shop music?

I've been following this NG since about 1994 and haven't noticed this coming up. I listen to music in my shop, like many guys. Can't stand the radio, so I make MP3 CDs with about 150 songs on each of 'em and play them through a little Walkman-type player, into some Bose self-powered speakers. Works great, but I need a better stand for the player. Anyone designed one? Should protect it from chips and dust, but be very accessible and very stable. - GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Zip lock bag and a thumbtack

Reply to
bamboo

Grant, I think I would mount it on the wall. Speaker wires could run a ways if necessary. A swing up lid would protect it from the shop elements and the wall mount keeps it out of the way. You could always slot the bottom of the box/shelf for airflow if the unit gets warm at all. So, what kind of music soothes your savage beast when the stress needs relief????? Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

I like to listen to music, but it can be very distracting if it is loud and I often find myself needing to hear the sounds of the machines to figure out feeds and speeds. I play the radio on a stero in the main shop, so when I am in the machine room I hear it softly in the background. The stero is hooked to some old car speakers.

Reply to
woodworker88

HOw about a cheap plastic box with a hole drilled in it for the wires?

LLB

Reply to
brassbend

Grant,

For my CD player and CDs, I made a simple rectangular box with a nailer strip on back and mounted it on the concrete wall above my lathe. Same kind of cabinet construction as an upper kitchen cabinet, except I wasn't in a cabinet making mood and used scrap plywood. I did drill some holes for shelf pins so now I have all my CDs in my garage since I'm not allowed to listen to them in the house anyway.

Dust hasn't hurt the player and I've been seeing MP3 walkmen-type players for $20s (a far cry from the $300 I spent when they first came out).

But lately, I've been thinking of switching to a set of "Peltor Race Tunes" and using those with some kind of ipod device.

Anyone have any experience with the Race Tunes headset?

Reply to
akushner

Grant, I wear hearing protection that I have installed headphne speakers in. I plug them into a little pocket radio. Then I use my computer,through an FM transmitter, to broadcast either music or radio shows that are webcast. That way I don't have to blast the sound to hear it above the ambient machine shop noise. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

For a little humor and some function and maybe some truth for people forced to listen to your version of music how about mounting it on a toilet seat and hanging it on the wall. The lid will protect your treasure from dust, debris, and flying objects.

I have a picture of our secretary mounted in a really nice oak seat. I sure hope someone always remembers to put the lid down if they see her coming.

I had to cut one in half to frame a picture of my half assed BIL (top posted for your convenience) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

I just set the shop radio up on top of one of the VFDs that are mounted high up on the wall. That keeps it pretty far away from the chips and dust.

Reply to
Mike Henry

Play Wagner for metal pounding and Swanny River for filing ? :-)

I do that - and play DVD's and VCR tapes. So many of the movies are just background and I monitor in the back of my mind when to stop and enjoy a scene...

Listen to books and such. Often the second or third time provides me with a section I never heard before - can blank out outside data when busy.

Grant Erw> I've been following this NG since about 1994 and haven't noticed this

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I am one of those "Classically trained musicians" and I have found many of us can't listen to anything and work. We have no "background music" switch and drop everything else to concentrate on the music. Needless to say my shop has no music. LLB (brass instrument repair)

Reply to
brassbend

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 14:48:15 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

I have DISH network's Sirius music stations piped into the shop through the living room wall. (2-car shop with attached home.) Some old Sony speakers and a pair of toggle switches next to the phone get me through.

My Bose 501s sit in the living room with an old HPM40 center speaker and a pair of Heil ESS speakers round out the rears.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Life is full of little surprises. * Comprehensive Website Development --Pandora *

Larry Jaques

Reply to
Ray Field

Grant Erwin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

In the garage/shop/hideout, we have an old cd equipped stereo system in an old kitchen wall cabinet. Set of cheap, but decent speakers. Volume is never up very much, just background music mostly. Helps me relieve stress.

Reply to
Anthony

In the late 80's there was at least one study that suggested music made people more productive, but I couldn't convince my boss of that. ;)

Now, I listen to music at work from my computer. We have multiple computers spread around the shop for programming, designing, and communication with the machines. Whichever one is closest to me I tune into an internet station. If work gets demanding, or frustrating, the music goes off.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

My wife will study/work with background music but nothing with "words". *That* is distracting. I prefer instrumental music anyway. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

I vaguely recall some claims, supposedly orginating in research done in the Soviet Union, that *learning* (eg. language learning) was enhanced greatly by the presence of certain kinds of classical music in the background. Don't know what playing Eminem or Green Day in the background would accomplish. Obviously, playing certain kinds of music enhances money spending activities or malls wouldn't do it.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I listen to music in my shop. It isn't very distracting for me. I've done it forever, no reason to change now. If I'm doing shop math or something I *really* need to think about, I might work in a quiet place, but I don't think that hard most of the time I'm in my shop. I'm almost always alone in my shop, so maybe some of the issues other people have mentioned don't come up for me.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Maybe just me, but background "noise" makes it easier to tune things out. If it is too quiet, then every little noise is a distraction, but if there is an ambient noise level it will hide things.

At work when I am trying to get "into the zone" I will pop in the headphones to help tune out background conversations and stuff.

Just my thoughts on it.

Reply to
jw

My cable TV / Cable modem package includes a bunch of "Music Choice" (or whatever it is now, they just changed services) channels, so I generally leave the smooth jazz channel playing in the background.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.