OT: Music in my shop

This is a bit off topic but I don't think there is another newsgroup on the Internet with more knowledgeable people on almost any topic so here goes. I love the Old Time Radio shows and RadioLovers.com has one of the best selections I have found anywhere. When I am on the computer in my office I listen to them constantly. My office and my shop are quite a distance apart. What I would like to do is figure out some way of burning the shows to a CD in just a few minutes so I can take them with me to listen to in the shop. If any of you have visited this website know of a way to do this I would appreciate hearing about it (a few others probably would also).

TIA DL

Reply to
TwoGuns

TwoGuns wrote in news:7256305d-5a20-4815-9adb- snipped-for-privacy@c1g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

My wife got me an iPod and a docking station with speakers for my shop. I can load music from CD's and any standard sort of MP3 audio file onto the iPod. The docking station is an Altec Lansing inMotion iM600 and has a remote control. I really like the setup, and it's made working in the shop even more fun. I've got about 4 hours worth of my favorite music loaded on it, and whenever it gets a bit repetitious, I can add new tunes & ditch ones I've gotten tired of.

If you can get the audio as an MP3, there are a whole range of players & docking stations out there. The only reason we went with Apple is that they had the best selection of mating docking stations at the time. The iPod was a factory refurb.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I had the same situation, and stepped up to the current generation. I bought a 4 gig MP3 player from the pawn shop. $35. I joined Limewire, and downloaded a crumbload of songs. Got a 1/8" to RCA stereo jack, and plugged it into an ancient stereo amp and speakers I had in the attic, and have megasounds and mega tunes. Jack $1 at the pawn shop. Bring it in for charging, or changing tunes.

Come up to today, pard.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I have a laptop and a wireless router . I can stream music from the laptop , any of my in-the-house computers or from the 'net . I like a website called Pandora , it learns your preferences and plays what you like . That laptop plugs into a 5.1 speaker system , I can also plug the iPod or MP3 player (sansa clip) into it if the wife is using my laptop .

Reply to
Snag

======= What OS/browser are you using? If you are using Firefox there are add-ins to automate the process.

One way to do this in Windows is to click down to the show you want in the browser, copy the file url [will end in .mp3], open the Windows Media Player, select file/open url and paste the url. When the program starts, click on file / in WMP, and save the file. [takes possibly

15 seconds for 1/2 hour audio at 100 kbs while the program plays]. It is then trivial to burn this and other audio files to a CD or DVD. [also works for video files]

Unka George (George McDuffee) .............................. The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there. L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author. The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

WIFi interconnect to the shop.

OR get a small MP3 player and use it to feed a line in on your shop radio.

OR for originality buy a small AM of FM transmitter and connect it up to the line out on your PC. then tune the shop radio to the freq. I have something similar for my shop. Makes folks wonder where the station is...

Reply to
Steve W.

Are you trying to record a stream?

I listen to a number of podcasts. Most are available via itunes for free but you can directly download them in almost all cases.

I like podcasts because I can listen to shows on topics I'm interested and put them on pause when I need to focus my attention on what I'm doing, or the show would be hard to hear due to the noise from my machines.

If I get really wrapped up in what I'm doing, anything playing in background, is generally ignored. I can requeue a podcast to play it again later.

Wes

Reply to
Wes