shop music?

I buy old boomboxes at yard sales, my limit is $10, and sprinkle them all around my garage shop, my pool, and most of the rooms of my house. I listen to KGSR, which according to Rolling Stone is "the number one radio station that doesn't suck in the country"...

I leave the one in the garage on all the time, hoping that it keeps the stray cats, barn swallows, and possums out...

Reply to
Emmo

Which of the six radio stations left in the country is that one? :-(

I have six compilation CDs, each with at least 150 songs in MP3 format on them. I listen according to my mood. They are rock/pop, heavy rock, blues, surf, reggae, and soul/R&B. I also have jazz and world compilations, but not big enough for one of my main six CDs. It takes an incredible amount of time to find

150 songs in a genre that you can listen to over and over again, they have to be really great tunes.

I have a six CD/MP3 changer in my motorcycle, that's why I limit it to six.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I have over 400 Grateful Dead concerts on cds - each one different and special.

I have no problem f>

Reply to
Emmo

Wait...if you're truly a dead head, your eyes and brain should be so fuzzy that you need only one song..over and over cuz you can't tell the difference anyway :)

koz

Reply to
Koz

Before I retired, I had the only stereo equipped desk in the office. When I was forced to use my cubicle (I was a field type) my "Walkman" went in the drawer, plugged into a power source and a speaker system under the desk front shelf. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

The radio in the machine shop has country western on it 24/7, the radio out in the welding shed has classical on it, and the radio in the computer room has a mixture of 60s hard rock, celtic and country western ballads, when Right wing talk radio is not on the air

Gunner

Gunner

Things haven't been the same around here since WHN went off the air, they tried to do an FM format C&W station but it went kaput after about two years.

Any country western music one wants has to be played on the CD player.

I've become rather partial to alan jackson when doing precision assembly work.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Just got back from the dentist. Background music everywhere. Those guys do precision work and they have to concentrate. Just another data point.

Gunner, how do you stand all the radio advertising? Yuck. Those guys want me to listen to their stuff, they would have to PAY ME.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I do ultrasonic wire bonding under a microscope, with 0.001 inch diameter wire, onto pads that are maybe 100 microns square. I *always* have music playing when I'm doing this.

I think it's a right brain/left brain thing. You need to occupy the part of the brain you're not using when the other side is busy. Music does that IMO.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

| >Just got back from the dentist. Background music everywhere. Those guys do | >precision work and they have to concentrate. Just another data point. | | I do ultrasonic wire bonding under a microscope, with 0.001 inch diameter | wire, onto pads that are maybe 100 microns square. I *always* have | music playing when I'm doing this. | | I think it's a right brain/left brain thing. You need to occupy the | part of the brain you're not using when the other side is busy. | Music does that IMO. | | Jim |

I prefer music that I don't mind missing if I get so focused on my work I miss a good song. A number of times all I'd remember was my walkman flipping over, so I switched over to something else mellow, like Enya or something. I'm no New Age Music dweeb, but there's a time for everything at one time or another, and that's usually when Metallica won't do for me like the high concentration tasks.

When doing tasks that don't require a lot of concentration, whatever I like best is great.

Reply to
carl mciver

Let the record show that "brassbend" wrote back on Thu, 27 Oct 2005 03:16:14 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I heard an interview that singer of love songs Barry White couldn't have the radio on when he was making love. He'd get up and start listening to the music. "Whoops".

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that "Dave Lyon" wrote back on Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:01:25 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I learned in college that when typing up papers I couldn't listen to music with lyrics; words from the lyric would show up in paper. Not words/phrases, just random world.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that "jw" wrote back on 27 Oct

2005 09:49:44 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Funny, but I've discovered that putting on the earmuffs will help me 'hear' the radio.

I'm with the guy who loads MP3s on a CD. I can get upwards of 9 hours of material on a CD. And then I don't have to change the CDs.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Anthony wrote back on Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:17:48 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

I've seen better systems mounted in guys tool carts than I have at home. I can hear (at least the base line) over his machine, the machine between us, and my machine. :-)

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I listen to CW in the shop, not too loud, but don't "hear" much of it as I kinda tune it out when I'm working on something. But, a few years back, when my youngest (at the time, he was about

18 years old, or so) would be out in the shop working on his truck, he would change the radio station to "his" kind of music (ya know, the rock crap) and do it without telling me. I'd be working on something, and soon would realize that I was actually clenching my jaws and things would start "not going right"..... *finally* I would realize it was the damn music that was being played - although I wasn't actually *listening* to it - my head was picking it up. When I changed the station back to where it belonged (and claimed hands-off), I would start to settle down again. Strange, but true. Ken.
Reply to
Ken Sterling

Im within 35 miles of Bakersfield, also known as Nashville West. We have at least 3 C&W stations on FM, and a number on AM. Very active, well known, wins awards everyyear.

KUZZ also gives away free tickets by the handful to listeners, for concerts at the Crystal Palace, and other local hotspots of C&W.

I figured out the value of concert tickets that the wife has won in the last year alone..and its wll over $10,000

In this area..Id have to say that most office and residential phones have KUZZ on their speed dials.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I have the same problem with having a TV on in the background.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

And I heard cows give more milk, too. Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

CW would be easy to ignore. :) Randy

Reply to
Randy Replogle

oh! when i read "cw would be easy to ignore" i assumed you all were referring to "continuous wave" ("morse code")

and i was like "huh! wow! the guy listens to ham radio morse code while working in the shop! huh!" but just now i was starting to think you all were referring to "country western" (?)

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon