OT: OT: OT: Van de Graaff generator

A few weeks back someone was looking for information on Van de Graff generators.

The new Lindsay book catalog just came and I noticed what appears to be a new book

Secrets of Building Electrostatic Lightning Bolt Generators by Walt Noon. SKU 20900

91 pages 5-1/2 X 8-1/2 $8.95$US

and a somewhat older book on Tesla coils

The Ultimate Tesla Coil Design and Construction Guide by Mitch Tibury SKU 3125

413 pages 7-1/2 X 9 32.95$US

click on

Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

Make sure to wear hearing protection when making lightning bolts. Do not ask me how I know.

Ignoramus31473

The 1x30 Delta belt sander makes a good Van de Graaf generator with no modifications.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Are they actually legal in the US after 9/11. I was told by a guy that was involved in building one in Hawaii recently that they got told they were no longer allowed due to the potential for screwing up radio communications, this was after they had cranked it up and apparently affected the local station output on campus.

Reply to
David Billington

Did they outlaw natural lightning too?

Ignoramus31473

Couldn't say as I live in the UK and don't follow whether congress tries to outlaw acts of God.

Re my previous post I was just talking to a Hawaiian guy when he was in the UK and we got talking about tesla coils and the like and he mentioned that they got told off for running one after 9/11 , as not allowed anymore.

Reply to
David Billington

Well, actually, tesla coils have been illegal since 1934 in the US, at least under some circumstances. If the thing resonates at the frequency of some communication channel (and mid-sized Tesla coils could easily run up to the low TV channels) then they will interfere with licensed communications. If you are generating big arcs with the HV output, then it will be radiating at all sorts of harmonics up into the UHF.

If it isn't arcing the HV, then the RF output shouldn't be a whole lot worse that a big welder with an HF system. Those aren't illegal, per se, but you might have to do something if it is interfering with communications.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jim,

Please give us more information re. the belt sander Van de Graff generator. I have a 1 x 42 belt sander -- will it work?

Bob (unshocked) Swinney

The 1x30 Delta belt sander makes a good Van de Graaf generator with no modifications.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Thanks for that, I guess they had it radiating as it apparently effected the local campus station somewhat. Reminds of playing with basic spark gap units using a relay when I was a kid, that effected AM somewhat. Also an older mate told me of when he was a kid and he rigged a variac to a ignition coil and ran it off the 240V mains, he said his mother came in wondering what was up with the television and saw the coronal glow around the coil.

Reply to
David Billington