaNge

Reply to
Comrade technomaNge

Yes. I retired in 1988 and have been getting AF retirement since then and I started SS in 2006 when I turned 62 (I wasn't waiting for 66 (this year) to start). I'd rather get a smaller amount for a longer period of time than a larger payment for a shorter period. I contributed to SS foe years during my civilian employments. Somebody told you wrong.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

Thanks for the info, Jim.

Before I take any action on this, I'll wait for a couple of more data points.

Comrade technomaNge

Reply to
Comrade technomaNge

It is good to get feedback from others, but the SS website is very good and you can answer all your questions yourself, even to the amount you will be receiving. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

if you ever contributed to SS during civilian employment, you are entitled to draw SS. How much will depend on your pay during that time and your age when you start drawing it. Check with your nearest SS office and they can tell you exactly how much you are entitled to.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

This is true, but there can be a couple gotchas. Frend worked for the railroad for a few years. So he is also realroad retirement act. His money received never changes. The RR retirement seems to be a locked amount and when ever there is a raise in Social Security, the RR money decreases the same amount.

Reply to
Bill McKee

Railroad retirement is a whole different animal unto itself. They have some strange goings-on with that stuff.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler