OT Nupla-Flex hammers --The best there is!

For those of you that have experienced the high quality of soft hammers made by Nupla Corporation, I thought you might enjoy reading of my recent experience. Their concern for customer satisfaction and fine service is a shining light in today's world, where the bottom line in profits seems to be more important to CEO's than happy customers.

I've used the Nupla-Flex soft hammer head insert for my home made soft hammer for my entire machining career, starting back in '57. They offer various inserts so you can match the hammer to the task at hand, from very soft heads to rather hard ones. I've found that the green inserts are perfectly matched to the machine shop. They are well known for their ability to not inflict damage to items being hammered, so they are an invaluable tool in the machine shop. These inserts have a terrific life span, but like all things mechanical, they do wear out. It's safe to say that in the years that I've used my hammer, I've changed inserts probably 5 times.

A few years ago I noticed that Sears sold them, so I wasn't concerned about buying replacements, which was long overdue for my hammer. The tips had pretty much outlived their useful life, but I was busy building our house, so the hammer was not of concern at the moment.

Early this year I went to the "local" (25 miles away) Sears store to buy some inserts, only to find that they no longer carried Nupla products. We live in a remote area, where there are no outlets for shop tools. Considering I've been out of the shop for a few years and have no current tool catalogs, I had nowhere to turn for new inserts. I moved from one state to another when I retired, so I also no longer had my old connections.

Checking online, I found a link to Nupla Corporation's web site, so I sent an email detailing my dilemma and asking for the name of a retail outlet where I might buy replacement tips. My request was sent mid April.

I never got a response from Nupla, but mean time I had checked some catalogs from the mid 90's, and found a source for the inserts, so I figured I'd order them after requesting a new catalog.

Today UPS made an unscheduled delivery. In complete surprise, I found Nupla had shipped a pair of inserts for my hammer at no charge.

Just wanted to tell others how pleased I am to know there are still people in this world that care about others. I am not affiliated with Nupla Corporation in any way, but I am a very satisfied consumer of their fine products. There is no better soft hammer on the market.

Thanks for listening!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Beg to differ, I use Lixie. I like the feel of a hammer with a wood handle. I have a Nupla, which I used for some time, but after going wood, it rarely gets used. The deadblows I really have no use for are those cast types. Got one once, used it a bit, gave it away. POS.

That is pretty cool they sent the tips. Reminds me of the way things used to be.

michael

Reply to
michael

You didn't pay attention to the first part. The home made hammer, that is. Wooden handle. Makes for the best of all hammers, just as you say.

The cast types. I assume you mean lead hammers. Not bad hammers if you don't mind spending a couple hours per week casting hammers. :-) I have a life, don't need that to be happy.

Cool? I'll say. Yes, it does remind you of the good old days. It's often hard to get service you've bargained for. Getting something you didn't request, nor expect, is really the icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned. I was totally impressed by their kind offering.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

I've got a pair of Lindstrom side cutters and pliers. After a few years use a spring broke on the pliers. I rang the importers and they sent me a couple of replacements FOC. I replaced the springs and and am still using them, 25 years after buying them.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

I thought that might be the case. The 'send' button is rather unforgiving. [{:~)

I was thinking of the plastic type, ie: Comp-Cast. Have a lead one with a piece of pipe for the handle I picked up somewhere in my journey. Looks like hell, but right handy at times.

mj

Reply to
michael

It's called building customer goodwill and a lot of companies today don't understand it. The cost of tracking down a parts supplier close by and referring a customer to them probably was close to the cost of simply sticking parts in the mail. The profit margins on one set of small parts is probably as close to nil as doesn't matter, the cost of invoicing would probably exceed their cost. On the other hand, I never heard of either company before these posts, none of the local suppliers I use has their lines, so it's low-cost advertising and freebies show they care about their customers.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

Lindstrom is a Swedish manufacturer of very high quality tools, especially electronic pliers and cutters:

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 23:23:01 -0700, "Harold & Susan Vordos" shouted from the rooftop:

It's nice that they sent the inserts, but no response to a query is unforgivably bad customer service.

-Carl "If you don't have enemies, you don't have character"-Paul Newman

Reply to
Carl Byrns

I thought it was a strange way to do business, too, but sure as hell let them off the hook when I found the surprise package.

Can't help but wonder if it was handed from desk to desk until someone had the brilliant idea to simply send some tips. Regardless, I'm very impressed with these people. I recall a few years back when I was still running my business. I made inquiries on my letterhead to six businesses. Three of the six companies I contacted didn't respond. Need I tell you how underwhelmed I am with the attitude of many businesses today? These guys look pretty damned good by contrast.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos