OT - No Country For Old Men

I watched a movie last night. Twice. In a row. I watched it because someone here had made mention that they were reading the book. I watched it the second time because I had missed a couple of scenes due to piss breaks, getting a beer, and interruptions by SWMBO.

I halfway expected something like Secondhand Lions. It definitely was not.

The movie left me disturbed. A little bit of that feeling after you've seen or been in a bad accident. A feeling that for the grace of God, there go I.

It left me in a mood to ponder some of the questions asked in the movie, an some of the points left unresolved.

What it did leave me with the most was the realization that at times, we are all sometimes only inches away from very evil people and things.

It makes me want to carry my gun more often.

If you haven't seen it, watch it, or read it. If you don't like blood and gore and edge of your seat tension, don't partake.

The movie may change your view on the people sharing oxygen with you, and just how close they are in reality.

Later, there was a special on Drugs, Inc. The meth situation in this country is frightening. The whole drug thing is frightening. And, as in this movie, there is a small chance that a ripple from its evil pond may flow into your life.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I saw it once because Tommy Jones was in it.

Had no idea it was going to be one of those that haunt my dreams forever.

Reply to
Richard

Statistics show that more people have been killed by the war on drugs than by the drugs themselves.

The war on drugs is also why the US has the highest incarceration rate in the world.

The war on drugs is evil, plain and simple. Remember prohobition?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Gunner Asch" wrote

The Deerhunter is like that for me. Saw it once, and that was enough. Intense doesn't describe it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Gunner Asch" wrote

The figures quoted were incredible. And now, one person can make one batch in a two liter bottle.

If all the money spent on drugs in this country was applied to more constructive things, we'd be out of the woods this afternoon. I wonder when society and the government will start waking up to this fact, and just start shooting the bastards.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Copy that!

I watched it again after 25 years - sat through it when the girls wanted to watch it.

Intense doesn't describe it...

Reply to
Richard

You could probably say the same thing about birthday cakes and birthday balloons.

=20 Dan

Reply to
dcaster

That's rich coming from you. You are the poster child for mental health professionals here. And yes, I have spoken to mental health professionals. Several times in my life after incidents. Witnessing and participating in horrific events. PTSD. I suggest it to anyone, rather than your style of untreated mental illness.

Someone who is mentally ill knows there is something "wrong" with them. A crazy person has no idea there is anything "wrong" with them, and thinks that everyone else is "wrong". You are one of the crazies, my friend.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

My browser shows that reply to me, Steve.

Not that I can argue much with it. But I have had treatment for it. Really!

Reply to
Richard

It was aimed at TMT, but the battlefield was cloudy. Take what you like, what applies to you, and disregard the rest. My mind has difficulties following these convoluted threads, particularly now that I'm busy doing actual metal work, and don't follow this stuff close. Some days, I wipe the whole screen clean after a fast skim. So many people I don't give a care what they have to say and less interest than that with the topic.

Been sailing lately? That's the important part. Getting ready to build my boat hoist so I can pick mine up and drive the trailer out from underneath for some needed mods.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I don't know. It makes about as much sense as trying to make sense of what you write. Do me a favor. Pass when it comes to me. I think you are a dolt with boorish manners. You have nothing to say that I would be interested in.

Now, I have spoken to you, probably for the first time in a long time, and I know you are titillated by that, and it was probably your intent.

Be sure it won't happen again very soon.

You do not meet my standards, and further communication is futile.

AMF

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

It's cool, Steve. Context told the tale. Just trying to put some fun back in disFUNctional...

Yeah! I have a full suit of new sails, so we've been out every chance offered and trying to get in a lot of different winds. Last time out was solo in 15 gusting 25. That kind of day will beat you up!

I think this suit is a good compromise for us. They are cut to 8% camber (fairly thin for a cruiser) because the boat is so easily driven.

As for metalwork (YEA!) it's about time to get myself back to working on the trailer. It was finished(?) and delivered some months ago, but there are a couple of things that need to be corrected before we try to put the boat on it. Like setting the distance between the aft supports correctly. They are about a foot and a half too wide.

One thing I want to do it to raise the frame several inches. The trailer sits pretty low, and hooked up it is noticeably nose up at the ball. That also means there is not a lot of clearance at the back end. (he made it full length of the boat, I guess to protect the rudder, but

31 feet of trailer is a lot to maneuver. I'm seriously considering removing that aft most bay. Just don't back the rudder into the curb!

My best idea so far (to raise the frame) is to get some rectangular tube and weld a section under the frame on each side, thus lowering the axles a few inches. 4 to 6 inches should level the frame out nicely.

The axles (three swing arm type) are mounted on a sub frame that can be moved forward or backwards a foot or so to help balance the load. So the job seems to be within my somewhat primitive abilities right now.

Chop saw, Mig, and grinder. Basic tools of creation.

Reply to
Richard